Ranking
Original Post
Updating Uke Bot/Tutorial
Sorry for the big wall of text, but please take your time to read this.

New players join Toribash daily and we want to keep them interested in the game so they won't quit.

When you register a new account you are taken to a tutorial. It explains the game and tells the control, basic things. I'm in love with this game and I always tell my friends to download it and to get familiar with the game. Once they begin playing, they almost immediately lose interest to the game.

I created a new account, just to see what impression Toribash makes to new players. I've noticed the tutorial has changed, but it's not entertaining/informing (based on my friends' reactions to the tutorial and my own).

They do attempt making the tutorial interactive with take pre-done moves and then asking the new player to extend knees, ungrab, etc. I don't think moves like that truly represent the beauty of Toribash.

We can all agree aikido/physics is a big part of Toribash, but they're absent during the tutorial. The tutorial only makes a mere dent in all the things we can do in Toribash, but the new players don't know that, making them lose interest to the game.

The tutorial needs to show them aikido. Show them sweeps, lifts, suplexes, etc. They could even show real life examples during the tutorial(like a clip or something). This will open up a connection between a game and physics that no other game can show. This will interest new players to continue playing the game.

The tutorial can go through how to make tc. Even though there are threads and videos on this, the tutorial needs to show the player or give them easier access to these topics. It does give you a link to the beginner sanctuary, but it never goes beyond that. Showing texture making/item forging to all the artists who join Toribash. The tutorial can go through forums showing the community beyond the in game servers.

They can introduce new players marketing, the events they can attend, buying, selling textures. Their inventory(activating, deactivating). Transferring tc, customizing your profile on forums, clans, orgs, all the good stuff.

I know this is a lot just for one tutorial, so they can organize it into sections. For e.g:

• Forums
    In-game

The in-game can go into dueling, betting, in-game commands and forums can go into the topics included in the last passage.

Uke Bot

Uke needs to be more engaged with the player, taking the player to servers, showing commands. Engaging Uke with the player, brings a welcoming vibe.

The new players tend to get lost on the multiplayer page and would usually go to a goofy mod that doesn't truly represent Toribash. If there would be a server where Uke is in hotseat and new players can join and try beating uke for practice.

Uke should have a better variety of moves in Challenge Uke and explain the moves while he is executing them.
Last edited by Lampito; Jan 1, 2016 at 04:22 AM.
Originally Posted by Lampito View Post
They could even show real life examples during the tutorial(like a clip or something).

This.
Show them a video with a live cam of a dev playing, or anyone really can record it, and they can see how they play, so they can really know they're engaging into something with depth, with a competitive scene, rather than a random joint clicking game.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I'm a ToriAgent, got any questions? Send me a private message here.
In the advanced tutorials, there should be something like "Hit the opponents head" challenges ad stuff, with little "tips" that the player should be able to read like "Use shoulders to move your arms up and down, use your pecs to move them in and out..."
Originally Posted by Kikipro View Post
This.
Show them a video with a live cam of a dev playing, or anyone really can record it, and they can see how they play, so they can really know they're engaging into something with depth, with a competitive scene, rather than a random joint clicking game.

I guess that could work to, but I was talking about real people executing the moves(sweep, suplex, take down, etc) so the player can have a different perspective of the game, when seeing the connection between the fight in-game and real fights.
-----
It could even be split-screen, on one side two in-game players are mimicking two real life players fight.
Last edited by Lampito; Dec 29, 2015 at 05:45 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Originally Posted by Lampito View Post
They could even show real life examples during the tutorial(like a clip or something).

They're called replays
<3
ナゲット
Originally Posted by Nugeten View Post
They're called replays
<3

Allow me to clarify:

Team Aikido posts videos of real people fighting. I've seen them post UFC videos and try to mimic their techniques in the game, to understand and perfect aikido in Toribash. That's why I gave the suggestion to show a clip of
real people fighting, so the new user can get a connection between the game and real-life physics.

<3 :>
Please excuse my dumbass self for not realizing you meant IRL
However, this just makes for a longer and more tedious tutorial.

Either way, I damn sure support this
ナゲット
Originally Posted by Nugeten View Post
Please excuse my dumbass self for not realizing you meant IRL
However, this just makes for a longer and more tedious tutorial.

Either way, I damn sure support this

Yes, it would be a very long tutorial, but there would be labeled sections for different types of tutorials to increase efficiency and keep the new user interested.
Last edited by Lampito; Dec 29, 2015 at 02:07 AM.
Tried the new tutorial and was pleasantly surprised at how well it was executed. I don't understand for what reason it was necessary to make it unbearably slow (this always confused me when I was new). It feels like something is broken everytime the game decides to go into hiatus. Please fix this by making click-skip a thing.

Right, so what we want here is different sections you can go through whenever you feel like learning something new, rather than having it all blasted in your face when you're just getting started with the game.

Here's an example of how it should look like:

index
*Toribash tutorial
*Grappling tutorial
-Basics
-Kicks and damage
-Lifts and manipulation
-Suplex
*Kicking tutorial
*Striking tutorial
-Basics
-Wrist comebacks
-Orthodox comebacks
*Forum tutorial
-Replay making
-Art and textures
-Clans and organisations

Toribash tutorial

The advanced tutorials are useless. It would be better if the aikido segments lead into each other. The goal should be to send newbies into the game. They'll get the concept of the fun mods soon enough anyway.

Mod tutorials
These should be in depth tutorials on the main mods of toribash. They are aimed at people who've gotten the hang of the game, and want to get better.

Grappling tutorial

I don't do Tk so someone else will have to talk about that.

Striking tutorial

Forum tutorial

Throw me as much feedback as you can. It's important to develop this as much as we can so we can hand in a complete concept, so that the devs can focus on programing and not worry about other things.
Last edited by Lazors; Dec 30, 2015 at 07:52 AM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore