people playing: 140, servers online: 42, games played: 138,824,164 Top Player: N3WB

Toribash Community » Help » Beginner Sanctuary
Register FAQ General Rules Community
Closed Thread
Old Jan 3, 2018   #1
Blue Belt

the hell do i do against a shovel/suplex?
these always get me no matter what
Old Jan 3, 2018   #2
10th Dan Black Belt
Clan: Red

A general rule of thumb is to when you can't beat something, try use it on players more experienced than you and see what they do to counter it.

The short answer though is try to get grips on shoulders and use your wrists, elbows, shoulders and pecs to lower yourself back onto the ground.
If they manage to get you off the ground I'd recommend trying to get enough momentum by throwing yourself up with your shoulders and hips to the point where you can lift them off the ground through momentum, then from there try to either spin yourself back onto the ground OR lift them with enough speed to pull them out of the ring.
Old Jan 3, 2018   #3
Master Belt
Clan: Adventure

Generally, if you both hold by hands, try to extend pecs, raise shoulders, contract wrists and sometimes contract elbows too. This combination is usually very useful against a basic lift or shovel.

When it comes to advanced lifts, there is no distinct counter. It is very situational and highly depends on grab situation and momentum.

You can practice counters to these moves by opening aikido in singleplayer and lifting yourself with uke, then trying to make a counter move with tori and so on.
Old Jan 3, 2018   #4
2nd Dan Black Belt
Clan: Adventure

against a lift, extend yourself out so you gain momentum (raise arms, extend wrists, elbows and abs, contract pecs). after that you'll be able to do as smaguris said to try and land on the floor.

watch this match
Old Jan 3, 2018   #5
Blue Belt

thanks to all of you!!!
Old Jan 25, 2018   #6
1st dan white Belt
Clan: Rain

if you use an asymetrical opener and get a bicep grab you can guide the arms past your body. pass it to the correct side and you end up with both their arms locked down. apart from that use the same ideas as anti lift. sit low, let your legs hang so one is lower than the other. your are longer on the diagonal.
the last replay shows how you can lock up both arms to prevent posting. if this helps. i have answers for antisuplexes.
Attached Files
File Type: rpl akido no shovelwrdsfxcvxcz.rpl (38.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: rpl akido no shovelwrsdfsfx.rpl (51.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: rpl akido no shovelwrsdfxvzx.rpl (49.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: rpl akido no shovwelrsdf.rpl (46.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: rpl akido no showdgbdgvcb.rpl (49.3 KB, 3 views)
Old Jan 25, 2018   #7
10th Dan Black Belt

Thread's 3 weeks old. Since weedeeter probably doesn't look at this anymore I'll close it.

@Weedeeter if you'd like this reopened; feel free to pm me or to do it yourself.
Help Squad-member
& Rapid Threads Lmod.
Got any questions? Feel free to ask!

Closed Thread