Ranking
Original Post
A Quick question about gmod
I was just wondering, do you need to have bought and installed half life 2 to be able to use gmod? because gmod looks really fun to me, and i want to have a go with it.
I think you need to have a valve game like CS or stuff, because gmod is just an editor-game mix. It doesn't include any HL or CS items or models. But I'm not 100% sure about that. You may try it out, since gmod is free.
''The second industrial revolution has yet to be fully experienced by 17% of the world as nearly 1.3 billion people still lack access to electricity.''
Yeah, i just tried it and you do.

it also says i need steam installed as well so....
Originally Posted by iamrubbish View Post
Yeah, i just tried it and you do.

it also says i need steam installed as well so....

See it on the bright side. Steam is free and if you ever get bored you could go to the stickied thread with people's steam name's and get to know them.
Originally Posted by iamrubbish View Post
do you need to have bought and installed half life 2 to be able to use gmod?

No, you can do it if you only own DoD:S or CS:S or something, although it's very recommended you do have HL2 for online games. Most online servers use Half-Life 2's assets, and if you run Gmod without them you're going to be missing out on a lot of props and stuff other people make.

To get Gmod to run at all, you need a Source game. I highly recommend having both HL2 and Counter Strike: Source purchased and installed, as you're going to see missing textures and models without owning both. Of course, the more games the better, but if you're starting from scratch I'd go with those two.

Also, even if you have HL2 installed, it won't work unless you actually own the game on the account you own Gmod on. A torrent or gift pass won't work.
You should download addons for your game aswell. For example PHX and Wire Mod wich is mostly basic on multiplayer servers.
how do you get gmod anyway?
My seniority means you should probably just agree with everything I say
Originally Posted by ivolt View Post
how do you get gmod anyway?

Well. Garry's Mod 10 is for about 10 bucks on Steam. The other versions are free but not as fun.
so you just buy it from steam and thats it?
My seniority means you should probably just agree with everything I say