Ranking
Original Post
"Superior Autobiographical Memory"
Check it out.

Unfathomably interesting piece on a recently discovered condition.

If we can isolate why this is happening, we might be able to uncover our own autobiographical entries tucked away in the temporal lobe.
Thanks.
How is this different to eidetic?
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
How is this different to eidetic?

Well, photographic memory is more applicated towards what you have seen or heard, not what you have done or what time you have done it. This to me just seems like long term memory.
Does it just have to do with one's sense of time or is the patient also insanely adept at everything else he does? Sorry if it's mentioned in the video, I didn't watch it.
Originally Posted by Droogy View Post
Does it just have to do with one's sense of time or is the patient also insanely adept at everything else he does? Sorry if it's mentioned in the video, I didn't watch it.

The patient was able to pick out the date and the events that happened on that date with ease. So yes, its not just her sense of time, but her complete memory. Hence, autobiographical memory.
Originally Posted by Compass View Post
Well, photographic memory is more applicated towards what you have seen or heard, not what you have done or what time you have done it. This to me just seems like long term memory.

Oh, so essentially it is just 'time awareness'.
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Oh, so essentially it is just 'time awareness'.

I think that'd be safe to say.
I have a signature. Check out my replay thread here so I can get better and stuff. Yay!
Happy Holidays!
It's more than just "time awareness".

They have the ability to recall, in detail, the events of virtually every day of their life in detail. What I'm wondering is what science can use them for. They are basically like living computers. I was also wondering if they had to commit anything to memory. Or if I could just approach one, say "Hey. Force equals mass times acceleration." Would they be able to remember that for the rest of their life? That could be applied to so many things. For example, they could be expert bomb defusers in a day. They would be able to recite the encyclopedia Britannica after a month of reading. It's just fantastic.
Thanks.
As far as I can tell its just eidetic with a time stamp. An eidetic may be able to remember everything, but may not be aware of what day it was at the time.

Being, for example, an expert bomb defuser, requires more than just knowledge. I would think that even if they memorized every manual ever written they would still have to think about how to apply the knowledge to the situation. An expert literally has neural pathways dedicated to the subject.
Originally Posted by jxc1013 View Post
It's more than just "time awareness".

They have the ability to recall, in detail, the events of virtually every day of their life in detail. What I'm wondering is what science can use them for. They are basically like living computers. I was also wondering if they had to commit anything to memory. Or if I could just approach one, say "Hey. Force equals mass times acceleration." Would they be able to remember that for the rest of their life? That could be applied to so many things. For example, they could be expert bomb defusers in a day. They would be able to recite the encyclopedia Britannica after a month of reading. It's just fantastic.

They don't remember THAT well. The only people who have ever displayed such possibilities are, unfortunately, Savants. Really, they are just people who are very capable of recalling time-based events and occurances. Using your encyclopedia Britannica example, they would distinctly remember the day and the general topics of what they read, but the actual knowledge needs to be retained like a normal person. Also, the events don't need to have happened to them, just be distinct enough to cause retention in the person. They're quite adept at remembering famous dates and events.

We actually talked about this in my AP Psychology class. Apparently my teacher worked with McGaugh for a brief period.

Also, I find it interesting to mention that only 1 out of the 6 known people with Superior Autobiographical Memory are in a relationship. I believe it's not just coincidence :P
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games