ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Hand Testing in progress..
The hand seems like a very under developed texture. 90% or more of the people have a fist or a bunch of shapes on their hand textures.

But to the point has anyone seen a good hand that is holding something?

I quickly threw together a hand just to see if it was possible and in my first try it defiantly looks awkward holding a ball or that kind of shape but perhaps holding a squarer shape would be better..

here's ingame pics

ingame

and flat if you wanted to rotate around it.

flat

also if your reading this dont be afraid to comment. :3 its not like people are gonna eat you..

--edit.
on a second look the thumb might actually need to come around the front of the texture?
the box limits things obviously
it seems like youre starting to see that aswell

no ones really pulled those hands off befor, makes the fingers look stubby, especially from the angle shown, but youve pulled it off about as well as possible though.
nice job moving the finger lines onto the top of the hand, would have taken me a while to figure that one out.

i dont think the thumb needs to come more forward, but just position it so it maps more around the front than underneath
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
There is a hand , that holding something like blue flashball. I cant remember the autor. may be 4edrick. Pretty nice hand.

Will try to make a new way fist holding something. Its so easy in 3d.
But there will be a problem like huge deformation in grab mode.
I actually think ive seen that before.

ah here's 4edricks, couldn't find his original image that people were linking to.

I'm kinda testing a new (for me) template idea that should speed up hand mapping. And since hands are hard to map traditionally it seemed like a good place to start. (since some people cant get mudbox :P )
-----
new try.. pushing the fingers towards the edge of the cube for depth, pulling the thumb down to better represent holding something (maybe) and placing joints on the edge of the cube, and trying to nail down proportions. the thumb to pinkie line still looks really weird. should all that be on the front of the texture?

pics and flat

i keep looking at my hand and trying to hold something in a box shape and it just isnt a box :3 you almost would have to use the wrist joint in order to pull the palm of the hand back a bit

--
a different approach

pics

Last edited by 13chillz; Aug 22, 2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
here's part of my old man half set. seeing as there is a couple of options to do thumbs i thought I'd bring this up. the way I currently do them is simalar to this style

however ive seen where you place the whole thumb/wrist connection on the front of the fist. originally i thought it gave the hand less depth because there is a large space between the front of the texture and the actual wrist joint.

Thoughts?
Haven't read this thread in detail. But I would see how adding in the palm looks. If you make a fist and look at it there isn't much depth in-between the palm and the fingers. But the center of the palm and palm-lines are a bit darker.

Made a hand with just the palm hands on my revelbot set if you want a reference. But I don't think you really need one.
(>^_^)>
another grabbing idea/wip perhaps

comments/ideas on how you would do it are appreciated :3
its weird how you go away for a little bit and then look at it and go wow... yea its way too small.