Ranking
Haha ok the bashing wasn't as extreme as I expected it to be. Maybe you were taking it easy on me? :P

Fun as in not playing for the win? Fun as in trying new things just to experiment? Fun as in not being so attached to the game that a loss creates so much frustration to rage quit?

If you answered yes to all the questions above, you have got my idea of "fun."

It seems as if you are taking this "Playing to Win" thing a little too seriously...
Sinistah (Cool name by the way) do you know what its for?

Tournaments

Yes Sinistah, that whole guide on playing to win is for tournaments. There are tournaments in Toribash yes, but do you have to make every single match as if you were playing in the finals of a tournament?

Idk about this post and if it makes sense or not.. It seems as if my thoughts never get laid out and explained as deeply as I want it to be but oh well. Theres no changing your views now is there? ;)

And about the gun and the knife situation, it all applies to the situation where you are surprised by the gun/shovel and did not see it coming. The section about the victim I was talking about earlier.

P.S. Dont be jealous of mah flips jus cuz u cant do them
I once countered a shovel pretty nice but I didn't save the replay.

I hate shoveling, shovels, and shovelers more than anything else.
That's why I break shovelers' wrists and shovel them.
It's a pretty NooB game. But shoveling is NooBish.
And aren't brown belts NooBs?
Attached Files
antishovelshovel.rpl (65.3 KB, 30 views)
Last edited by Kirakage; Feb 9, 2010 at 08:04 AM.
I think the crucial thing is that Toribash is a game of skill and strategy. If you are more skilled than your opponent, then you should still win agains the shovel.

Another thing that bugs me is how many people who are against shoveling shovel back. It completely undermines their own argument, that Toribash should be played for fun, that Toribash is no fun when shovels are used, that shoveling requires no skill. Once you fight back (and don't say "But he started it!"), you aren't trying to have fun and improve yourselves anymore, you're trying to win. You are trying to win after suffering a loss.

And thats the very fact: People are playing to win, whether in tournaments or otherwise. If not, we would have dance marathons in Twinswords all the time, and synchronized hugging in Akido. If you aren't playing to win, then you shouldn't mind losing to shovelers so much to the point that you ragequit. And if you're more skilled than NooBish shovellers, then you should be able to defeat them consistantly.

DaNoob, you knife and gun fight analogy is logically fallacious. Shoveling is used often in Akido, and other mods as well, and should be expected. It's more like you expected to be slashed and instead got stabbed. A gun would be more like your opponent randomly got swords, or the ability to make you spontaniously explode. I think it's ironic you're arguing againt a "noob tactic", considering your username.
Last edited by Acavado; Feb 9, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Seriously guys (Kirakage and Acavado)? I mean you can write @DaNooB23 or quote me in the beginning of your post or something if you are directly talking to me, but to spell out the word noob just how it is in my name (NooB) is a bit childish if ya ask me.. Just sayin :P (That is if those posts were referring to me in the first place)

Also Acavado about the shoveling back.. The easiest and most effective way to counter a shovel (with minimum risk) is to shovel back.

I HATE shovels. But that doesnt mean I dont do them myself (I say when I will do a shovel before the match even starts, usually against friends), especially against a person who I know is gonna shovel me back.

EDIT: Ya know what? Disregard my first paragraph completely.. lets see if we can start a trend ;)

EDIT #2: In response to Acavodo again.. The knife and the gun situation DOES apply in situations where the non-shoveler is NOT expecting a shovel from the shoveler. After the first turn your telling me that the person who is not shoveling is NOT going to be at an extreme disadvantage if the shovelers arms are lowered and pecs contracted

Oh and try harder with the insults.. that last one didn't phase me at all.
Last edited by DaNooB23; Feb 9, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Originally Posted by DaNooB23 View Post
Seriously guys (Kirakage and Acavado)? I mean you can write @DaNooB23 or quote me in the beginning of your post or something if you are directly talking to me, but to spell out the word noob just how it is in my name (NooB) is a bit childish if ya ask me.. Just sayin :P (That is if those posts were referring to me in the first place)

Also Acavado about the shoveling back.. The easiest and most effective way to counter a shovel (with minimum risk) is to shovel back.

I HATE shovels. But that doesnt mean I dont do them myself (I say when I will do a shovel before the match even starts, usually against friends), especially against a person who I know is gonna shovel me back.

EDIT: Ya know what? Disregard my first paragraph completely.. lets see if we can start a trend ;)

I was quoting Kirakage.

... I was wondering why he was doing that.

EDIT #2: In response to Acavodo again.. The knife and the gun situation DOES apply in situations where the non-shoveler is NOT expecting a shovel from the shoveler. After the first turn your telling me that the person who is not shoveling is NOT going to be at an extreme disadvantage if the shovelers arms are lowered and pecs contracted

Oh and try harder with the insults.. that last one didn't phase me at all.

Phase? It was more part of the argument, not the insult. I never argue with insults that aren't part of the argument themselves.

I did not tell you that the person who is not shoveling is not going to be at an extreme disadvatage if the shovelers arms are lowered and pecs contracted.

Guns give an unfair advantage and are illegal in a knife fight; shoveling does not give you an unfair advantage or is illegal in Akido. Or, hacked down to crumb sized pieces, I could state it as thus: You are not allowed to bring a gun to a knife fight, but you are allowed to shovel in Akido. Now, hacking Toribash and somehow giving yourself instant-touch disembodiment powers would be bringing a gun to a knife fight; likewise, doing sumersaults in Akido is like bringing a hula hoop to a boxing match.

If that's not enough of a bashing, I'll bring out my yo mama jokes. :P
Last edited by SmileyJones; Feb 9, 2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Double post
Originally Posted by Acavado View Post
I think the crucial thing is that Toribash is a game of skill and strategy. If you are more skilled than your opponent, then you should still win agains the shovel.

Another thing that bugs me is how many people who are against shoveling shovel back. It completely undermines their own argument, that Toribash should be played for fun, that Toribash is no fun when shovels are used, that shoveling requires no skill. Once you fight back (and don't say "But he started it!"), you aren't trying to have fun and improve yourselves anymore, you're trying to win. You are trying to win after suffering a loss.

The point is that if shovelers lose they usually rage quit.
Originally Posted by Kirakage View Post
The point is that if shovelers lose they usually rage quit.

Ah, but we don't want to stereotype all shovelers as easily frustated rage-quitters. A shoveler losing isn't a completely rare thing, and they aren't usually that easily frustrated. It's usually pretty epic to watch losing shovels that end up with the shoveller getting thrown so far out the ring, or twisted to the ground, (or both,) even when it's yourself losing. I've never seen any shovelers ragequit myself, though, so maybe I just haven't played long enough. I don't think the shovelers personality matters much though.

I wasn't directing my comments towards you, specifically, Kirakage; sorry. Your post was conveniently located before mine.
Last edited by Acavado; Feb 9, 2010 at 02:59 PM.
Fun as in not playing for the win? Fun as in trying new things just to experiment? Fun as in not being so attached to the game that a loss creates so much frustration to rage quit?

Why are you playing multiplayer if you don't find playing for the win fun? If you want to flail around like a moron, do it in free play.

Trying new things is what this thread is about, isn't it?

What does crying about losing have to do with anything?
On 18, 2008 of the year August, we shall have tea. The following day we eat anyone wearing purple clothes. Then we get into tanks, drive a mile away from each other, and start firing random shells into the air. First one to hit the other tank gets a 5 second head start in the 1 legged race.

In the one legged race, you will be hogtied and forced to compete in the Boston marathon using your penis only. We shall also set down bear traps, landmines, barbed wire, and floating thumbs. Your penis will be painted to resemble an illusion that looks like a 3-D steak; as a result, several Dobermen and Rottweilers we will be taking for a walk that morning which have been starved the previous week may attack.
man
I doubt you can beat my shovel that guess is the better shovel
please someone try it, just for techinique learn
I saw many noobs using this shovel
its so useful
i dont know how to put into a bot so I leave for you
Attached Files
mastershovel.rpl (13.9 KB, 24 views)
Originally Posted by BlakNWyte View Post
You want to keep shoveling? Great. But realize you will never cease to be resented and rejected by nearly everyone, deter new members away from this game, and be a fly on the wall to people who want to actually learn and improve their skills.

have fun.

See the bottom of this post.
Haha ok the bashing wasn't as extreme as I expected it to be. Maybe you were taking it easy on me? :P

No man, I'm just a logical person and don't believe that caps lock and mispelled words solve problems.

If you answered yes to all the questions above, you have got my idea of "fun."

Sounds like you should be playing single player.
It seems as if you are taking this "Playing to Win" thing a little too seriously...

The goal of the game is to win. If you're trying anything else, you shouldn't be playing online.
Sinistah (Cool name by the way) do you know what its for?

Tournaments

Yes Sinistah, that whole guide on playing to win is for tournaments. There are tournaments in Toribash yes, but do you have to make every single match as if you were playing in the finals of a tournament?

See bottom of this post.
P.S. Dont be jealous of mah flips jus cuz u cant do them

I'm sure I can do far more than simple flips. Just because I shovel a lot doesn't mean that I do it all the time. In fact, just last night, I was playing in a room full of new players (white-orange belts) and didn't do a single shovel. Why? Because I wanted to experiment. Without experimentation, the game will not advance. However, when I'm in a room full of brown belts and above, I'll shovel all the time. It's all based on skill level, and please don't assume I'm just some hardass who shovels all day long just to make people angry. It's not my purpose, and I'm slightly insulted that you view me that way.
People are playing to win, whether in tournaments or otherwise. If not, we would have dance marathons in Twinswords all the time, and synchronized hugging in Akido. If you aren't playing to win, then you shouldn't mind losing to shovelers so much to the point that you ragequit. And if you're more skilled than NooBish shovellers, then you should be able to defeat them consistantly.

This is a perfect quote.

This is a half truth. I will have to cover this in my guide.
Ah, but we don't want to stereotype all shovelers as easily frustated rage-quitters. A shoveler losing isn't a completely rare thing, and they aren't usually that easily frustrated. It's usually pretty epic to watch losing shovels that end up with the shoveller getting thrown so far out the ring, or twisted to the ground, (or both,) even when it's yourself losing. I've never seen any shovelers ragequit myself, though, so maybe I just haven't played long enough. I don't think the shovelers personality matters much though.

More than half of all shovelers I see leave within the first 5 minutes when they begin to lose. I can tell you that I myself am guilty of such actions, both now and before (when I wasn't as clever with my shoveling).
Originally Posted by grumpyman2 View Post
Why are you playing multiplayer if you don't find playing for the win fun? If you want to flail around like a moron, do it in free play.

Another fantastic quote for truth. Beyond that, though, I'd say playing with friends is the alternative.

---As for the "See bottom of this post." responses:---

Taken from Playing To Win (Part 2):
Originally Posted by Playing To Win
But what about a case where you have ready access to a variety of opponents? I'll present the case of legendary Street Fighter player Thomas Osaki (darn, back to that game again). I did not actually play with Thomas during his heyday, but I have since met him and I hope he forgives any misrepresentation of his conduct during his glory years.

Thomas Osaki dominated the game of Street Fighter in Northern California. His reputation for "playing to win" was quite extreme. They say he never really engaged in "casual play," but rather always played his hardest, as if every game had something on the line or was a serious tournament. They say he played this way regardless of his opponent, even if his opponent was a 9 year-old girl with no skill at the game. He would "stutter step, throw" her like all the rest (a particularly "cheap" tactic). Did he have no compassion at all? Was he just a jerk? I like to think of Thomas (or his legend, in case it happens not to be true) not as mean player, but as an inspiring player. He set a bar of excellence. In his path of self-improvement, he was not willing to compromise, to embrace mediocrity, or to give less than his all at any time. His peers had the extraordinary opportunity to experience brilliant play whenever he was near, not just at rare moments in a tournament.

And what of the 9 year-old girl? Perhaps she had no business playing in the first place. From Thomas's view, getting her off the machine allowed him to face the opponents he "should" be facing anyway.