ES Recruitment Drive
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Original Post
Increasing misinformation on the media
I've recently read an article that prompted me to create this discussion due to how ridiculous it was. I feel like at this point you can't even open a single news site without seeing a bunch of opinionated and politically motivated garbage.

The specific article that broke the last straw for me is this: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ce-deportation You can read it in full if you want, but I'll summarise it here.

As most of us know, rapper 21 Savage has been arrested by Ice agents earlier this month for overstaying a visa, as it expired around 10 years ago (correct me if I'm wrong). I completely understand that such arrest will prompt some debates and differing opinions. Regardless of those opinions, 21 savage did not have legal rights to remain in US for all this time, so it is fair to claim that he has been arrested for a valid offence.

However, this article claims that 21 Savage has been arrested because of "white supremacy that underlies American policy". They claim that American officials make targeted "attacks" like this against people of colour, to basically deport minorities and keep white people as a majority. It throws around very extraordinary claims, such as "At a young age, black boys and girls learn how to diminish ourselves – be it in the classroom, at the workplace, or walking on the street. We are taught to not attract attention in public spaces, lest we draw the always-watchful eyes of the law.". It is clearly a very opinionated piece of writing, but it presents itself as factual article, going as far as to prompt other journalists to spread the same message.

I am not here to discuss this specific case, but it acts as an example of how current media spews out these articles, which present extreme opinions as facts. I know some of you will probably say "oh, but it's posted in opinion section, so what's the problem?". Well, my issue is that these articles, although in opinion section, do not present the information as an opinion. The statements are formulated as facts, and a random reader who stumbled across this article probably won't even see the tag.
It got to the point where these news outlets are pitting communities against each other for the sake of more clicks. As ironic as it is, most of these journalists claiming to fight racism are the ones prompting people to have racist opinions.

I don't even have a specific topic for this discussion, I just wanted a place to rant about something I found infuriating, however feel free to give your input or tell me why I'm a complete idiot for thinking the way I do, Cheers
Last edited by Smaguris; Feb 12, 2019 at 06:33 PM.