ES Recruitment Drive
Cancer is basically u're own cells gone wild,
basically they lose the main regulatory principles of cell division, many factors can cause this, one of the factors are certain types of viruses.
Cancer is very hard to kill sine u need to kill u're own cells. Needless to say some innocent cells will die. Its hard even to halt its development, ye u can try to inhibit cell division, but many types of cells in the body divide fast - blood producing cells for instance.
Killing cells by inhibiting major metabolic pathways existent in all the cells in an organism is bad.
The only way I imagine we could cure cancer in the future is by nano particles targeted to the cancer cells. Some therapies are developed even now with monoclonal antibodies + enzymes that target to certain antigens on cancer cells, most promising is ADEPT method, but there is still a long way to go. And the main obstacle is cost of such treatment (every patient needs to get a treatment suitable for him).
And ye u can cure some cancers in the early stages (sometimes even in the late stages) if u somehow change how u're immune systems sees the cancer cells.
Last edited by missuse; May 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM.
wishful eyes deceive me
Yes, I'm sure doctors make us sick. Think about it. They kill their own source of income if they heal people.

Seriously guys, before you start or join a discussion do some research. And don't believe everything on the net. I love the people here throwing around medical terms even though they don't know shit what they're talking about. Somehow sad that almost everyone (with some exceptions) don't do that.

To the topic:
Yes, cancer is cureable, no not every kind of cancer and yes, there is no cure without side-effects or risk.
Also I don't see why you think cancer wouldn't be cured. About 50% of all people affected with cancer are cured (cured here means they are living for 5 years without reaffection; not exact but close to the real rate), mostly by radiation.
Signature temporarily out of order.
Originally Posted by missuse View Post
Cancer is basically u're own cells gone wild,
basically they lose the main regulatory principles of cell division, many factors can cause this, one of the factors are certain types of viruses.
Cancer is very hard to kill sine u need to kill u're own cells. Needless to say some innocent cells will die. Its hard even to halt its development, ye u can try to inhibit cell division, but many types of cells in the body divide fast - blood producing cells for instance.
Killing cells by inhibiting major metabolic pathways existent in all the cells in an organism is bad.
The only way I imagine we could cure cancer in the future is by nano particles targeted to the cancer cells. Some therapies are developed even now with monoclonal enzymes that target to certain antigens on cancer cells, most promising is ADEPT method, but there is still a long way to go. And the main obstacle is cost of such treatment (every patient needs to get a treatment suitable for him).
And ye u can cure some cancers in the early stages (sometimes even in the late stages) if u somehow change how u're immune systems sees the cancer cells.

You pretty much sum it all up right there. It is a mutation nuff said.

We could easily just get rid of the cells which are mutated, but that would cause permanant damage and that's why doctors can cure it at early stages.
The best way to cure cancer would simply be what Missuse said which is use enzymes.

Another good way if I am correct is to get a vaccine which targets multiple forms of cancer, but then again cancer isn't a pathogen so we would need better medical equipment to "vaccinate" it.

Tl;dr: Cancer isn't cured, and we need better equipment to cure it, and Missuse is correct.
Sold my dog to join RRO
Nah, we can't cure cancer and therefor we aren't.

I liked this comment I found on the page:
This article has some good info but is just poor journalism.

Pharmaceutical companies are not investing in it because it is a generic drug that is already being produced. If water cured cancer, you wouldn't ask drug company to invest in water. That doesn't make them evil. That won't stop doctors and hospitals from using the drug.

Also... the drug is still in trials... it takes three months to get the drug up to blood levels where it will stop the growth of cancer, and even then it's not a magic bullet cure. It stops the growth of tumors, but it doesn't target and kill them. This drug will need to be used in combination with other treatments. Some side effects, such as nerve malfunction, have been found, and the drug is still being tested for other side effects.

Well to Downpour on everyone who thinks we have ONE cure for cancer i will simplify it.
There are alot of types of cancer:
Liver, Heart, Brain, Breast, Bone, Lung, Kidney, Penial, skin, splean, Throat, And many others.
If you think about 1 medicine being strong enough to secure the health of every organ In the human body, Your crazy. Every organ acts in a different way For example lung cancer Is nearly unsurvivable. My Grandfather died of lung/ Penial cancer On November 4th 2010
If there was a slight posibility that 1 vacine could cure cancer.
Also We all have cancer cells in us its just that they can not Destroy us, For example the cancer cells Are Both powered/destroyed by radiation, Either concentrated or from the sun
If anything, the cure for cancer is cutting the god damn tumor out before it's too big.