Ranking
Original Post
i7 920 VS phenom x6 1055 t
i7 920 VS phenom x6 1055 t

They costs almost the same , which one should i buy ?
Because i was about buying a phenom x6 1055 t ,but i just saw this (it's for call of duty and far cry 2) ;

Help me to choose , i don't know which one to take , because in some sites it tells that the 1055t is better , and in others there is 70 fps difference..
Also , i want the best performances for gaming only .
Last edited by gabiel; May 23, 2010 at 01:25 PM.
What benchmarks are these?

Well the i7 920 is a spectacular value once you get to that price range, and you can easily find some for $200

Well from these benchmarks, looks like the i7 is the more obvious choice. However, you need to consider the motherboard. The intel ones for the i7's are much more expensive than similarly loaded Amd mobos.

I also doubt many games can take advantage of 6 cores. A lot are still stuck on 2, some even 1. Quad cores are getting very common though, so it seems that all the new games support that at least.

Because there are six cores, each core is clocked lower than each core in a quad core (well you can't really compare intel and amd clocks, but the performance per core would be lower in a 6 core for processors at the same level). The hex core would be better in rendering, video editing, more workstation tasks, I think.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3674/a...55t-reviewed/9

The gaming benchmarks show that the i7 920 is consistently better than the 1955. However, the 1055 is also at a lower price point. The 920 should be compared more to the 1090 IMO. In this case, they run neck to neck in most games.

So it comes down to what you'll be using it for. 6 cores will be better in threaded applications, the intels will be better in gaming, web browsing, the lighter tasks.

There is the point of the i7's using tripple channel ram, but I don't think it makes as much of a difference at this point.

If you already have an amd motherboard, it will most likely accept the x6's, although I'd check to make sure first.
Another motherboard may set you back $200. Also, I think you should look at the 1090 if you think the price of the i7 is doable.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
these benchmarks are from call of duty 4 and far cry 2 .

And i'll buy one of these for a homebuild a pc soon , i need to decide beetween both , before buying the motherboard etc. ;)

So, you mean the 1090t has the same "gaming" performances as the i7 720 + same "video rendering" performances as the 1055t ? If yes , i'm probably gonna buy it , it isn't that high more anyway.
In certain games.

Well, since you still have to buy the motherboard, the amd will probably come out cheaper. I'd look up benchmarks for games you are going to be playing though. Of course, what matters most is still the GPU.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
i'll buy a 5870 hd 1 GB , and i just saw this ; http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...0,2422-19.html

i buy a new one especially for this game ,which i ever wanted to play at 55 fps+ all high settings.

also , i just saw this vid , the config used used will be almost the same one as the one i'll buy , and the results are pefect for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q07CsekFrro

So yes , i'll defenitly buy a phenom x6 1055t or a 1090.
Those games don't take full advantage from all cores. So the benchmarks can't reveal the true potential of a CPU when it comes to performance hit on games designed with proper support for multicore CPU's.
Last edited by GenkiSudo; May 24, 2010 at 12:29 AM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi