Toribash
Original Post
study: people who type with periods are emotionless robots
just read this article from the washington post:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-is-terrible/

i wanted to hear what you guys, as (presumably) young and dedicated users of the internet, think of this

what does it mean for the future of the english language and communication? is it possible for periods to go "out of style"?

do you personally feel that sentences ended with a period are less genuine, both in the context of text messages and on forums?
how can you still fall for this shit maaaan really. Look back 10 years, look back twenny, look back 40, look back TWOOOO fukin hunnad years.

Same stories on repeat always, when books first started being mass produce all the old faggots started saying kids are going mental and doing to much reading and shit and the world is ending.
This article gave me cancer, how can basic punctuation and grammar make you a lesser human? Just goes to show what "studies" have come to.
oxisudofrenohypoglycemolicodin
Think logically. How does the use of a single character define who someone is? Anyone can slap a period at the end of a sentence. In the society I live in, it is simple punctuation.

Complete bogus
I deleted my sig cuz clan bai nao
Either I'm reading an entirely different article than all of you, or you all grossly misinterpreted it. I don't recall the article saying anything about how using proper punctuation makes you a lesser being or define who you are. It called it less sincere (and monstrous, but even then it still wasn't talking about the person). It's still a shit article based off of a pretty bad study (which I unfortunately couldn't find), but you're entirely guilty of misinterpreting it. Badly. You should genuinely be ashamed of yourselves.

But really, what the study is saying makes a little bit of sense.
Originally Posted by NiteNite
Think logically

When texting, we usually try to get our message across with as little effort as possible. A specific texting language is evidence of that. I'll just assume that many people, along with incorporating texting language to some degree, leave out periods at the end of their messages (most people I talk to over Skype do, unless they're very anal about grammar). In other words, when instant messaging, leaving out a period at the very end of messages (what I'll call leaving a message "open ended" just for easy reading) has become the norm. When you, instead of performing the norm, put a "full stop" at the end of the sentence, it feels less sincere, less inviting, or less friendly.

Yup.

Yeah

Sure!

Honestly, though, I'm disappointed in the study. They used a shitty sample (undergraduates... I bet from the same university, and I'd even guess the same department/classes/dorm/etc. etc.), a shity sample size, and I honestly can't think of a single decent way to organize a study like this without any bias whatsoever. From the articles I've read on it (again, couldn't find the study itself), I can only assume they didn't try to rationalize it the same way I did, and honestly they could have done a more in depth study on it. I.e. how using multiple sentences, and using different punctuation on the different sentences affects the perceived sincerity.
Well, From my last experiences from reading old stories and watching old films, I think english was other that of now.
It was like Ze=The and other like those, I though that english will be changed a few years later.
I don't agree with this, however there has become an accepted norm with online interactions where people who use correct grammar are the "grammar nazis" and therefore are arrogant and antisocial. It's incorrect, but that's how people perceive it after it being habitual for so long.
Originally Posted by FistofLife View Post
how can you still fall for this shit maaaan really. Look back 10 years, look back twenny, look back 40, look back TWOOOO fukin hunnad years.

Same stories on repeat always, when books first started being mass produce all the old faggots started saying kids are going mental and doing to much reading and shit and the world is ending.

What exactly is your argument? That this article is invalid because people were afraid of books when they were first made? Not exactly following your logic.

Originally Posted by desu View Post
This article gave me cancer, how can basic punctuation and grammar make you a lesser human? Just goes to show what "studies" have come to.

You seem to have missed the separation between the study itself and the article. The article is written in a pretty unprofessional way. This is halfway between an opinion piece and an official article. "probably because the people sending them are heartless" is simply not good writing for a newspaper.

The study itself was simply rating the perceived sincerity of text conversations based on many factors, which included punctuation. It just so happened that at nearly every juncture, simple texts that ended in periods sounded insincere compared to other variations of the same message. I agree with pouffywall that the study probably wasn't performed in the best way possible. A larger sample size and diversity of subjects would help flesh out and confirm results.

I do agree with its findings though. I am a very passive texter. I'm bad about getting back to you, and I exclusively use periods (and questions marks where applicable). I am looking back through my texts and am in June and have yet to see the last time I used an exclamation point. My SO "complains" that I never sound enthusiastic whenever chatting with her. However whenever I am joking around, I drop punctuation and intentionally misspell words for common texting lingo (i, ur, fuk, etc) to convey the point that I'm not serious.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
So, I'm heartless for being gramaticly correct? Hm... Kind of an interesting topic. I can see where it gets that. But it depends on what you're saying. Is it one word phrases? Like "Okay." "Sure." "Neat.". Then yeah, that looks pretty "heartless". I'd prefer the word passive or just serious, you could say.

When I text, I find myself using periods around people I don't really know, find intimidating, or think is better than me. Like, I managed to find Cowmeat on FaceBook (don't ask), and I found myself using periods more than not at all when I speak with him. Yeah, there was times I didn't use periods, but I did use them more often than usual. But when I speak with close friends, I use shit tier spelling and word flow.

So, back to this. I don't believe this study be accurate with how it tries to say we are heartless or something similar for doing so. Some people just prefer texting with good spelling and punctuation. Just an OCDC thing I believe.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
OP is misleading as fuck since the study doesn't have anything to do with typing and doesn't even imply that people who text with periods are emotionless robots.

The study simply says that texts ending with commas are perceived less sincere.

Originally Posted by HiPower View Post
what does it mean for the future of the english language and communication? is it possible for periods to go "out of style"?

Absolutely nothing

do you personally feel that sentences ended with a period are less genuine, both in the context of text messages and on forums?

Nope, but apparently a lot of people do
[duck] 01101000 01101001 01110000 01101111 01110100 01101001 01100010 01101111 01110010