Ranking
Originally Posted by Maoz View Post
you did make me laugh when you said ds2 was bad

I never said it was bad, it's just not as good as it's predecessor unless you're one of the people that values visuals more than gameplay.

All in all it's not what I'd call a bad game, a bad follow up yes, but as a whole it's not arse.

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you
Originally Posted by SkulFuk View Post
IIRC SL PvP & CO-OP was confirmed, so no more of that soul memory crap. Fingers crossed.

I'm more interested in the general combat, it was pretty grim in DS2.

Ripostes were so slow to use, blocking on reaction didn't work properly so you had to have your finger glued down before attacks happened, and those 360 spin auto tracking enemies... Yeah, I just love avoiding an attack just to see them do a spinning top impression and hit me regardless. -_-

The world design was piss poor sure, and fast travel from the start was a dumb fix, but it really was all the wonky combat that killed it for me.

Ohoho, I wonder how much beta you have watched? I'm thinking of a particular mini-boss type enemy that will happily track 180 degrees...

Wonky combat was because of poor PvP IMO, putting aside monastery scim etc, they had to make things balanced for pvp and pve and because pvp was laggy af there's not much choice. I think parry was OK, I prefered the parrying in DKS1 probably just because I played it a lot more and there were more obvious telegraphs (eg the hollows in burg are easy to parry because it's pretty much the same window every time, whereas in forest they are very unpredictable - there are some straight attacks, but also some with very long charge up times that telegraph similarly).

I'm a boss killer and pvp player, so parrying trash doesn't really matter to me and I didn't even learn to parry them properly in the end. I don't think parry fishing is very effective in dks2 after monastery was nerfed, it was all about the 1hits and wombo combos tbh.

As you said to Maoz, game wasn't bad, but a bad sequel. World design is the really obvious one when you go from DKS1's design to DKS2, who the heck thought that would be a good idea really... It wouldn't have been so bad if DKS2 was stand alone, but the contrast between the two is really big.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I really hated the world design in DKS1 so I obviously prefer DKS2.

Also the DLC areas are way better than the regular areas in DKS2

EDIT: Also the fact that Solaire is in the game, he's annoying. And that excluding parrying, the combat is horrible.
Last edited by MAOZ_old; Feb 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
What didn't you like about the world design in dks1?

Combat in dks1 and 2 is largely the same apart from telegraphs IMO.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
What didn't you like about the world design in dks1?

Combat in dks1 and 2 is largely the same apart from telegraphs IMO.

i feel really trapped in dks1, i mean, the atmosphere is great but i prefer large open areas. Might also be since I never finished the game properly. i really dont see why people call dark souls 2 trash i still think its a great game (All souls games are though)
Originally Posted by Maoz View Post
i feel really trapped in dks1, i mean, the atmosphere is great but i prefer large open areas. Might also be since I never finished the game properly. i really dont see why people call dark souls 2 trash i still think its a great game (All souls games are though)

it felt like there was a LOT more care put into dark souls 1 than 2. the punishment and difficulty in dark souls 1 was only there to give personality and immerse you in the world, when you fucked up it was your fault for the most part. dark souls 2 was difficult because dark souls 1 was difficult. ALSO also the level design in dark souls 2 is terrible. for instance look whats blocking the way when you try to get to the castle, a couple of broken pillars and the shrine of winter. so your character, rather than climbing a bunch of pillars, kills the most powerful beings in that universe in order to get past the pillars. :/
how far did you get into dark souls 1?

also i've found that the pvp in dark souls 2 is a lot less about skill and a lot more about how much higher a level you are than your opponent.

sums up every issue i've seen with dark souls 2
Last edited by Nearly; Feb 29, 2016 at 04:04 PM.
wow that
sucked
The only thing I liked from DS2 more than DS1 was that if you fucked up in 2, then you lost a part of overall life, in 1, all you lost were souls and active humanity. Albeit there was a ring very early on to Cap the life loss at 75%.
Im pretty sure it being based on SL was confirmed which i definitely like, im actually trying to stay in the dark on this game so i can be surprised a bit when it comes out
i created the ??? emoji
like a lighter bitch we ignit
Im not going to risk it again... All the frustration, time spent into it, Broken Equiment ... i feel like i will pay more time and money for repairing instead for the actual game .... that simply isn't a Game for me q-q
Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
I think parry was OK, I prefered the parrying in DKS1 probably just because [stuff...]

It's more what happens after a parry that got on my tits.

DS1 parry -> instant riposte. Fast, feels good.
DS2 parry -> wait for them to fall on their ass -> realise you can't even fucking riposte until the land-on-ass animation has ended -> never parry again!

DS2 parry turns into something you do to get a bit of breathing space, or you end up raping RB and prodding things to death with that.

Funny thing is I'm not all that into parries, roll all day etc, but it's nice knowing the option is there & that it doesn't suck... Unless it's DS2. ;)

<Erf> SkulFuk: gf just made a toilet sniffing joke at me
<Erf> i think
<Erf> i think i hate you