ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Trying to reach next art level / looking for some advices
So I am Keaghan.
Some of you may already know me and some of you may not.
I managed to make a couple of less known but noticed heads in Toribash.
The last two were a small step forward ("Forgotten Dream" and "King of the Ocean").
However all these works were done in my old, not very detailed style.
I don't think they are bad but I think they could definitely be better.
The truth is that I spent 2-3 hours drawing them on average, skipping many important aspects and considered them as finished.
I just told myself that if I make some more this year, my level will automatically increase, but what is the point if I make the same mistakes.
So recently I decided to spend some time learning shading, brightening, learning perspectives and shapes.
Now, after 3 weeks of fixing my habits, this head is first example of my new style (it's almost finished).
I know that I still have a long way to go, so all advice is welcome.

My themes are still realism, surrealism and abstraction.
My inspiratons are: Jebus, Bless, Monobi and Weppetko.

Gentleman

Improved (final)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Big update (My first texture set)

First wip - sketch

Last edited by Bison; Apr 19, 2019 at 11:32 AM.
Try to use as many colors as you can (which also means don't paint over grayscale, that sucks), combine sharp and soft edges and learn anatomy. Hope to see some new works from you soon, keep it up!
RELAX ALL
Thanks for feedback and advice.
I will try to improve the things you have mentioned, and when it comes to anatomy, I will try to look for examples of what I have to draw.

I would also like to make sets in the future, however not tribal or robotic type, but more humanoid.
That's why when I started to create "Gentleman" I also started drawing a "muscle set" to practice drawing muscles on a tori model and at the same time have a good point of reference for future work.
Last edited by Bison; Aug 20, 2019 at 05:01 AM.
Looks good man. Even though the head is considered finished, i'd suggest trying to add still a bit more detail to the eyebrows and moustache, would make 'em pop out more and give that 'wow' effect.

Sketch for the set looks like it has potential for something great, keep it up. o/
It's All About Expansion
True, it could add some character and life to this texture.
This head is already in circulation so I won't change anything, but I will keep your advice in mind when I make my future works.
I'm liking it. The gentleman texture is well mapped even if a bit empty in the back/sides. It seems that all the detail is on the face while the rest is a bit blurry, ears included. Also the shadows are too saturated and it looks somewhat strange (generally the more light hits a surface, the more saturated the color is).

The set is looking great, except maybe for the byceps that are a bit weird. Quite an ambitious project, good luck with it!