Ranking
Original Post
Ranking Updates
This thread's purpose is to gather more thoughts on Matchmaking and how it should work.

Toribash development team is currently focused on making the Matchmaking system work as you would expect a proper matchmaking to, and we would like to make sure our current plans fit community's desires and views on it. Any thoughts and new ideas are welcome and will be considered.

What is currently planned to be implemented:

• Ranked - a "first to 3" duel
    • No mod choice - players get to fight in randomly selected mods (mod changes each fight).
      Draft mod list: aikidobigdojo.tbm, taekkyon.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm (or rk-mma.tbm), judofrac.tbm
    • Brown belt restriction
    • Seasonal rank resets (3 months for season length)
    • No daily rank 1 reward. Instead, weekly rewards for top n players or one-time reward at the end of the season.
    • Matchmaking being the only way to rank up.

• Unranked - a "first to 2" duel
    • Pick the mod group to play
    • No belt restriction

We also plan to disable daily rank 1 rewards for now as it has turned into "farm rank without getting caught" fest.
It doesn't mean that everybody with top ranks farmed their way up, but Event Squad members have to deal with rank-related reports on almost a daily basis. We may still reward top players in some way.

EDIT (10/03/2017):
Originally Posted by sir View Post
Matchmaking mods have been changed, mod list now consists of "classic" mods.

Grappling: aikido.tbm, aikidobigdojo.tbm, greykido.tbm
Kicking: taekkyon.tbm, erthtkv2.tbm, kickbox.tbm
Striking: lenshu3ng.tbm, rk-mma.tbm, wushu3box.tbm

Last edited by sir; Mar 12, 2017 at 12:12 AM.
I totally agree with what Fistoflife said.
Achieving a higher rank/tier is motivation enough for people. I don't really like the idea of
tc prizes, especially if it will be higher than 1m tc generated each month.
Originally Posted by Cheers2 View Post
Can I get free tc

no, go away.

anyways, i didnt read fistoflifes post until now, and i honestly think he gave some of the best recommendations.

but i have a question, are the mod bans gonna be from top level in toribash aswell? or for the entire ranked community?
maybe later
Originally Posted by Oxblix View Post
no, go away.

anyways, i didnt read fistoflifes post until now, and i honestly think he gave some of the best recommendations.

but i have a question, are the mod bans gonna be from top level in toribash aswell? or for the entire ranked community?

Entire toribash ranked mode imo is best. If i'm understanding what your saying correctly.
Usually you don't need prizes to get people playing on competitive modes, look at csgo or lol, where the only things you get from playing competitive is experience, and maybe a rank up. (ocasionally you could get a drop or sth) If prizes are too high we might get an other tc inflation.
<Xioi> Become one with the bleach
Steam
I like this a lot.

Only thing is that Erthtk is 100% more viable for skill than normal TK.
100dm and floor dq is just dumb.

I really like the random mods system and I think it promotes overall skill.
3 Month seasons also feel more reasonable than just 1 month.

Sounds bloody good.

Also what fist has been mostly on point with his feedback. Listen to the man.
Last edited by cowmeat; Mar 6, 2017 at 06:18 PM.
Originally Posted by sir View Post
This thread's purpose is to gather more thoughts on Matchmaking and how it should work.

Toribash development team is currently focused on making the Matchmaking system work as you would expect a proper matchmaking to, and we would like to make sure our current plans fit community's desires and views on it. Any thoughts and new ideas are welcome and will be considered.

What is currently planned to be implemented:

• Ranked - a "first to 3" duel
    • No mod choice - players get to fight in randomly selected mods (mod changes each fight).
      Draft mod list: aikidobigdojo.tbm, taekkyon.tbm, lenshu3ng.tbm (or rk-mma.tbm), judofrac.tbm
    • Brown belt restriction
    • Seasonal rank resets (3 months for season length)
    • No daily rank 1 reward. Instead, weekly rewards for top n players or one-time reward at the end of the season.
    • Matchmaking being the only way to rank up.

• Unranked - a "first to 2" duel
    • Pick the mod group to play
    • No belt restriction

We also plan to disable daily rank 1 rewards for now as it has turned into "farm rank without getting caught" fest.
It doesn't mean that everybody with top ranks farmed their way up, but Event Squad members have to deal with rank-related reports on almost a daily basis. We may still reward top players in some way.

sounds good like it is
-----
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
I like this a lot.

Only thing is that Erthtk is 100% more viable for skill than normal TK.
100dm and floor dq is just dumb.

I really like the random mods system and I think it promotes overall skill.
3 Month seasons also feel more reasonable than just 1 month.

Sounds bloody good.

Also what fist has been mostly on point with his feedback. Listen to the man.

wow and also sorry that i have to deny this, erthtk was made for ppl who cant get into the normal tk... if you didn't know this already
tk is more viable for skill than erthtk
erthtk is nice tho
Last edited by BlueEvil; Mar 6, 2017 at 06:54 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump

Water Melon, Fire Melon, Earth Melon, Air Melon... The ELEMELONS!
Originally Posted by BlueEvil View Post
sounds good like it is

wow and also sorry that i have to deny this, erthtk was made for ppl who cant get into the normal tk... if you didn't know this already
tk is more viable for skill than erthtk
erthtk is nice tho

Because a mod is made with something in mind doesn't mean the outcome always reflects that something..... if you didn't know this already.

Tk is 100% less viable. With 100DM, the chance for random DM's is much higher.

Some of my reasoning here:

#1 The combination of low DM and DQ floor creates games where a single random DM decides games where as in erthtk you have to work for the DQ win.

#2 The lower gravity makes snapkicks way more viable and lowers the need for good balance = less skill

#3 Anecdotal: My highest winstreak in erthtk is around 30 in public (vs public randoms) where as it's around 15 in normal TK. It's way harder to streak in vanilla TK, because the mod is more random and less skill based.

#4 Running in erthtk is super hard. In normal TK, super easy. You have to work for the point victory.

#5 self damage encourages good form and proper attacks while in normal TK you can flail without thinking if you choose to do so.

Literally all of the skill factors that are in normal TK are in ERTHTK while it removes a lot of normal TKs randomness.
Last edited by cowmeat; Mar 6, 2017 at 08:22 PM.
If we are doing to do tc prizes, it'd be best to see it as a big tourney at the end of the season

Similar to how ES/Erth were doing tourneys at the end of the month, but Erth stopped after like the 1st or 2nd one iirc.

(im)

I agree with wizard. If it's gonna be like that it would be best as a tourney. If that idea fails prizes should go out to top 10 ranked players.
Oh shit it's some profound text.
I disagree with the random mods bit. However, it does make sense.

I believe that you should have the ranking system base off of this premise:

Ranks for Grappling
Ranks for Striking
Ranks for Kicking
etc.

Each of these ranking categories come with its own playlist of mods. I definitely believe this would be a much better system to have. Comments?

i miss you ocean