Toribash
I also do 3D modelling, this sounds like a fun way to test my skills. How can I import custom Items into the game?

Looks to me you have some shadowing issues, On the thumb and parts of the knife.

Idk if what you are using is similar to what I can 3d model in, But you should use triangular plane's to fix that.

To explain - A mesh made of triangles, when bent or folded will fold along the vertex of the mesh.

But square planes can fold along the actual polygon face, causing the lines and shadowing effect, to fix you need to break the areas up that are shadowing in to triangular faces.

Good job though, I like the berret but it looks more like a wooly hat.

I have not looked at how to make these items yet but plan to soon, What modeling program do you have to use?
- Blu -
Hmm, the beret is probably the best thing here, but I'll g=tell you the few things I noticed:

Fez: looks nearly perfect, nicely proportioned to toris head and everything. It would look much better if you used smooth shading before exporting it (just click smooth instead of flat in blender, idk about other programs if you use them)

Beret: Looks awesome! Only things I can say is that its not very beret-like, it looks more like just a knit cap with a very large ball thing (idk what theyre called lol). beret's are more flattish, which is the entire style of the hat. It looks like you also managed to smooth shade the main part while leaving the round bit flat and angular... It seems very high poly too, which isn't at all an issue if you and others are just using it through your custom folder, but it'd be good practice to try and keep poly counts around 1k, especially if you have any ambitions of being in IF.

Hands: not perfect, but a very decent try. Certainly turned out better than my attempt ;)

Dagger: I really don't know what to say about this... From the pictures it seems just kind of bad. I can't say anything you can do to fix this other than try again. The blade is a bit misshapen seemiingly, the back edge of the blade being the main issue (causing the weapon to start skinny and end fat, not a typical weapon design). The handle is nonexistent, it's basically just a big edgy pommel. I'm guessing you were going for an ottoman style dagger since you mentioned your heritage and it seems similar, but while they do seem to have short handles (at least in proportion to the blade) they definitely have a handle section that runs straight away from the blade and has a proper place to grip the weapon. I would suggest taking the "handle" you have now and shrinking it a bit and making it just a pommel, and use a longish cylinder between that and the blades guardy piece as a handle.

Hope I wasn't too harsh with my cnc, just trying to help you learn. You have a long way to go, but you are definitely decent for only modeling for 3 months (especially since you probably don't spend all day doing it lol). Good job on properly getting them ingame to test and play around with, not exactly the easiest thing to do with all the item.dat editing and proper naming etc...
Last edited by Deridor; Jul 9, 2015 at 05:51 PM.

Originally Posted by blun7y View Post
Looks to me you have some shadowing issues, On the thumb and parts of the knife.

Idk if what you are using is similar to what I can 3d model in, But you should use triangular plane's to fix that.

To explain - A mesh made of triangles, when bent or folded will fold along the vertex of the mesh.

But square planes can fold along the actual polygon face, causing the lines and shadowing effect, to fix you need to break the areas up that are shadowing in to triangular faces.

Good job though, I like the berret but it looks more like a wooly hat.

I have not looked at how to make these items yet but plan to soon, What modeling program do you have to use?

I have watched around 1 hour tutorial and these came out. I'll go for professional modelling when I fix my pc. ( Have to pick a university and move to city that I'm gonna study, also gotta find a job meanwhile)

-triangular plane's* this will be what I'm looking for. But I guess you mean I have to make some models with little pieces.

You're right about beret I'll be working on asymetrical models when I'm done with basics.

I'm using "blender 3d". Very easy to use if you understand main tools. And exports .obj file very fast. (you can check if a 3d item is on right place or not. if not you can fix it, export and check in 10 seconds)

Originally Posted by Deridor View Post
Hmm, the beret is probably the best thing here, but I'll g=tell you the few things I noticed:

Fez: looks nearly perfect, nicely proportioned to toris head and everything. It would look much better if you used smooth shading before exporting it (just click smooth instead of flat in blender, idk about other programs if you use them)

Beret: Looks awesome! Only things I can say is that its not very beret-like, it looks more like just a knit cap with a very large ball thing (idk what theyre called lol). beret's are more flattish, which is the entire style of the hat. It looks like you also managed to smooth shade the main part while leaving the round bit flat and angular... It seems very high poly too, which isn't at all an issue if you and others are just using it through your custom folder, but it'd be good practice to try and keep poly counts around 1k, especially if you have any ambitions of being in IF.

Hands: not perfect, but a very decent try. Certainly turned out better than my attempt ;)

Dagger: I really don't know what to say about this... From the pictures it seems just kind of bad. I can't say anything you can do to fix this other than try again. The blade is a bit misshapen seemiingly, the back edge of the blade being the main issue (causing the weapon to start skinny and end fat, not a typical weapon design). The handle is nonexistent, it's basically just a big edgy pommel. I'm guessing you were going for an ottoman style dagger since you mentioned your heritage and it seems similar, but while they do seem to have short handles (at least in proportion to the blade) they definitely have a handle section that runs straight away from the blade and has a proper place to grip the weapon. I would suggest taking the "handle" you have now and shrinking it a bit and making it just a pommel, and use a longish cylinder between that and the blades guardy piece as a handle.

Hope I wasn't too harsh with my cnc, just trying to help you learn. You have a long way to go, but you are definitely decent for only modeling for 3 months (especially since you probably don't spend all day doing it lol). Good job on properly getting them ingame to test and play around with, not exactly the easiest thing to do with all the item.dat editing and proper naming etc...

I couldnt fix shading errors on fez. So left flat lighting checked.

You're right. Its not like beret but I like it anyway. I'll work on asymetrical models.

Thanks. 3d hands are always miracles for this community Even they are not awesome.

Lets forgot everything you know about dagger :3 It was an improvisation. Had too much problem when exporting and fixing them, it took so much time.But still not bad.

I'm not modeling for 3 months 'o'. These 4 models made in first 3 days of my modelling career.

Cnc's are always welcome. Thanks for a good post.
Last edited by IBlackleon; Jul 9, 2015 at 08:09 PM.
Leon The Black
Originally Posted by Gunkman04 View Post
How did you get it so your fez had 2 different colors on it?

It looks like that in mudbox. If I can learn how to use textures with them I'll make colored 3d items. But for now I gave a break.

Originally Posted by Hypersaint View Post
I like the hands xD

Thanks
Leon The Black
I'm busy with university stuff these days. I was bored and didnt sleep this night :/ Made a model.
A cool Cap. I'd like to see this officially.

Cap

Last edited by IBlackleon; Jul 16, 2015 at 03:34 PM.
Leon The Black
OMG you are making good 3d objects ! i like your 3d obj a lot . keep it up.