Ranking
Original Post
Nvidia 400 series cards
So yesterday, the NDA was taken off for the GTX 470 and 480 cards, Nvidia's next gen dx11 gpu's meant to compete with ATI's 5850 and 5870.

Now at pure results, they seems to be a slight improvement over Ati's best single gpu cards, but then you look at the power consumption, almost 300 watts!!!! And REALLY hot too, over 90 C.

And 6 months late, mostly spent to get enough stock up, since they seemed to have trouble getting good yields.

On the other hand, the more flexible architecture and physx and cuda really give nvidia some good cards. Also, they apparently have much larger performance increases in SLI compared to previous generations.

Hopefully, they will lower the marked up prices on the 5000 series cards.

So, how do you think the 400's will do once they come out in a few days?
\
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Just imagine two 300watts (& 90 C) cards in SLI - that's a real oven
At any rate I am not a fan of Hi-End cards (coz I dont play games a lot and I am not a professional CG artist to buy them)
Last edited by Hector; Mar 28, 2010 at 04:19 AM.
[Damned] Clan Bank. All inventory on sale
Or how about quad sli gtx 480 and overclocked. Of course, spending that much money on the graphics card, you might as well get them their own ventilation shafts.

Seems like Nvidia cards this gen cater a bit more towards workstation users doing rendering and stuff, while Ati is specifically for gaming, too.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]
The 400 series is going to be a dismal failure. This is supposed to be Nvidia's card series to take the high end of the market, yet they cost as much as a 5970 but only clock up to 5870 levels. They have terrible cooling and their power consumption is ridiculous. Yes, they have this fancy cuda shit, but that means nothing. It's all good and well having the hardware compatible, but if the software isn't being used that is pointless. You'd be much better getting a 5870.
Credits to "Baixaki.com.br"
Yah, that's in portuguese, but here it goes:

\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\= =\==\==\==\

Graphic Clock: 607MHz
Process Unit: 448
Process Clock: 1.215 MHz
Memory: 1.280MB DDR5
Memory Clock: 1.674 MHz
Interface: 320 Bits
NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ Sorround: Yes
Direct X: 11
Consumption: 225W
Price: U$ 349

\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\==\= =\==\==\==\

Graphic Clock: 700MHz
Process Unit: 480
Process Clock: 1.401 MHz
Memory: 1.536MB DDR5
Memory Clock: 1.848 MHz
Interface: 384 Bits
NVIDIA® 3D Vision™ Sorround: Yes
Direct X: 11
Consumption: 250W To 295W
Price: U$ 499
[Piratez] Art/Texture maker
Heavy Metal God

Nvidia vs. ATI is like Mac Vs. PC. ATI is better in most ways but Nivadia comes with cool features like Nvidia 3D vision. I'm sure every PC magazine in the world will be reviewing it, so I'm anxious to see what comes of it. -Graboy
Exactly Graboy!
As you said. ATI is better in most ways. And NVidia comes with more features.BUT:
There isn't any game that you MUST have ATI ATI HD 5870. Not now, but there are games that's fucking better with Physcx or 3D vision,etc...
So, it's better have an GForce than a ATI, that's my view point...
[Piratez] Art/Texture maker
Heavy Metal God

Originally Posted by Yourface View Post
BTW GTX+ 275 and up support DX11.

Doesn't dx11 require different hardware?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

Incognito - [o]