Toribash
Original Post
Chat improvement (Clan about)
Maybe we can have a chat for the clan inside the game, like some MMORPG have, some people doesn't know about the forum existence, and who knows sometimes don't know that a war is on for example.
I don't think it's so much hard to make multiple chat, like a whisper, but for the whole clan, like an auto connect chat.
Undead Leader - Item Forger - Left-Handed - DeviantArt - Scorpius
[SIGPIC]https://cache.toribash.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4476328_4.gif[/SIGPIC]
I love that idea I was thinking of something like that the other day... but we do have discord and most people just use it so I mean idk how useful this would be.
Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
Just dropping a note here that ingame clan chat has been talked about by myself and sir in the past as an idea not as anything concrete.

TL;DR version of that discussion:
Clan chat can't be made same way as regular room / matchmake chat primarily because that'd require a separate port for every single clan.
It can be done as a way to post general clan announcements about wars and whatnot though - store message to forum db, then refresh about once a minute. Obviously, there's going to be a delay between message submitting and chat refreshing and that won't be enough to actually chat but good when you need to notify all online members about a war / tournament.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
TLR version of that discussion:
Clan chat can't be made same way as regular room / matchmake chat primarily because that'd require a separate port for every single clan.
It can be done as a way to post general clan announcements about wars and whatnot though - store message to forum db, then refresh about once a minute. Obviously, there's going to be a delay between message submitting and chat refreshing and that won't be enough to actually chat but good when you need to notify all online members about a war / tournament.

Begs questions why another protocol wasn't used in the first place. Maybe a IRC like implementation could/would be viable for TB2.0 atleast?
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
I believe IRC isn't used mainly because of speed.

I'm sure it's easy to implement IRC on a videogame, specially since it's easy to make an IRC client from scratch.
Keep walking
Originally Posted by TananPro View Post
I believe IRC isn't used mainly because of speed.

I'm sure it's easy to implement IRC on a videogame, specially since it's easy to make an IRC client from scratch.

That's true if you are in programing class 101 and use irc like communication for the back-end of a game, for chat functions however, a 1-2 second delay but a usable tool that can be built upon is a good feature, in difference to the current mess that is. "Speed" is not an issue here and has never been in the history of toribash, the main issue has been the dependancy of good hardware hence all the rounding errors the client spits out all the time which leads to a pretty bad development cycle. Not sure why more suitable vector coordinates werent used for the game itself, but it has nothing to do with "speed" in the sense of client to server (client to client) communication. The latency of a chat wouldn't even be questioned if it were kept below 2 seconds, since the only way to test it, and notice it, would be if you "HAD" to send messages quickly, which isnt the case in TB. Now, not having game commands being sent on the IRC line is pretty obvious, but all client to server communication could easily be parsed out of chat by a simple lookup or parse-through if a command is invalid.
Last edited by Smogard49; May 16, 2018 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Fuck spelling, English ain't my native and I'm in a rush.
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
You're right. Why do we need 300ms text messaging anyway?

Using the IRC protocol for the chat would be a very good idea, specially since I believe toribash already handles technical game stuff and chat independently. It would just open for a universe of options that could be done with the chat.
Keep walking
I would love to see this implemented as an in-game clan notifications rather than a chat service. It'd be easy to send out announcements in-game for wars and such. Since chat wouldn't work well an in-game announcement program would be better for clans, and add a choice for which ranks in the clan can use this feature.