Ranking
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
I can guarentee you that in the two years students would study economics they wouldn't be able to cover all of the influencial economists. They'd probably just teach you about Bartlett, Diamond and Hardin. They probably wouldn't even mention Sowell and Simon.

One more thing, there already is an economics elective in most Australian public schools. The only public schools that don't have an economic class would probably just have a lack of teachers. I've got a few friends of mine doing that economics class, I'll ask them tommorow what they study in it.

The economics taught in schools is not taught so people understand the different standpoints of every economist, its taught so they understand the applicable theories and economic practices and solutions used in their countries. Maynard Keynes is the founder of that school of economic thought but his work isn't solely used in our economy, also his work has been improved by many other economists.

The philosophy thing, well, there is a lot to learn but I do think that perhaps an introduction to it in order to ignite a spark could be a good thing. I will be 18 soon and it has taken me until now, really, to discover philosophy at all. Surely I have found it at a young age by comparison to some. I would assume that as people grow older and change the way they see the world they may have become interested in philosophy as they got older, but if they had known of it earlier perhaps they would have become interested in it earlier or known where to start when they did finally gain an interest.

Sure enough, the Philosopher kings may spring to mind when talking of educating everyone in philosophy, but tbh I feel that we have been unfortunate in the selection of those whom have been called Philosopher Kings and through further education, we may get a good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
The economics taught in schools is not taught so people understand the different standpoints of every economist, its taught so they understand the applicable theories and economic practices and solutions used in their countries. Maynard Keynes is the founder of that school of economic thought but his work isn't solely used in our economy, also his work has been improved by many other economists.

Ergo, the govt. would clearly be teaching students all about Keynesian economics. Diametrically opposed to, ofcourse, Friedman.

Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
The philosophy thing, well, there is a lot to learn but I do think that perhaps an introduction to it in order to ignite a spark could be a good thing. I will be 18 soon and it has taken me until now, really, to discover philosophy at all. Surely I have found it at a young age by comparison to some. I would assume that as people grow older and change the way they see the world they may have become interested in philosophy as they got older, but if they had known of it earlier perhaps they would have become interested in it earlier or known where to start when they did finally gain an interest.

Whether the Australian govt. decides to teach them about Pluto or Rand it doesn't really matter. Does the m/b/illions that go into supplying the schools with new philosophy textbooks and educating teachers about the various ideologies justify the end result? A bunch of pretentious philosoraptors? Or even worse, the students don't pay any attention to it at all? Try teaching an kid with an IQ of 70 about Nietsche's Zarathustra.
Regardless, in no way is philosophy as important as the core subjects and economics.

Admittedly though, it would be fun.
[doc]
Ergo, the govt. would clearly be teaching students all about Keynesian economics. Diametrically opposed to, ofcourse, Friedman.

But it defeats the point in terms of the teachers or government deciding that Keynesian economics is better than that of Reaganomics simply because they like it better. The students should only be taught what is relevant to their economy. This is not to say that we aren't taught about Friedman btw, we are, but the point is that is rambling on about economic theory, no matter how interesting, is pointless if it isn't relevant to the student. Surely those who do have an interest in the theories and speculations of other economists will look into that in their own time, but those who are sticking to the mandatory course and the school curriculum will not be disadvantaged in terms of their economic understanding, but only their exposure to different ideas.

Whether the Australian govt. decides to teach them about Pluto or Rand it doesn't really matter. Does the m/b/illions that go into supplying the schools with new philosophy textbooks and educating teachers about the various ideologies justify the end result? A bunch of pretentious philosoraptors? Or even worse, the students don't pay any attention to it at all? Try teaching an kid with an IQ of 70 about Nietsche's Zarathustra.
Regardless, in no way is philosophy as important as the core subjects and economics.

