Toribash
Original Post
Improvement to Help Squad Identification
So Ingame badges are a thing for every other group that has an effect in game, other than Admins (Even Event Artists have one) so why not Help Squad? Or at least something to make them more identifiable in game.

Pros:
  1. With the Help Squad's increased necessity for activity in game, would it not be helpful for them to be identifiable to others? They have no current prefix symbol or anything, and considering their work is mostly with beginners to the game, it would help to have something clear to label them with. Drawing them towards the member for help. (A prefix is possible, however I am unsure of how people are going to globally be able to associate the prefix symbol with the Help Squad, a '?' maybe?).
  2. (A Side Note) With an on-going Recruitment Drive, wouldn't it be nice to say "Oh and you get a cool looking in game badge" as just a little extra that would attract players towards the idea of getting involved and helping the retention rates of the game. Especially with the amount of work they are doing for very little recognition, it would help to bring light to them in the community. (Read This Post Before Commenting On This)

For Anyone Thinking of Applying

3. As mentioned, almost every other staff position has one and so it simply adds stigma to the group as 'not part of the staff team' when they are undeniably vital to the community.

Cons:
  1. Time taken out of the item forgers days, and the creation of a new item (unaware of how arduous this process is).

If you have any additional pros and cons, then please provide them below and I'll add them to the OP.
Last edited by Bless; Feb 15, 2017 at 11:09 PM.
I don't agree with the 2nd point, I think if the player wants to be a helping team member then some in game badge shouldn't be a factor in his/her decision.
I agree with the rest, it is important to identify help squad members in game as they are probably the first people you would go to if you have some question about the game.
Last edited by Smaguris; Feb 15, 2017 at 01:34 PM.
Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
I don't agree with the 2nd point, I think if the player wants to be a helping team member then some in game badge shouldn't be a factor in his/her decision.
I agree with the rest, it is important to identify help squad members in game as they are probably the first people you would go to if you have some question about the game.

There is a significant difference between the 'shouldn't' and the reality. It's the little things that would attract people, and with the amount (and type) of work being done with very little reward or recognition, every little helps, as it is human instinct to veer away from something that does not grant you personal gain, that's just reality. All this whilst also helping to give some recognition to these members of the community.
Last edited by Bless; Feb 15, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
tbh anyone that would choose to send in an application based on whether or not they get a staff badge shouldn't be in the Help Squad.

Your other points are valid and I agree with them.
Originally Posted by Ele View Post
tbh anyone that would choose to send in an application based on whether or not they get a staff badge shouldn't be in the Help Squad.

Your other points are valid and I agree with them.

Originally Posted by Sense View Post
as just a little extra

I understand your point however, the second point is a side note of sorts to the other two, more on the topic of manipulation of human instinct to partake only for an eventual, or ongoing, reward. It is maybe more suitable for a private message than a suggestions board, however I added it for the sake of personal opinion on the situation.

I have made the point more clear, thank you.
Last edited by Bless; Feb 15, 2017 at 04:09 PM.
Originally Posted by Sense View Post
There is a significant difference between the 'shouldn't' and the reality. It's the little things that would attract people, and with the amount (and type) of work being done with very little reward or recognition, every little helps, as it is human instinct to veer away from something that does not grant you personal gain, that's just reality. All this whilst also helping to give some recognition to these members of the community.

I am wondering how attracting more people to apply would be a good thing if those people would apply for the sake of rewards that they get. If a person is right for the position and he is motivated to do the job he will be willing to do it for no rewards whatsoever. Those should NEVER be a factor when deciding whether to apply or not. We are talking about forum moderation, not a full-time job after all.
I agree with smag and ele
Enter onthe help squad in order to win an item, I think it will end the chances of that person becoming a good helper.

I think it would be nice to give a little more recognition to help squad members, because their work is not easy, novices have infinite doubts
Originally Posted by Ele View Post

Originally Posted by Smaguris View Post
I am wondering how attracting more people to apply would be a good thing if those people would apply for the sake of rewards that they get.

Originally Posted by Code View Post
I agree with smag and ele
Enter onthe help squad in order to win an item, I think it will end the chances of that person becoming a good helper.

Let me clarify this, that statement is a passing statement created as it would help to broaden the pot of people applying to join the help squad. Does it mean they would necessarily become members? No, they still have to pass the same test and they still have to have the correct qualities. Does it however mean that the help squad will have more people to choose from, who may or may not have been brought into applying for materialistic reasons? Yes.

Are there intentions entirely relevant if they are doing the job and getting the job done? Someone could sign up solely for materialistic reasons and be an incredibly helpful member, without any trouble. No one is going to write out a serious app with background and experiences backing them up all just for a badge, and the idea of the recruitment process is to filter out the bad from the good. But does it mean that the Help Squad may have a larger pot of members to choose from? Yes, and that is the relevancy of the point.
Badges are made by item forgers, so if you want this to be made, post on their mega thread about it.

About identification: The higher-ups haven't expressed that they would like for HS to have in-game identification. It takes a lot of convincing and when I was HS I would have to stay up until 2 A.M. just to talk to someone about ideas and the direction of HS. Needless to say, I can't do that anymore.

About HS: Help Squad, in my opinion, is at a good position right now. It does not need to rapidly expand into unfamiliar territories, it will cause a burnout within its members. They are already taking up more responsibility by sitting in beginner rooms and talking to new people, which, quite frankly, is very rigorous and boring. So, as long as HS helps new people by teaching them new things, engaging with them and getting them involved with the community, that is all that should matter. It's all about getting user retention up.

Also: if you're worried about getting rewarded for being staff or having a colored name on the forums or in-game, please don't apply. Put your time and energy someplace else.
Last edited by royal; Feb 15, 2017 at 09:57 PM.
Originally Posted by royal View Post
Badges are made by item forgers, so if you want this to be made, post on their mega thread about it.

About identification: The higher-ups haven't expressed that they would like for HS to have in-game identification. It takes a lot of convincing and when I was HS I would have to stay up until 2 A.M. just to talk to someone about ideas and the direction of HS. Needless to say, I can't do that anymore.

About HS: Help Squad, in my opinion, is at a good position right now. It does not need to rapidly expand into unfamiliar territories, it will cause a burnout within its members. They are already taking up more responsibility by sitting in beginner rooms and talking to new people, which, quite frankly, is very rigorous and boring. So, as long as HS helps new people by teaching them new things, engaging with them and getting them involved with the community, that is all that should matter. It's all about getting user retention up.

Also: if you're worried about getting rewarded for being staff or having a colored name on the forums or in-game, please don't apply. Put your time and energy someplace else.

Makes sense. Then again, as "rigorous" as the job is, it couldn't hurt. Personally, I'm nuetral either way, but I believe being identifiable ingame isn't a bad idea at all because as you said, HS ought to help out new players, etc. The suggestion can really turn this argument both ways imo.

Thought I'd leave my thoughts here :^)
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.