Ranking
Original Post
How To Move Your Tori
Hey guys and welcome to Toribash School,
My name is ConCon and today I will be showing you how to move your tori in toribash.

First you need to know that toribash is a turn based ragdoll martial arts physics fighting game where you can move a wide variety of joints to accomplish different moves to beat your opponents.

As such, it is extremely important for you to learn and understand how your character moves and reacts to the different joints being changed.

All joints have 4 states, the main two are called Hold and Relax. Hold is when a joint becomes stiff as if you are hardening that part of the body. Relax is the opposite of that as it makes that joint soft and it will move around freely depending on the angle your tori is at. In general it is easier to dismember someone who has joints in Hold, that’s because when you relax a joint it can absorb most of the impact. (It will help to keep that in mind)

The other two states that joints have will allow you to do most of your moves, these are directional states and they oppose each other, meaning one will Raise a arm and the other state will lower it. Each joint has all of states but those last two are specific to the joint itself.

So starting from the top of our Tori we have;

The Neck Joint - The neck isn’t really used by most players but it has the ability to make your head lean forward or lean backwards. Mainly used for advanced moves.

The Pec Joints - The pecs allow you to move your arms in front of you or behind you, they are a great source for getting power into any punches.

The Arm Joints - These are your shoulders, and they let you raise your arms up or lower them down to your sides.

The Elbow Joints - As you would expect, and elbow works just like your real elbow, you can contract your elbow towards you or extend it as if you were reaching for something.

The Wrist Joint - Right before your hands, lets you curl your hands towards you or extend them away from you. Mainly used for changing angles for grabbing.

Hands - Your hands aren’t a joint but they do have a option to be changed to GRAB mode, so when it is in this rectangle form it will grab the first body part, joint or object that it touches. As if holding onto a sword. Clicking the hand directly will change the mode.

The Chest Joint - This joint works like your pecs but instead of only moving your arm, it helps turn your tori left or right .

The Lumbar Joint - Is probably the most confusing joint as it’s hard to control and can make you fall over easily, thats because the lumbar lets you lean to the left or lean to the right. Which can make you fall if you don’t have the balance or spread legs.

The Ab Joint - Is a nifty little joint that lets you lean forwards or lean backwards. It can help a lot with trying to balance your tori so you don’t fall over.

The Glute Joints - Also known as your sexy butt, lets you open your legs like you’re doing a split or make you close them as if you really really need the toilet.

The Hip Joints - They let you lift your legs in front of you or pull them backwards behind you. Great for doing awesome kicks.

The Knee Joints - Just like real knees let you extend your leg out or pull your foot up behind you towards your butt. Also great for kicks and balance, keeping them bent a little helps a lot. Just remember to use Hold when its in a good position.

The Ankle Joint - Lets you point your toes but it will make your balance all wobbly so try only do it for kicks and relax them again to flatten them on the ground. You can also raise your foot to help you lean forward.

So make sure you practice using each joint until you know what each one does, it’s easier to learn toribash when you treat your tori as if it is your real body, you can do the same moves as your tori in real life to try practice and understand how to do new moves. I recommend going into a swimming pool and try act out moves and think of which joints you use to do them. You can probably do them in toribash just like that too.

I hope you guys learned a lot from this guide, comment below if you have a problem and want help, I will gladly reply and I’m sure other people might do so too as well.
Last edited by WorldEater; Oct 28, 2017 at 03:32 PM.
As a tutorial there was nothing much in it. If you actually want to make a proper tutorial, I'd recommend looking into the roles of each joints properly and how to actually create power and speed.
What happened here is that you just told where each joint moves, something that a person can figure out for himself in around 2 minutes just by fiddling in sp.
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
As a tutorial there was nothing much in it. If you actually want to make a proper tutorial, I'd recommend looking into the roles of each joints properly and how to actually create power and speed.
What happened here is that you just told where each joint moves, something that a person can figure out for himself in around 2 minutes just by fiddling in sp.

You would be surprised how many people dont do that and dont know the joints properly. As an intro tutirial it is very effective in bringing new players up to speed with understanding the complete basics.