Ranking
since, for many of you, toribash duties take up a fair amount of your time, would you ever include your experience here on a job/school application

the obvious answer is probably no because it's not a very good testament to maturity or whatever. i'm actually wondering if you personally believe your experience here is comparable to a "real" volunteer job
Your pal,
crith
Originally Posted by crith View Post
since, for many of you, toribash duties take up a fair amount of your time, would you ever include your experience here on a job/school application

the obvious answer is probably no because it's not a very good testament to maturity or whatever. i'm actually wondering if you personally believe your experience here is comparable to a "real" volunteer job

I mean, why the hell not? For example, if a site dev like Link was applying for a job somewhere, he would want to put on his application that he was a site developer for a website; it looks good. As for other positions, I'm not so sure. I might include it just for the hell of it, but I'm not sure it would help me get anywhere.

Put it in my job, uni and group project applications, got in on all of them with questions on TB being a main talking point. Any experience is worth putting down if you make it worth the time and you can open some serious doors that way.
collect snots from the nose
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
Put it in my job, uni and group project applications, got in on all of them with questions on TB being a main talking point. Any experience is worth putting down if you make it worth the time and you can open some serious doors that way.

Yeah same. When I applied to uni I was able to talk about leading a group of ~20 volunteers with a common interest. And there's a lot less stigma attached to games nowadays.
It shows that you can take a hobby and you're naturally inclined to get involved and help. It's more about what it implies about you as oppose to the fact you can say 'yeah I'm an admin on toribash'
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.
huh. i think i would feel a bit embarrassed if i listed toribash moderating experience on an application and then it came up during the interview (not that i don't think toribash is the bee's knees) but if it actually helped you out, that's really great - more power to you
Your pal,
crith
huh. i think i would feel a bit embarrassed if i listed toribash moderating experience on an application and then it came up during the interview (not that i don't think toribash is the bee's knees) but if it actually helped you out, that's really great - more power to you

It's kind of a mixed barrel. I've spoken to my dad about it, he's kind of a posh London business man and doesn't like that I'm so involved with a gaming community and has said he would automatically deny an applicant who mentioned something like administrating a forum.
Yet when I went for my interview for university the guy who interviewed me was really enthusiastic about it.
When I apply for my part 1 graduate jobs I'll mention it and use vague terms so that it can be used as a talking point and I'll be able to elaborate or ignore it in the interview once I've gauged the person. Just gotta be smart with it I guess, be able to read people n shit.
She/They

Yeah, I only don't like erthtkv2 because of the mod's name. Make it "tkv2," and the mod will instantly become more popular. This is a valid reason as the name of the mod is still an important feature that no one seems to have yet discussed.

Definitely toribash isn't something you would list in your CV but this is funny because few weeks ago I went for an interview for a project in university and in one of the questions that the recruiter asked me I answered all my in real life stuff plus the remarkable things I once did in Toribash, without specifying that those were in the internet (hosting events, leading a group into some objectives, organizing schedules, discussing about aproving or not new organizations, etc). In the end of the interview he asked me where I did those things and he laughed when I said, with a smile, that it was in an online game. I was accepted and now I have a job in real life. :v

As Erth said: "be able to read people".
Last edited by iver; Feb 18, 2016 at 12:57 AM.

It's all down to wording when it comes to this stuff.

"Forum Moderator for Videogame" would look pretty sad if you put it on a CV, "Voluntary Community Manager" or similar has a much better ring to it and doesn't reek of internet saddo. So long as you don't specifically state it's for an internet forum or game you're golden. Do them same if you're going to list the things your job entailed, avoid wording things in a way that carries negative connotations and instead make it look more general.

If they ask specifically where it was at, then you've got their attention enough for it to no longer matter.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Can I see a complete heirarchy? As in what position controls what and who is above who. If there is no official job title; what title would you deem apropriate?
Client developmental hierarchy:
hampa - dranix(?)

Web developmental hierarchy:
hampa - Eleeleth - Other devs

General moderation/forum hierarchy:
Ninjas - Admins - Smods

Other areas (all sitting more or less parallel to smods in terms of authority. Smods obviously above since they have global forum and game reach for mdoeration):
Msquad:
Solax - Msquads

Gms:
Erth - Gms (now including item forgers too)

Clan mods:
Faint - Clan mods (and council)