Ranking
Original Post
Dark Souls III
Dark Souls 3

Dark Souls is an action RPG that's (in)famous for its difficulty and cryptic expectations of the player, whether it be completing
the story or mastering the mechanics, there's very little hand-holding in the series. The game will test your resolve as you
die over and over, time and time again. As the third (surprise) installation in the series, Dark Souls III is a suspected love
letter to the fans that will hopefully fill some of the larger gaps in the lore and story within the world. The game is
set to release on April 11th 2016 for Xbox One, PS4 and PC.

Related media:

CGI Trailer:

NEW! Gameplay trailer:

Content:

This thread's OP will contain a focus on Dark Souls III related media for the time being but we're not opposed to overarching
discussion on the other games in the series. Feel free to discuss any new content releases regarding the newer games or discuss
the older games that you enjoy. Need help? Probably a bunch of people in here that could give you advice, or perhaps your
questions have been answered in some of the older Dark Souls threads (linked at the bottom of the thread). That said, try to keep
anything that may contain spoilers in spoiler tags and give ample warning beforehand. I know it's difficult to keep everyone happy
but yeah, just a consideration.

In short: Any Souls games discussion is allowed, be it lore, media, hints, whatever.

Older threads for reference:
Dark Souls
Dark Souls
II
Last edited by Gynx; Mar 24, 2016 at 12:06 AM.
new trailer was hecking sick, im really hype for some of the environments, enemies, weapons and armors. the movement and animation look really cool too, seems like a general improvement in that department over the previous games
[CENTER]
lead Sigma
So hyped. Gonna totally beat this game since I'm so pro at Dark Souls 1.

uh, no blue screens this time... right?

Also preordered

also the fucking music choice on the second video... yeah no
The bad: fast travel, stat reassignment, graphics issues in betas, phantom hits in mp test, lots of reuse from bloodborne...
The questionable: return to mana, 5v1 ganks, poise break on bosses seems e z, I be they already have more dlc planned
The good: soul level pvp, 5 player, 5v5?!, no more arenas (better to make your own eg burg)

They made it a lot more casual, but IF From manage to figure out how to make non-terrible netcode, and fix the fps problems, this could be legit... But that's a big "if", so we will have to see.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I've played two of the games (sadly no Demon's Souls) and most of what you listed (outside the obvious qualms about it being technically sound, phantom hits, graphics issues, etc.) really weren't things that I factored in to why I liked or disliked the games. I guess it comes down to what you want from the series but From could do most/none/whatever with most of those features/mechanics and I'd probably still find it as fun as the other games. I think the only thing that I would be upset about is if they didn't have a covenant devoted to beefing the game up a bit, a la the company of champions covenant in Dark Souls II. That and hopefully their bosses are more Bloodborne/Dark Souls inspired over Dark Souls II, but I won't complain either way as long as they're hype as fuck.
What I want: A good game
What I don't want: Another Dark Souls 2

From what I've heard it's more like the earlier games than DS2, I can live with that.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by Gynx View Post
I've played two of the games (sadly no Demon's Souls) and most of what you listed (outside the obvious qualms about it being technically sound, phantom hits, graphics issues, etc.) really weren't things that I factored in to why I liked or disliked the games. I guess it comes down to what you want from the series but From could do most/none/whatever with most of those features/mechanics and I'd probably still find it as fun as the other games. I think the only thing that I would be upset about is if they didn't have a covenant devoted to beefing the game up a bit, a la the company of champions covenant in Dark Souls II. That and hopefully their bosses are more Bloodborne/Dark Souls inspired over Dark Souls II, but I won't complain either way as long as they're hype as fuck.

Only bad thing about champions was no coop, which made it pointless apart from on your first playthrough.

The things I listed all come under 'dumbing down the game', IMO not a good thing, eg fast travel replacing good level design, or stat reassignment replacing thinking, arenas replacing looking for players/the meta. This lead to poor level design and splitting the pvp unnecessary (you could say burg vs township is a split, but players can still visit both as much as they want unlike arena which requires covenant).

But as long as they can fix their netcode and use SL pvp then really I think it should turn out OK... Hopefully...
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
IIRC SL PvP & CO-OP was confirmed, so no more of that soul memory crap. Fingers crossed.

I'm more interested in the general combat, it was pretty grim in DS2.

Ripostes were so slow to use, blocking on reaction didn't work properly so you had to have your finger glued down before attacks happened, and those 360 spin auto tracking enemies... Yeah, I just love avoiding an attack just to see them do a spinning top impression and hit me regardless. -_-

The world design was piss poor sure, and fast travel from the start was a dumb fix, but it really was all the wonky combat that killed it for me.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
IIRC SL PvP & CO-OP was confirmed, so no more of that soul memory crap. Fingers crossed.

I'm more interested in the general combat, it was pretty grim in DS2.

Ripostes were so slow to use, blocking on reaction didn't work properly so you had to have your finger glued down before attacks happened, and those 360 spin auto tracking enemies... Yeah, I just love avoiding an attack just to see them do a spinning top impression and hit me regardless. -_-

The world design was piss poor sure, and fast travel from the start was a dumb fix, but it really was all the wonky combat that killed it for me.

you did make me laugh when you said ds2 was bad