Ranking
Original Post
Maybe One Day
Sup boys, made a new lil thing thing. I like it a lot.
CnC preciated.

Programs Used:
FL Studio
Woooww, reaallly oldschool chilly vibe. Reminds me of my brother listening to his friends' FL tracks on myspace. Not sure if it's something I'd listen to a lot, but I like it.

Try getting some more "realistic"/live-y drum samples. Wonder how something like this would sound with them.

Second time someone said something I made, made them reminisce or make them feel reminiscent. Lol someone else said i need a more liv-y bass line. Ill look into it. Thanks for the feedback my bro dude man guy.
Feedback. Spending more time on the negatives since it's more important to know what sucked than what was good.
At least imho.

The problems:

#1 Interest
When starting to build a song up figure out your point of interest. In this case your driving force is the intro synth that keeps repeating throughout the song. The problem with it is that it doesn't do anything.
There is no real progression and the short melody it follows is to say crudely quite obnoxious.

#2 Fill it up.
Think about how to fill up the production reasonably. Currently you have pretty clean and thin melody synth, sub, kick, a small pluck and some percs.
If you have only a few intruments make sure they are individually fat so that the track doesn't feel empty. In this case you run into problems since the synth nor the bass occupy more than a small slice of the total frequency range.

#3 Compositional structure
Currently the song just loops the same thing while adding one or two percs once in a while in there.
Even in a laid back "chill" track, there needs to be progression to keep the listeners interest up. This can be a new element added that changes the dynamic of the song or an entirely different chord progression and instrumentation. It doesn't always need to be radical.
But there needs to be something.

#4 Sound design
The synths did not sound good. The lead synth being the big problem, it certainly wouldn't want to listen to that looping for a long time. The same applies for the sub bass, its functional but boring. When there are no other bass elements than a singular sub bass, it needs to be thicker and more interesting. Same applies for the percs. Most of the percs are just there, they don't have much dynamics nor pop to them.

Positives:

Balance
Everything is mostly in a good balance nothing is massively too loud nor quiet, sure the perc mixing is a bit lackluster but the general balance is there.

Cleanness
The track is easy to follow and not too crowded. (a bit empty) Many beginners make tracks that are way too crowded and hard to follow, which wasn't the case here.

Theme
All the instruments were thematically similar and there were no outliers in the sounds. Everything kept to a similar theme.
Last edited by cowmeat; Jan 4, 2017 at 11:28 AM.
nice feed back friend, I would like to know the goods of the track as well, so I can know what i'm doing right as well ya know?

But thanks for the feed back, I'm relatively new to producing and I kinda agree with the synth being bad. It sounded like a key was off, but it sounded pretty good to me. Not too sure, maybe it was just the plugin.

Can you give me an example of filling up the frequency range though. I understand what you mean, but I need like an example to fully understand. If that's a retarded question then nevermind lol.

Or there might be videos on it probably, google is my friend right, but thanks for the feed back, I really preeshiate it

Also I thought the octave changes of the synth, and the center part of the song where I introduce the bongos made it a bit more unique instead of looping it giving it a different lil vibe. Did it not? or was it not enough
Last edited by rickie; Jan 4, 2017 at 08:19 PM.
Originally Posted by Bands View Post
nice feed back friend, I would like to know the goods of the track as well, so I can know what i'm doing right as well ya know?

But thanks for the feed back, I'm relatively new to producing and I kinda agree with the synth being bad. It sounded like a key was off, but it sounded pretty good to me. Not too sure, maybe it was just the plugin.

Can you give me an example of filling up the frequency range though. I understand what you mean, but I need like an example to fully understand. If that's a retarded question then nevermind lol.

Or there might be videos on it probably, google is my friend right, but thanks for the feed back, I really preeshiate it

Also I thought the octave changes of the synth, and the center part of the song where I introduce the bongos made it a bit more unique instead of looping it giving it a different lil vibe. Did it not? or was it not enough

I can surely give some refrences about fullness in electronic music.

https://soundcloud.com/officialmedas...oy-schoolboy-q

Notice how even if there is pretty much only the low bass and the synth in the beginning with the vox, the synth lives in the lower mids making it sound warm and full.
When the drop comes the bass gets turned up and the pluck is again very wide frequency wise.
As you can hear having low mid synths and good warm reverb fills up the track without making it feel crowded.

https://soundcloud.com/futureclassic...-lewis-remix-1

Speaking of bass. Notice how the subbass in this track is super wide. When you have solo basses (or almost solo) you need to make sure they super wide.
You can also fill up the track with some ambience like they do here.

https://soundcloud.com/foolsgoldrecs/quix-laundry

Same of the above here. Notice how wide the synths are when they are soloed.

Now if you are intersted in how to make good electronic music I recommend checking out as many different tracks as you can and figuring out what kind of elements and techniques they use in the tracks you like.
Good way to improve is to brutally compare your tracks to the ones you think are world class. It sucks and makes you feel like shit, but hey, that's how you improve.

