ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by Rune View Post
However there are some vaccinations against the common cold.

There are no vaccinations against the common cold. Because you can get a cold from like 300 different things, and it's pretty much impossible to pack that many things into a vaccine, especially when you're not 100% sure that you've gotten all of them.

Getting back on topic, I'm changing my stance to making vaccines compulsory for the "big" ones: MMR, Polio, Hepatitis A/B and meningitis. There are a few others that I haven't listed, but as far as I can tell, those are the ones that are immediately threatening to a child's life and should be protected against first.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
I feel like if the NHS started trying to hand out vaccinations for the common cold (or for the more common strains of it), regardless of how immensely impressed I would be with the researchers for puzzling that shit out, and regardless of how effective it was, I would refrain from being vaccinated. NHS is payed for by taxes (I know that a lot of countries don't have a national health service which works the same way) and I would rather those taxes are spent on building new hospitals and training new surgeons than buying needles to prevent a pretty harmless group of viruses which you recover from pretty rapidly on your own. But I guess that's not really relevant since we aren't talking about colds anymore.

And yeah maybe being able to isolate people who refuse vaccines in some way if they were suspected of carrying something dangerous could be a solution, just making sure they knew that they were putting other people at risk would probably be enough. I know this wouldn't be a complete solution to their detrimental effect on herd immunity but it could help a little with it. Although you are probably right that compulsory vaccines are an easier solution.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by Zelda View Post
I feel like if the NHS started trying to hand out vaccinations for the common cold (or for the more common strains of it), regardless of how immensely impressed I would be with the researchers for puzzling that shit out, and regardless of how effective it was, I would refrain from being vaccinated. NHS is payed for by taxes (I know that a lot of countries don't have a national health service which works the same way) and I would rather those taxes are spent on building new hospitals and training new surgeons than buying needles to prevent a pretty harmless group of viruses which you recover from pretty rapidly on your own. But I guess that's not really relevant since we aren't talking about colds anymore.

And yeah maybe being able to isolate people who refuse vaccines in some way if they were suspected of carrying something dangerous could be a solution, just making sure they knew that they were putting other people at risk would probably be enough. I know this wouldn't be a complete solution to their detrimental effect on herd immunity but it could help a little with it. Although you are probably right that compulsory vaccines are an easier solution.

http://www.infoplease.com/encycloped...ld-common.html
RSV causes an estimated 4,500 deaths yearly in these groups in the United States.

What was that about herd immunity? If it exists and you don't take it because "hurr durr people get over it quick and it causes no real damage" you're mistaken. People die from the common cold.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Herd immunity, generated from previous exposure to cold viruses, plays an important role in limiting viral spread, as seen with younger populations that have greater rates of respiratory infections.[33] Poor immune function is also a risk factor for disease.[33][34] Insufficient sleep and malnutrition have been associated with a greater risk of developing infection following rhinovirus exposure; this is believed to be due to their effects on immune function.

Wikipedia page with quote.
So yeah might as well guilt trip anyone who doesn't sleep properly as well. Oh and I'm not sure how herd immunity has anything to do with what you said about the common cold killing early-birth babies who are likely to be at risk from a shit-ton of other diseases anyway. But if you want to keep talking about it I think now would be a good time to mention that herd immunity can be important without vaccinations (kinda obvious I know but you appear to ignore it or something).

If you're wondering what I mean when I talk about all the other things which are likely to kill preterm infants here is a webpage which talks about a lot of them (and how infections are generally passed on to the child by their mother's through skin contact and blood and stuff) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11385/.

To be fair though, you are right, I underestimated the common cold and didn't realise how dangerous it was comparative to other potential threats to those with immunodeficiencies of one sort or another. I am sure that if a vaccine was discovered the government would've made it abundantly clear that it would be saving lives in which case I would be more than happy to get RSV the vaccine every 6 years.
Good morning sweet princess