Toribash
flip of a coin, really. 2 had better action and visuals, 1 had overall better motivation for wick to go 'kill 'em all'
retired
just came back from Logan, solid movie, even if you put it outside of superhero category, it makes an actual decent modern western/drama mix. aaaand it's finally a film with wolverine that has blood and gutting people done justice. solid 8/10
retired
GitS 2017 - The Hollywood boogaloo- 6.5/10

What was good:
- Visuals outside of action, the city looks great, it sells the cyberpunk idea well
- Batou - best character in the movie, hands down. It's a shame he kinda disappears in the 3rd act
- Some scenes were taken directly from the anime and remade 1 to 1, good job

What was mediocre:
- The plot - it is fine for hollywood flick, it is more simple but I guess I couldn't expect better - it takes some plot points from the source material, adds some new ,,twists", does a decent job in general
- Major - ScarJo works in this movie and that is more than I expected - still, the character she plays does not fully feel like a Major - the movie is relatively short, 90 minutes, so I guess they cut some character development scenes out
- OST - it is fine but nowhere near the original level, which is a shame, they could have used more tracks from the original - the infamous chorus plays only during the ending credits .-.
- Aramaki - feels like a bit of a miscast to me, especially with that silly haircut - they should have casted someone more fit, the guy just feels a bit too fat. Character-wise, he is fine.
- Kuze - poor man's Puppet Master

What was shit:
- CGI in some actions scenes - fortunately, it is usually the case of few seconds or few frames, still, it kinda sticks out
- Togusa - my biggest REEEEEEEEEEEEE of the movie - they got a decent actor (or so it seems) for Togusa and he has like, 30 seconds of the screentime in the whole movie. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
- The big bad - literally the one dimensional shit, muhhh evil CEO

tl;dr It is a decent anime adaptation, worth checking out. There are many
retired
has anyone seen/considering seeing the ghost in the shell live action movie?
Present to me the most beautiful woman, and I shall reward you with chronos
Originally Posted by Powas View Post
GitS 2017 - The Hollywood boogaloo- 6.5/10

Originally Posted by AzureMage View Post
has anyone seen/considering seeing the ghost in the shell live action movie?

What did he mean by this?

[re] | #Polska
qui hic minxerit aut cacaverit, habeat deos superos et inferos iratos
Oh i'm a moron, I never saw the acronym Gits before when talking about the show if I would have read the review if I had known better. Looks like I'll be watching it though, I had been holding back to hear from anyone else who watched it first and it sounds worth it.
GitS was pretty good, nothing crazy. Revolver man was a badass tho.
goodbye cruel world
Just got done re:watching neon genesis evangelion and I am now in a batman level of brooding. Anyone able to suggest some laid back slice of life anime?
@azuremage: hollywood GitS is fine as a cyberpunk movie but really meh as an actual adaptation, plot points are all over the place, they take some ideas from the first movie, some from the second movie and some from the Stand Alone Complex, they change Makoto's backstory quite a bit, mehhh. On the other hand, it is pretty - the world looks good and some iconic scenes are recreated almost perfectly. Might be worth a watch if you are bored and not a die-hard fan of the original.

As for something laid back, lemme see, I don't watch many SoL series but I'll give you something that kinda fits:
We recently watched Nodame Cantabile with Jtank, it's a solid series (more of a school life, though) with some light backstory drama, some humour and a top cute fem MC (perfect seyiuu; ~gyabuu). It's a bit visually dated, tho (2006), so you need to adjust to that.

Joshiraku: it's a hit or miss, the whole series relies on many puns that may be sometimes hard to get since nihongo is a retarded language but as long as you have good subs, it should be fine. One of my favs when it comes to slice of life.

Non non biyori: THE HEALING ANIME. It is slow as fuck. Nothing happens. Nothing happens. Aaaaaand nothing happens so more but holy fuck it heals your soul.

New game: Work life stuff, cute girls designing games. Not bad at all.

Mikakunin: School life/comedy/romance. Good music, good characters, best ,,daughteru-loli" character I can recall, Mashiro a fucking best.
retired
For some reason I'm always just watching one "trash" anime each season. Last season it was Eromanga Sensei, which I honestly thought was kinda pleasant and fun. And this season it's fucking Hajimete no Gal, which idefk why I'm watching it but it's somewhat entertaining me so argh. An actual fucking cringefest with some shiny oppai. I feel like I've reached a new cultural low... lmao