Ranking
Original Post
Gravity setting changes and other stuff
Gonna use this thread to rant about small things.

I've been annoyed a lot with how gravity works in the game, a misclicked wushu move can send you flying for almost a full game, and aikido is in a sad state since toris fly out of the ring too easily.
My suggestion is to have a gravity counter on each joint, that scales with every meter of height. A bodypart that's close to the ground will be lighter, and one that's way up in the sky will be heavier. Thus, lifting your opponent off the ground will be harder. So, two customisable values are needed, the amount of base damage and how much it scales with for each meter.
Of course, the values should, and probably will be customisable, so the gameplay doesn't change for people who like it as it is. No need to discuss that, thank you.

Alongside that, I'd like there to be a difference between gravity and weight.
Gravity is what pushes you down regardless of what your opponent does, and weight makes your opponent's bodyparts harder to lift. This could be used to move like a blue hedgehog on coffee without being able to manip your opponent. It can be very important in aikido mods, where manipulating your opponent is the most important aspect of the game, or in wushu, if you want to play without getting thrown miles away from your opponent.
Last edited by Lazors; May 21, 2014 at 07:18 PM.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
changes like this will change EVERYTHING.
spar / parkour would work diffrently or not at all.
and i see no problem with wushu other than rubbing points if you keep flying away its because you do moves that make you fly , there is an easy fix - stop doing it.
for aikido i cant say much but i know that lifts are extremly easy to counter.
[06:53]Sissykick: my friend was the hottest drag queen in the group.
Originally Posted by Obscu View Post

I don't see why. Parkour maps would keep the standard gravity unless specified. I'm assuming there's a way to play old mods without upgrading the mods or downgrading the client. Like, if the mod is missing the new gravity info, it would use the old settings.

Originally Posted by Obscu
and i see no problem with wushu other than rubbing points if you keep flying away its because you do moves that make you fly , there is an easy fix - stop doing it.
for aikido i cant say much but i know that lifts are extremly easy to counter.

Everything can be countered, that's not the question here. Question is, can we change the gameplay in a way that's interesting enough to add to the game.
Just because "it's fine as it is" doesn't mean it can't be improved.
Brendan (he who passeth judgement on the frequent changing of signatures): I don't do hentai anymore
For the gravity, I agree that you can pretty much lose easily if you are thrown at a certain rate out of the ring, but I dissagree that it is a bad thing. It makes the game fun and is the way it has always been. I tried to adjust some settings here and there, but it just isn't the same. The physics are not going to change either. Such as the weight in proportion to height. It would ruin most of the game play. Maybe a few extra settings could take place, but I doubt it would work nicely.
Chickster: I literally don't know why I did it.
Why not just make seperate mod variants which could implement this system if you want it that badly, instead of changing the gravity / physics engine of the ENTIRE game?? I am sure the modding section of our community would be very happy to help.
I'm a game developer for other games.
Ping me if you have a query or general question unrelated to this game.
Originally Posted by OP
Of course, the values should, and probably will be customisable, so the gameplay doesn't change for people who like it as it is. No need to discuss that, thank you.

I thought i was clear enough about this. Yes, it is a mod setting, and not part of the whole game.

Originally Posted by -Link View Post
For the gravity, I agree that you can pretty much lose easily if you are thrown at a certain rate out of the ring, but I dissagree that it is a bad thing. It makes the game fun and is the way it has always been. I tried to adjust some settings here and there, but it just isn't the same. The physics are not going to change either. Such as the weight in proportion to height. It would ruin most of the game play. Maybe a few extra settings could take place, but I doubt it would work nicely.

"It's fine as it is" arguments. I don't think that's an excuse not to try new things. I don't necessarily want to change the gameplay, I just want to give more options to it.
And by the way, you said you "changed some settings here and there". Which settings did you change and how did it influence the gameplay? If you've tried anything that's close to my idea I'm very interested, otherwise I don't see how it's relevant.
it will bug the toribash records for throwing things in the air, if say the old toribash replays say that it simply shot up to the sky but then faded to a drop, if this idea is accepted, the replay will be bugged because "everything closer to the sky will get heavier"

parkour mods are seriously broken, for once that they have elevated platforms, you try walking on a platform, or jumping to from ledge to ledge with that kind of gravity.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Originally Posted by snoresville View Post
it will bug the toribash records for throwing things in the air, if say the old toribash replays say that it simply shot up to the sky but then faded to a drop, if this idea is accepted, the replay will be bugged because "everything closer to the sky will get heavier"

parkour mods are seriously broken, for once that they have elevated platforms, you try walking on a platform, or jumping to from ledge to ledge with that kind of gravity.

Yeah that would suck badly....
Get down with the sickness. - Disturbed.
Originally Posted by snoresville View Post

Originally Posted by Obscu View Post

I don't see why. Parkour maps would keep the standard gravity unless specified. I'm assuming there's a way to play old mods without upgrading the mods or downgrading the client. Like, if the mod is missing the new gravity info, it would use the old settings.

The new gravity doesn't have to be a standard.
Old mods and replays will be unaffected by this, since the mod will use standard settings unless anything else is specified.

Look at it. LOOK AT IT.
If anything, you'd have to be lighter as you move further away from the ground. The ragdoll you control is quite strong relative to it's own weight, that's why player skill is required to keep it from flying away. Long story short, the fault lies with the player.

Also, what?
Gravity = F
Mass = m
Weight = F*m

Weight is related to gravity. What you meant was mass, which is already in the game (try lifting your left hand, then try lifting your right hand while grabbing uke).
Last edited by ynvaser; May 22, 2014 at 02:32 PM.