ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Is Toribash Copyrighted
Hi,

Is the Tori / uke Ragdoll copyrighted?

I know the name Uke and Tori will be but is the actual figure from a stock folder or did hampa actually create it.

TLDR; Is it legal to make a game very similar to toribash.

(I know this is maybe the wrong place to ask but I don't think Hampa responds to PMs etc)
I doubt Uke and Tori are trademarked as they are actual terms referring to fighting. There's a possibility that Uke and Tori themselves are trademarked, however I do not know if they are.
I'm just gamin' man
uke and tori are from a sport that i frogot its name and they mean defender and attacker
Aadame:I'm very signaturable
It's just no one usues my shit .
The names Uke and Tori are terms in martial arts sparring.. now the actual game itself i'm pretty sure is copyrighted by nabi studios... and so are the character models... however even if you don't have a copyright you can sue someone for using your idea i.e creative commons if you have evidence that you created it before them examples include art, movie ideas, characters, and games... i'm sure the player model and game mechanics of toribash probably fall under the same guidelines especially if you plan on making your own version of toribash and on top of that monetizing on it.. hampa would probably be legally allowed to sue... now this is just my loose understanding of copyright laws that i learned when i used to make art.. might want to ask a lawyer to make sure

also back in 2007 the ragdolls looked heavily different as i recall seeing from screenshots .. the new versions are revamped versions therefore probably created by hampa and staff he hired like item forgers
Last edited by Gary; Oct 19, 2015 at 08:23 PM.
Originally Posted by AlphaN00b View Post
uke and tori are from a sport that i frogot its name and they mean defender and attacker

Okay, wow. Just no man.

The names themselves come from no specific martial art, they simply are japanese and refer to the person performing the throw and the one being thrown.

The actual models however are a different matter and are most likely not copyrighted

Thank you for the responses so far guys very interesting to learn this stuff.

I was under the impression that the models are not copyrighted or created by Hampa. Not to be disrespectful but I find it very hard to think that Hampa could code something like the models when he can't code a simple **Insert here**.

Anyone know any information about stock physic dolls?
Well, from reading your general posts in this thread, I can tell you have no clue what models are. Uke/Tori themselves are not models. You don't "code models". They are not made using 3d modeling software afaik, they are just a combination of ODE's joints and other various building blocks.

Toribash uses the open dynamics engine, outdated and suboptimal as it may be. There is very little in the way of artistic stuff involved in Toribash. Read Toribash's license stuff along with the other legalese.

I won't tell ya not to try, but you don't exactly seem capable of coding anything, much less making a fully-fledged turn-based physics fighting game much less **Insert here** which is extraordinarily difficult. Disrespect fully intended.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Well, from reading your general posts in this thread, I can tell you have no clue what models are. Uke/Tori themselves are not models. You don't "code models". They are not made using 3d modeling software afaik, they are just a combination of ODE's joints and other various building blocks.

Toribash uses the open dynamics engine, outdated and suboptimal as it may be. There is very little in the way of artistic stuff involved in Toribash. Read Toribash's license stuff along with the other legalese.

I won't tell ya not to try, but you don't exactly seem capable of coding anything, much less making a fully-fledged turn-based physics fighting game much less **Insert here** which is extraordinarily difficult. Disrespect fully intended.

Yeah because some people must have just got lucky and were born able to code **Sarcasm**.

Thank you anyway for the good answer.

Do you know where I can find the Toribash license stuff?
There is 1 toribash ripoff, some cheap game site has "toriflash" available. Toribash already has a flash game made by official developpers, minibash. So I would assume toriflash is made by someone who is no part of nabi studios (which is pretty much just hampa).

As toriflash seems legal, I think you could make something like it yourself.
Hi
Rapid Threads Lmod.
Got any questions? Feel free to ask!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]