Toribash
Original Post
The Toribash game and community, a chicken and egg scenario
For those of you who have read this, I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Do you think this new version of the game will re-ignite the community or will the same existing community just mirror/migrate over?

Would it be more beneficial to first somehow address the issues present in this version of the game and community?
Well... yes. But not for the reasons people may think.

I don't think that the game needed to get better to attract more people. The game was fine for what it is. It just was stagnant. There wasn't something new to be said. People on the forums kept saying "Oh my god please advertise! WTF"

But.. there's nothing to advertise.

But this, this gives us something to advertise. Something to sell. Momentum to create. There's actually a reason to make YouTube videos.

So yeah. I think we can capitalize on this. I don't think we need 2v2 or 3v1. I welcome all these exciting changes to the model, the physics, and the interface. But I think we can do something here.
Last edited by Bodhisattva; May 20, 2017 at 06:30 AM.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
i wanted 2v1s, 3v3s and brawls and all that shit. It would make tb more better because just playing 1v1s. 1v1s are good but are becoming a bit boring now, adding the feature with more than 1v1s would make a huge change in toribash like spars (i wanted this FOREVER and u dont understand how much hype i have for it rite now). Its not uneccesary

BOI
[insert generic quotes from certain players]
this will either make or break toribash since it's practically dead
think of it like a frankenstien type experiment
it either turns into some shit that is useless or it turns in to frankstein (the most epic man ALIVE)
I think creating Toribash Next is risky because it could potentially split the player base in half.
My way or no way, totalatarian.
depending on how the new learning curve is, if its more frustrating than the current one, then most new players or base players might leave or be inactive..
hope there are no glitches in the new game
Na sahi kuch magar itna to kiya karte the
Wo mujhe dekh ke pehchan liya karte the
I think it's a good idea to create a whole new engine without the limitations of the current one.
Turning Toribash into a team game with the new 2v2 [...] options and making it run smoother than now are things that in my opinion definitely have the chance to appeal to a wider audience.

Despite that, I really really really think we should bet a lot more on smoothing the learning curve, like Softy said.

Iirc, one of the main reasons given by higher staff to not throw more money into advertising was the lack of new player retention.
If the game follows the same general lines of this version I don't believe that retention will change.

More comprehensive and engaging tutorials, with progressively harder side-challenges, showcasing mods that are fun even if you don't understand much of the game mechanics yet, tips that show up in a non-intrusive way when you're queuing up for a match, etc.
In general, hold their hands as soon as they open the game for the first time, so that it doesn't seem as impossible to learn as the current game.

From my relatively confined gaming experience, Toribash has a learning curve kind of like Dota but with fewer addictive aspects.
So babysitting new players into showing them how the game can be fun, even when you have a short amount of time to play it, might be what is necessary to keep them coming back.

As a side note, the possibility to boot up the game and have a fun time in 15-20 minute bursts was what kept me into Toribash at the start.
Last edited by Oblivion; May 21, 2017 at 11:06 PM.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I think it's a good idea to create a whole new engine without the limitations of the current one.
Turning Toribash into a team game with the new 2v2 [...] options and making it run smoother than now are things that in my opinion definitely have the chance to appeal to a wider audience.

Despite that, I really really really think we should bet a lot more on smoothing the learning curve, like Softy said.

Iirc, one of the main reasons given by higher staff to not throw more money into advertising was the lack of new player retention.
If the game follows the same general lines of this version I don't believe that retention will change.

More comprehensive and engaging tutorials, with progressively harder side-challenges, showcasing mods that are fun even if you don't understand much of the game mechanics yet, tips that show up in a non-intrusive way when you're queuing up for a match, etc.
In general, hold their hands as soon as they open the game for the first time, so that it doesn't seem as impossible to learn as the current game.

From my relatively confined gaming experience, Toribash has a learning curve kind of like Dota but with fewer addictive aspects.
So babysitting new players into showing them how the game can be fun, even when you have a short amount of time to play it, might be what is necessary to keep them coming back.

As a side note, the possibility to boot up the game and have a fun time in 15-20 minute bursts was what kept me into Toribash at the start.

I agree completely on the Tutorial part, there could also be achievements for completing certain levels of the Tutorial, or just one achievement for the Tutorial itself
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I think creating Toribash Next is risky because it could potentially split the player base in half.

This, also losing years of progress may be enough to make more players leave with the already low playerbase + splitting of said playerbase.
|Evil|
I don't exist
The best thing that could happen would be just like how it happend with the steam realese. Some more players got to the game because it was something new for them, this new version actually adds a lot of things and i think maybe it will help the community come back to life.