EDIT:

Kind of similar concept to your track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zScSI8WT8og

Notice how the lead synth again is much lower and warmer. The lows are lower and the highs are higher
Last edited by cowmeat; Jan 4, 2017 at 09:22 PM.
Alright cool, what does it mean to make the frequency wide. As I said before i'm relatively new to producing lol.
assuming what cowmeat means, If you have a synth that is just 1 oscillator, youre gonna have a hard time making the synth fill the frequency spectrum (occupy the bass midrange and treble, not just 1 of them) since its just gonna live in a particular small frequency band. (Obviously you dont have to do that every time but in this particular case it would have probably sounded better.) You can try to turn on more oscillators and lower or up the octave on them to make it sound more full, so you would have multiple oscillators playing their sound at different octaves and with different timbres/soundwaves if you wanted. You can also try to play bass notes with the same synth, or do really big chords but i suspect that won't work very well.

You can also put a lowpass filter on the synth and then automate the frequency at which it cuts off to make the sound less flat, like one of the tracks cowmeat linked has a plucked sound in it iirc and it is probably mostly an envelope that makes the filter initially cut off at a really high frequency and then very quickly it changes to cut off the midrange. Automation is just that, changing the values of parametres over time. You can automate anything pretty much, for example automating the pitch extremely slightly with a sine wave (so that it keeps increasing and decreasing over time) makes synths sound really cute, and all you would use for that is a low frequency oscillator (it makes a parametre change constantly according to a certain wave form) controlling the pitch.
Last edited by pusga; Jan 5, 2017 at 07:55 PM.
oh yeah
Well it wasnt just one oscillator, oscillator 1 is a sine wave while oscillator 2 was a saw wave iirc.
Hello bands, Great track for a starter.
If you plan to grow on music production there are many things you need to improve.
Nobody will be able to tell you all about it.
But for some of the most important things you need to know.

1.Know why you choose an instrument
Knowing what instruments to pick, will help you build a full sounding track.
-There are 3 different sections of frequencies
Low frequencies
Mid frequencies
High frequencies
Obviously there aren't ONLY 3 types of frequencies.
But frequencies ranging from
1Hz to 250Hz are called Low frequencies
250Hz to 6kHz are called Mid frequencies
6kHz to 16kHz are called High frequencies

You need to pick at least one instrument of each type to make a full sounding track
And there are instruments which take up a lot of space, for example
I like having my bass instruments going from Low to (High-mid) frequencies.
It's just my preference.
But after having a bass instrument wide like that, i only need one more instrument to fill up the High frequencies.
I can
A.Use hihat hits
Or
B.Find an instrument with alot of high frequencys
I would use the hihats because melodic instruments with high frequencies only, don't sound pleasing to me.
But again, this is only personal preference.

And remember, this doesn't mean if i use a wide bass, i can't choose to play other instruments with it.
It depends on the song and the genre. adding too many instruments will sound very busy.

2.Make up different sections for the song to keep the music interesting.
You can get creative with your song structure but these are the most used song sections of modern music.
-Intro
-Chorus
-Verse
-Bridge
-Outro
I will quickly give a description of what is what

--Intro: Depending on the genre, you can sweep an intro in very smoothly
To create a vibe before getting to the actual song.
Or for electronic/dance genres. some people like to go in really hard to take attention. it's completely personal preference.

--Chorus: Something repetitive, it should stick in the listeners head
It's usually the highest pitched section of the song. Repeated at least twice or more.

--Verse: The Verse is usually slower than the chorus, less drum hits
And slower chord progressions. Middle pitch of the song. Usually longer than the chorus. Repeated at least once. ( usually twice )

--Bridge: Creepy/Sad/Slow/Relaxing/Surprising.
Usually played in the lower pitch of the song
I have never heard a song with more than 1 bridge.
It is used to break off the listener from all the repetitive choruses and verses.
Usually played near the (Middle-End) to keep the listener interested.

--Outro:You can get pretty creative with this, For dance music, people usually try to use as little notes as possible, this way it will be easy for the DJ to find a song which matches with it.
But for other types of songs, you can either add extra tention, which makes the vibe kinda "Hopeful/Happy"
Or you can release tension, make everything slower and whisper out.
Which is the exact opposite. "Collapsing/Sad"

Now if you don't know about different sections of music.
I bet you don't know how to make them fit neither.
When i was new, i would try to make different melodies to play at different times to keep the song interesting.
But whenever i tried that, the melodies just didn't fit together.

That was because i didn't know anything about music keys and scales.
If you want to avoid music theory.
STICK TO THE WHITE NOTES
But if you wan't to use black notes.
Know that each piece of music has a key it's playing on.
Each key is a group of a bunch of notes, playing notes OUTSIDE of this group will sound unpleasing.
However there's no rules in music, this is only theory. feel free to use the notes outside of a key if it sounds good to you. But it usually doesn't sound good.
Music theory wasn't set up by dumb asses so i would recommend sticking to it.
But only break it when you mastered it.
To learn each and every key of music you can google "Music theory. every piano keys and scales"

Careful what key you choose because it will heavily change the mood and vibe of your song.

As i said before there are a lot more for you to learn.
But i don't want to sit down and write you a novel.
Hell music gets psychological after a while of practicing.

i will be glad to help if you had questions, Pm if you wish.
Great luck
Last edited by Mafi; Jan 7, 2017 at 08:49 PM.
You can't fight change. You can't fight nature.