ES Recruitment Drive
Originally Posted by Larfen View Post
Once again, I'm a Melee player but this is the regiment that I do daily.

5min warmup. Go into training mode and do basic movement. For melee this would include dashdancing, wavedashing, shorthopping, wavelanding on platforms. Making sure my movement is crispy and I'm doing exactly what I want.

10-20min techskill practice. Usually there are several techniques that I want to get more consistent at or learn. This (for me) includes ledge stuff, shield drops, needle stuff, and out of shield options.

~30min combo practice. I load up a low level computer and combo the shit out of it, making sure my followups become automatic. I usually do this until I get bored. I generally practice my combos mainly on top tier characters unless I notice that my punishes on other characters is lacking (usually from getting bopped by someone in tournament)

Watching top level matches is vital. Check out top players that play your character and watch what they do. I find its helpful to watch videos in slow motion to fully understand the things they're doing. If I see something I want to incorporate into my gameplay, I take a mental note and then try it out in practice, then friendlies.

Hopefully that applies to smash 4

For Sm4sh, that's pretty accurate, but that's high level practice. It's important to recognize the different levels of skill and how your practice should change based on your skill. Practicing the right things at the wrong time can build bad habits that are hard to fix when you start playing against people who can notice and exploit them.

When you're just starting off, you want to spend about 20 to 30 minutes playing each character in training mode or against low level bots. It doesn't matter if you plan on maining them, or if they don't interest you, because it's to develop rudimentary character knowledge. How fast they are, what's their kill moves, what do they struggle against, what are they good at. You want to be able to understand what each character can do so, when you play against one, you won't get blindsided by the basics. Plus you want to know when you might be picking into a terrible matchup, because not all mains are created equal. You will frequently need to have a co-main in Sm4sh if you aren't playing at least A-tiers, and even some of the lower A-tiers require a co-main to cover a particularly bad matchup.

After you figure out what everybody can do, this will likely help you decide on your main/co-mains. You should have found out what your kill moves are, so now it's just a question of figuring out two things: what percentage they will kill at, and how you can set them up. There's 3 general weight groups, heavy, medium, and light characters. You want to know the approximate percentage you need to reach for each weight class before your kill moves are enough.

After you learn your kill moves, you need to learn frame data on all of your moves. Your best percentage building moves are usually not safe for starting a combo, so typically you'll resort to lower percentage, but easier to start and combo moves to get most of your percentage, and use one of the less safe moves as an ending to the combo. This is also typically how you learn to setup your kill moves. The safest moves in the game can, and should, be used to setup your kill moves. Only a few characters have risky setups (ZSS is the highest tier character that has that problem, most setups dependent on her grab), but they typically have good confirms off of the setups.

Then you can learn the technical stuff in Sm4sh. From what I remember, from most basic to most technical, there's short hops, DIs, roll grabs, dash dancing, and perfect pivots that you should try to learn at some point. Most characters can make due up with dash dancing, DIs, and short hops, but a few really benefit from learning how to perfect pivot, namely Little Mac and Speed Shulk, and how to roll grab, namely Little Mac. There's also some character specific tech, but you can usually find out about it with a quick youtube search. There's some pretty great channels up that are dedicated to teaching you how to do these techniques.

Once you build the foundation, then it makes sense to follow a regimen. Also, find a sparring partner of similar skill and drive to improve, and don't be afraid to play at a local tournament before you feel up to it. Losing isn't the end of the world, and it can help you figure out what you need to work on, and get some fresh perspective on the game. Plus, it lets you see the caliber of the players in your area and gives you tournament experience. Some people don't perform well in tourneys, and you aren't going to get better in that environment unless you buckle up and run yourself through the meat grinder.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Sorry if this is a repost but has anyone seen this:

Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!
mango bracket reset then losing BibleThump
Originally Posted by Kaneki333 View Post
I'm Brazilian, i'm alredy fucked every day i wake up

corrin +bayonetta release on the 3rd (or 4th if you're from europe) of feb
[19:59] <Lazors> man it's a good thing people don't see what i write here
Yeah been pretty hyped for that! Both look like a lot of fun to experiment with .
#killthatgirl
RIP ROCK09
Is anyone going to Pound? I'd love to moneymatch anyone in melee/4 =)
Originally Posted by Kaneki333 View Post
I'm Brazilian, i'm alredy fucked every day i wake up

I'm actually kinda considering going to pound, but idk if I'll be able to make time with regards to school. If I can convince my friends at school to go with me, I might come over and you can catch these hands

It's just rough having to drive 8-9 hours to get there
[12:00] <fudgiebalz> toribash SUCKS
Check my ~~~Dank Replays~~~
What about BEAST 6? Any of ya gonna make the long as trip? lol

I might be going but time is running out for me to come up with some funds ;_;
#killthatgirl
RIP ROCK09
Physically impossible for me but might watch the stream :v.

What game(s) are you going for?
#killthatgirl
RIP ROCK09