Toribash
Well a case with good airflow will blow all the heat away.

Even with just a gts 250 and a 2.5 ghz quad core, my room is noticeably hotter than both my parents and the living room. I have to keep the windows open once in a while so it doesn't get unbearable. Sometimes I've had to leave the pc on all night for donwloading from steam or watching hulu, not intensive tasks but the head still slowly builds up.

But gtx 480 being around 95 C under full load is just scary. Imagine overclocking it. You could cook you meals with that thing XD

I really hope the future cards are more efficient and cooler. Mostly cooler for me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
95 degreees C is 203 F, I'm amazed how these things don't overheat. I wonder if you can get liquid cooling for graphics cards...?
Yes, you can get liquid cooling for GPUs. Buy unless you are going to overclock them a fair bit, it usually isn't worth it.
http://www.evga.com/PRODUCTS/IMAGES/...89-AR_LG_1.jpg

gahahahaha XD that's how bad the need for water cooling is. It's not even launched yet.

Yeah under load it uses 400 watts vs 270 for hd5870. Runs at 95 degrees C vs hd5870 at 70's. And it's more expensive to boot. Damn nvidia, get your game together so I can buy another physx card without having to invest in expensive cooling solutions and a higher energy bill.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Loving the 'FTW' on the box XD Makes me want to buy one

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
I've seen a lot of ignorance on this thread. People shouldn't say stuff they know nothing about. How the hell can a GTX 275 support directX 11 technologies? Thats ignorance... Fan boys get out of the thread or at least say something accurate.

Plus how can someone say that ATI has bad drivers just because they "had a bad experience 10 years ago", what the fuck, do you guys even know how much the market and technology has changed over the years? How can you compare modern times with 10 years ago? lol... this should'nt even be brought up to a thread and used as an excuse!... Specially because your "prodigious" Nvidia drivers had fucked up problems recently.

Just to add more info on how the new Nvidia cards are a technological flop... check this out:

XFX Abandons GeForce GTX 400 Series
XFX is getting cozier with AMD by the day, which is an eyesore for NVIDIA. Amidst the launch of GeForce GTX 400 series, XFX did what could have been unimaginable a few months ago: abandon NVIDIA's high-end GPU launch. That's right, XFX has decided against making and selling GeForce GTX 480 and GeForce GTX 470 graphics cards, saying that it favours high-end GPUs from AMD, instead. This comes even as XFX seemed to have been ready with its own product art. Apart from making new non-reference design SKUs for pretty-much every Radeon HD 5000 series GPU, the company is working on even more premium graphics cards targeted at NVIDIA's high-end GPUs.

The rift between XFX and NVIDIA became quite apparent when XFX outright bashed NVIDIA's high-end lineup in a recent press communication about a new high-end Radeon-based graphics card it's designing. "XFX have always developed the most powerful, versatile Gaming weapons in the world - and have just stepped up to the gaming plate and launched something spectacular that may well literally blow the current NVIDIA offerings clean away," adding "GTX480 and GTX470 are upon us, but perhaps the time has come to Ferm up who really has the big Guns." The move may come to the disappointment of some potential buyers of GTX 400 series, as XFX's popular Double Lifetime Warranty scheme would be missed. XFX however, maintains that it may choose to work on lower-end Fermi-derivatives.

http://www.techpowerup.com/118821/XF...00_Series.html

Preview on Nvidia's GeForce GTX 480 and 470 graphics processors:

Conclusions
These two new GeForces draw more power, generate more heat and noise, and have higher price tags than the closest competing Radeons, but they're not substantially faster at running current games. For many, that will be the brutal bottom line on the GeForce GTX 470 and 480. Given the complexity and the rich feature sets of modern graphics processors, that hardly seems fair, but the GF100 is facing formidable competition that made it to market first and is clearly more efficient in pretty much every way that matters. The GF100's major contribution to real-time graphics, beyond the DirectX 11 features that its competitor also possesses, is an increased geometry processing facility that has little value for today's games and questionable value for tomorrow's. As a graphics geek, it's not hard to admire this aspect of the GF100, but I think it will be difficult for gamers to appreciate for quite some time—perhaps throughout the useful life of these graphics cards.

Then again, given the supply problems and inflated prices that we've seen in the graphics card market over the past six months, we're just glad to see Nvidia back at the table. Even if the value propositions on the GeForce GTX 470 and 480 aren't spectacular, they're a darn sight better than zero competition for AMD.

Also, I suspect some folks will still find these graphics cards attractive for a host of pretty decent reasons. If consumer-level GPU computing takes off, the GF100 may be the GPU to have. We haven't formally tested its compute prowess against the latest Radeons, but the GTX 480's exceptional performance in 3DMark's cloth and particle simulations is a postive indicator. Nvidia is also constantly pushing on initiatives that can give its GPUs an exclusive advantage over any competitor, whether it be games with advanced PhysX effects or 3D Vision—or just plain old driver solidity and instant compatibility with the newest games, an area where I still think Nvidia has an edge on AMD.

Then again, AMD seems to be making inroads with game developers, which is what happens when you're first to market with a whole family of DX11 GPUs.

For what it's worth, the GF100 may not be a disappointment in all markets. With its geometry processing throughput, it should make a fantastic Quadro workstation graphics card. GF100-based Tesla cards could still succeed in the realm of dedicated GPU computing, too. The Fermi architecture really is ahead of any of its competitors there for a number of reasons that can't be ignored, and the question now is whether Nvidia can build a considerable business around it. The firm seemed to be expecting huge progress in this regard when it revealed the first details of this architecture to us.

We're curious to see how good a graphics chip this generation of Nvidia's technology could make when it's stripped of all the extra fat needed to serve other markets: the extensive double-precision support, ECC, fairly large caches, and perhaps two or three of its raster units. You don't need any of those things to play games—or even to transcode video on a GPU. A leaner, meaner mid-range variant of the Fermi architecture might make a much more attractive graphics card, especially if Nvidia can get some of the apparent chip-level issues worked out and reach some higher clock speeds.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18682/1
Last edited by GenkiSudo; Mar 31, 2010 at 02:36 PM.
"There is enough on earth for everybody's need, but not for everyone's greed." - Mohandas Gandhi
If we're all honest then we'll admit that 99% of the cards made in the past couple of years are relatively pointless. There's nothing you can't run at a good rate on a 8800GTX level card (ATI included *spits*) unless you have a stupidly big monitor running a resolution that's taking the piss. WE HAVE FSAA PEOPLE, high res was killed by that, there's no real reason to go as high as new cards do (talking playable speed).

I've not bought a new GFX card for years, and I see no real reason to do it. I could pick up a 9800GTX for Ѓ140 in town & it'll run anything at a good speed.

And no, we don't need higher DX versions because nothing requires it. It's just more pointless effects to detract from the gameplay, and professional apps use GL so GG DX10/11 - you suck. ^_^

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by jaredvcxz View Post
FYI: 300 watts isn't much. My 8400GS takes up that much.

No it doesn't.

With that in mind, ATI drivers are fine for me, my 4850 has and still does perform very well. Not to mention that the GTX480 performs like a 5870 for the cost of a 5890. It's not a winner, which is unfortunate, because that means that ATI prices are not dropping. I can only hope that Nvidia's mid-range lineup doesn't suck this hard.