Admittedly though, it would be fun

Perhaps we can only dream
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
I believe that English would make sense to be the only language, I mean other languages such as Spanish and French are good too, This is mostly because most of us on this speak English, and most of the other countries learn English and SPanish, and french. It's all about popular learning, yet I do agree there should be some variety in there language teachings. As far as other subjects go the usual Goverment/history/economics, math(the language we can all speak), PE(good to keep down obesity), science, Religion(its nice to have faith, maybe optional though), and most of the other customary subjects.
The whole system, nay, the whole AMERICA is fucked up.
There are to many reasons to say in a post, and really, I dont feel like typing them all.
But the school system is a factor. They teach you so many things you DONT need to know,
and those things you forget anyways. Also are you guys really debating if people should know english? If your in America, yeah you should. Although im not saying everyone should only speak english, im just saying everyone needs to know it just in case.
Again, the school system teaches you so many things you dont use, its really a waste of your time (like 2/4). In till collage you learn crap.
Although you need math and grammar to be tought at a young age, do you really think you should learn science and history and a young age? nooo. Ok, it does help you realize if you have a love for it. BUT what about the other 30 some kids? Most of the kids wont even become a scientist, and if they do there probably going to take REAL science in high school. Also there aren't even alot of jobs for history? like digging for bones? thats digging? not oh "I LEARNED ABOUT GEORGE WASHINGTON I KNOW WHERE TO DIG NOW"
but dont get me wrong, if you know history itd be a main factor.
But it most likely wouldnt be the history you learned when you were like 8 or 9.
Itd be the history you learned in high school, collage, and so on.
Well thats just my thinkings.
People who think studying history is useless don't know a whole lot about history.

George Santayana once said...
Originally Posted by hoho123 View Post

I Want To ManBreakfast Massage Me When He Massage I Will Pay

Well the school I go to, and I believe my entire city (the education system, aside from federal exams, is done mostly by the states in germany - and Hamburg is both a city and a state), has the choice between RE (It's basically the same thing as Philo though, but easier) and Philosophy mandatory from grade 8 to 12, and in those years I've had (8 to 11 atm) we've covered only very few specific philosophers. Sure, Kant and Hume get name dropped there and there, and we some times have lessons based around reading an excerpt of usually Kant. We sometimes get a brief overview of their philosophical doctrines and then are asked to state our opinion to them based on certain examples. The rest of the time, it's what can be summarized as a "logic debate class", which is just really an open class-wide debate about some issue, political, philosophical, etc. The main point of the class is thus not to explain philosophical concepts to students, but rather to hone the logical thinking processes and debating skills of said students. The goal would be to take your 70 IQ student and attempt to make him 80 IQ.

Out of experience, I find that this format has really helped several of the students, and it can get quite interesting at certain points.
tl;dr: deprived is spergin'
Originally Posted by Deprived View Post
Well the school I go to, and I believe my entire city (the education system, aside from federal exams, is done mostly by the states in germany - and Hamburg is both a city and a state), has the choice between RE (It's basically the same thing as Philo though, but easier) and Philosophy mandatory from grade 8 to 12, and in those years I've had (8 to 11 atm) we've covered only very few specific philosophers. Sure, Kant and Hume get name dropped there and there, and we some times have lessons based around reading an excerpt of usually Kant. We sometimes get a brief overview of their philosophical doctrines and then are asked to state our opinion to them based on certain examples. The rest of the time, it's what can be summarized as a "logic debate class", which is just really an open class-wide debate about some issue, political, philosophical, etc. The main point of the class is thus not to explain philosophical concepts to students, but rather to hone the logical thinking processes and debating skills of said students. The goal would be to take your 70 IQ student and attempt to make him 80 IQ.

Out of experience, I find that this format has really helped several of the students, and it can get quite interesting at certain points.

If only we had such a system here.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Maths should be compulsory- Maths is useful. Shops, airports, Ebay...Just a good skill to have.

Technology Should Be compulsory- Look at the age we live in, it's everywhere.

Social Studies should be compulsory- You have to be social to have friends...

I also agree with War_Hero. Literature should be kept strong in society.
Originally Posted by Solax View Post
Maths should be compulsory- Maths is useful. Shops, airports, Ebay...Just a good skill to have.

Technology Should Be compulsory- Look at the age we live in, it's everywhere.

Social Studies should be compulsory- You have to be social to have friends...

I also agree with War_Hero. Literature should be kept strong in society.

Do you understand what Social Studies means? It's not about being social and making friends.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!