Ranking
“Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

- Socrates ( 469 BC - 399 BC )

Most people these days say that this generation ( or the next one ) is the worst, but things are just changing. Of course it's kinda fucked up when you see 8 year old kids with iPhones and so on that talk about facebook and other dumb shit but you are just not used to it because you did something else when you were a child.

I have seen very much young people that smoke and their have been people in past generations that smoked too, it's nothing new. Even my grandfather told me that he started to smoke with 12.
And I'm sure that smoking, drugs, and so on while you're a teen ( 14+ ) don't destroy your whole future. Make some experiences while you're young.
Last edited by Beat; Aug 30, 2014 at 03:45 AM.
As I mentioned redundant, we need to narrow down our discussion to groups with cultural similarities so that time and modern technology are the main variables in effect. In medieval times and generally in history children were often expected to be maried off young and to have children ASAP whereas nowadays most parents would not be supportive of such a thing. Anyway, where did you learn that historically children were considered men at 13? People could live decently long lives if they avoided the hazards of their environment.

Thanks for reading. You can't always be less stupid than everyone else redundant even if you are most of the time.
Good morning sweet princess
Originally Posted by protonitron View Post
In medieval times and generally in history children were often expected to be maried off young and to have children ASAP

Men were not allowed to marry until they were 14, and women couldn't until they were 12. So you are right. Although, the children part is not really true. From my sources it says most couples had children in their 20s and 30s, just like today.

Anyway, where did you learn that historically children were considered men at 13?

Ever heard of a bar mitzvah?
People could live decently long lives if they avoided the hazards of their environment.

The mean life expectancy for women was 43.6 years, with a median of 42/43; for men, it was a mean of 48.7 and a median of 48/49. As well, this isn't even including children/infants. It is stated that 1/3 of children didn't make it past 5 years old. There really weren't any "environmental threats".

SarahWoodbury

Check your facts before you post.
Last edited by Kyure; Aug 30, 2014 at 07:00 AM.
Bar mitzvah s are not historic so Redundant was still wrong. It is just that I was too xD.
And concerning life expectancy, I meant deaths caused by diseases and things which still effect us (even if the diseases are not the same). 49 isn't a young age, the life expectancy was 70 years not too long ago.

I am talking about first world countries BTW since third world countries are less changed and people are probably not as concerned by manners.

And thanks for calling me out of my shit. I concede that I was probably speaking through my ass earlier
-----
When I said "young" I meant 15. I know this is similar to the modern legal marriage age but it was probably a bit more common for this thing to happen. Even in recent history the age of marriage is rising. My grandmother married at 16 and this was considered normal. I have not looked up and stats because you might enjoy looking them up to prove me wrong and then I can enjoy making another pathetic attempt to justify what I am saying.
Last edited by Zelda; Aug 30, 2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Good morning sweet princess
Bar Mitzvah is not historic? It has been around for more than 2000 years.
:v
My points were not meant to be historically accurate (which they are to the certain point where facts and blatant generalizations meet) but meant to emphasize that a point of comparison is required in order to establish what kind of judgment you are trying to form.
If you fail to do that your point is literally useless.

Enough about medieval times now because, as you might have noticed, this thread is about the next generation of people in today's society.
it feels like having electronics at the dinner table or during a conversation is now a socially acceptable thing.
nowadays, when i try to have a conversation with someone it's a rare thing to find them fully concentrating to me. every minute or so, he/she will check their phone or tablet to check their fb or whatever. i find it provocatively rude, where i will often respond with a "hey, are you listening to me?", but they will just nod and continue texting whoever...

in my opinion, technology will be a giant factor as to how the next generation pans out. i'm already hating this generation. everyone's so boring.
Originally Posted by MintCat View Post
it feels like having electronics at the dinner table or during a conversation is now a socially acceptable thing.
nowadays, when i try to have a conversation with someone it's a rare thing to find them fully concentrating to me. every minute or so, he/she will check their phone or tablet to check their fb or whatever. i find it provocatively rude, where i will often respond with a "hey, are you listening to me?", but they will just nod and continue texting whoever...

in my opinion, technology will be a giant factor as to how the next generation pans out. i'm already hating this generation. everyone's so boring.

Don't go judging everyone based on only your experience.

When I am out with friends, the only time they take their phone out is when they are either bored (and we aren't having a conversation), to take a picture or to call/reply to a text message which could be an emergency.

Yes technology is a big thing for this generation because most people have a smartphone and high tech PC's, many businesses using technology to their advantage and more. Even kids aged 7-10 are walking around with iPhone 5's when really you'd expect them to be playing tag with their friends. I don't know how greatly things have changed in the past 4 years but when I was 10 me and my friends didn't own smart phones. We always played a game called 'man hunt' which is like tag but if you are tagged you are 'imprisoned' while the hunters chase down the other guys. The fact that every kid seems to have a smart phone isn't exactly true. It all depends on how they are raised too. My first phone was a nokia and thats when I was going into highschool. I did well in school so my parents rewarded me with an iPhone and they would reward me when I did well in school (not all the time). It all depends on how you are raised because I am the kid people would copy homework off of and people would expect to not get in trouble all because on how I was raised.

If you see a kid aged 7-10 with a smart phone don't judge them, how do you think they got such a phone? Only two possible answers, a gift from a parent (or family member) or they stole it.
kradel, my personal experience tells me everyone is boring. i'm not one for generalizations, but that's how i see it. i'm aware that not everyone has the latest product, which is 'cool' or 'hip', but everyone i know is completely obsessed with their portable devices.

i personally judge people on how they use their phones, not what brand of phone they have, since it's not a relevant factor to me. besides, it's not just kids aged 7-10. many of my friends and acquaintances who are aged 17 or 18 show bad manners and are often lackadaisical, and completely unaware of their surroundings.

the representation of humans in the movie WALL-E isn't far from how i imagine the next generation. the percentage of fat people will rise, people will become anti-social, screens will constantly be in front of people's faces, etc... it makes me grin thinking about it, but i reckon that we're much closer to that idea of the result of technology than people think.
This thread can lead to nothing more than blatant generalization of my generation and others in it who also throw illogical theories and think of themselves as above it. In my opinion, there's always going to be one generation whining about the next, and always will. This isn't discussion worthy.
this is a pretty interesting video that relates to our technology and how we are missing out on our lives and experiences because of it. Maybe it is applicable to this, since our generation is staring more and more at phones.

blah