ES Recruitment Drive
Just dropping by to say that my friend loves the RE2's. She's never used double flange tips before and I dunno if she can change the filters when the time comes (I wasn't too sure myself).

I made her a simple case out of an altoid can and some bubble wrap from the package ^_^

The E5 amp is pretty cool I guess. I don't notice a huge difference, but none of my headphones are high resistance. The bass boost switch is interesting when I want a different sound, but I still prefer flat.

Not bad for 30'ish bucks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
If you turned up about two months ago I could have sold you something that would have been perfect for about 30% new price (I ended up giving it away to one of my close friends).
FWIW it was a DT770pro 80 ohm which I didnt really like that much, but it probably would have suited your need very well (even though IMO its too bassy).

I am pretty sure I was like "Hey I'm interested in buying those" and then you were like "cool" and then *thread deleted*

Or was that a different headphones?
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
Just dropping by to say that my friend loves the RE2's. She's never used double flange tips before and I dunno if she can change the filters when the time comes (I wasn't too sure myself).

I made her a simple case out of an altoid can and some bubble wrap from the package ^_^

The E5 amp is pretty cool I guess. I don't notice a huge difference, but none of my headphones are high resistance. The bass boost switch is interesting when I want a different sound, but I still prefer flat.

Not bad for 30'ish bucks.

I like the RE2 as well for the price. I don't like the Fiio E5 (IMO it makes things worse), but it's nice just to see how things work I guess.
So, I can definitely expect MUCH more from a decent amp right?

As in a midrange one, not anything high end that's made to match thousand dollar headphones.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gimp is Pimp(tm)

DarkJak's Wide-Range Texture Shop[LINK]

Incognito - [o]
Originally Posted by DarkJak View Post
So, I can definitely expect MUCH more from a decent amp right?

As in a midrange one, not anything high end that's made to match thousand dollar headphones.

Not really.

Speakers/Headphones >>>>> Recording Quality >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Amp/DAC

If you want better sound TBH the only "real" way is to get better headphones.

I'd recommend steering clear of headphones that need amps anyway, as it tends to get a bit pricey for small improvements.

Stax on the other hand I do recommend because they sound better than all other headphones by design alone (IMO). But they need an amp (because they work via static electricity which needs many volts).
Price: around 50€ (68 USD) , less would be cool.
Device: Creative Zen mp3 player
What for: 100% Music, mainly rock/metal
Important factors: isolating, in-ear and as robust as possible, don't want them to get broken too quickly.

edit: oh and yeah, I chose sound quality over comfort.
Last edited by Smurklan; Jan 31, 2011 at 08:20 AM.
Originally Posted by Smurklan View Post
Price: around 50€ (68 USD) , less would be cool.
Device: Creative Zen mp3 player
What for: 100% Music, mainly rock/metal
Important factors: isolating, in-ear and as robust as possible, don't want them to get broken too quickly.

edit: oh and yeah, I chose sound quality over comfort.

Take a look at head-direct.com

The Viasian (vsonic) RO2 is good.

So is the RE2 (and RE0).

Not sure how the prices translate exactly when you factor in cost.

Canalphones aren't going to last forever, but I've had my current ones (ER4P) for years and they're fine.

I'd probably recomment the vsonic, whose durability is ok. Soemtimes the casing comes off (could have been a bad batch about 6 months ago, though), but they're easily reglueable (not super glue, itll damage the driver).

I wouldn't (and can't) recommend anything cheaper than the RE2 or Vsonic in a canalphone

Originally Posted by DjPz View Post
I'm in the eastern USA region, any price under $80 is reasonable for me. I'm looking for head phones for drumming, so noise cancelation is a plus. A fair amount of bass would be nice in them too, comfortability is a plus too.

What would you guys recommend?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. A lot of drummers I know use ultimate ears, however since being bought by logitech, they've had a LOT of failures.

I personally recommend using an Etymotic headphone (buy the best one you can afford).

They have the highest isolation I've personally experienced (that includes customs) and they offer very clear sound more or less across the range (particularly the ER4).

However, if you're looking for more bass, a Vsonic (mentioned above) is a good idea.

Other bassy canalphone options (an area i'm not exactly full bottle on) that I think are outside of your price range are Sennheiser IE8, Radius TWF11R and Atrio M5.
Last edited by m0o; Feb 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM.
What do you all think about head phone burn in? Does it really make a difference? I just bought some new earbuds that were supposed to have decent bass, and there's none at all - but I read burning them in first could help.

For example http://www.burninwave.com/
Hey, I've never bought headphones and I've been using my brother's crappy ones ever since my proper headphones died after 2 years of intense service.
I like on-ear headphones that have a rich and powerful sound. I don't mind them looking like giant tires strapped around my head as long as they're good and comfortable (I wear headphones for long sessions). Isolation would be nice but I don't really need it ; it's pretty quiet around here. Overall I'd like to know if you could recommend me comfortable on-ear pair of headphones with rich sound in my modest budget of around 40 euros. I hear loud bass often makes them more expensive but if it's possible to add that to the requirements without moving the price range I'm all for it.

I listen to psychadelic rock, jazz and some heavy metal mainly. I'd like to be able to enjoy the sound of a solo electric guitar (say a good Santana song) with a colourful sound.

If you have suggestions that you deem so amazingly fitting but more expensive, feel free to suggest away. I don't even know if it's possible to find good headphones at such a low price.

EDIT: oh look, I didn't even read the first post when writing that.
I guess that I could add I'd be connecting it mainly to my computer but sometimes to my ipod nano on the tramway.
Last edited by Muffindo; Feb 14, 2011 at 04:50 PM.