Toribash
Original Post
NASA launches largest-ever Mars rover
NASA launches largest-ever Mars rover

^Click it.

Personally I'm very riveted by news such as this. We are all so dependent on the progress of science yet so few seem to be aware of the newest achievements in planetary exploration, which could one day save the human race. It is inevitable that either sooner (meteors, supernovas, hypernovas and other threats from outer space) or later (the death of our sun) we will have to spread out to the vastness of space, one way or another. That is, if the human race won't destroy itself before that- but, I'm a believer. I present the article here in its full length for the easiness of commenting on it while being on the forums.

Clickity click

Outline/TL;DR

On last Saturday, NASA sent its Mars Science Laboratory on an eight-month journey (the rocket) planned to provide us information on did, or is, Mars capable of giving birth to life in the form of microbes, tiny organisms that are abundant on Earth. It also aims to investigate the chances of astronauts surviving on Mars in the future flights.

To sustain life, scientists say, a planet needs three elements: water, energy and carbon. We are not sure about the existence of the third element on the planet. "So we're on a mission to look for organic carbon, there's no question about it." ~Grotzinger.

The mission on Mars (the exploring device, not the rocket) is going to last for one Martian year, that is, approximately two Earth years.

Last edited by Jire; Nov 26, 2011 at 07:13 PM.