Toribash
Original Post
black matter research (weaponize)
The next infinite power source that will make nuclear power look like a battery in a child's toy....now the question i have is do you think humans will be stupid enough to make a black matter bomb in the future? [note: a black matter bomb wouldn't be measured in miles, but continents] we made nuclear power into a weapon, but do you think we would make black matter a weapon? (this is a what if question, cause we don't have the tech to contain black matter....at this point in time)
Good Renders Everyone's Emotional Doom.
"Come with me, and let's watch the world burn together"
Um, I don't think you really understand what you're talking about.

One, it's Dark Matter, Not Black Matter. And Two, Astronomers just recently discovered it. So what makes you think it can be harnessed as an energy source, even in the future? I don't think we can make any kind of weapon. Especially since we can't even see it.

I'd like to see some sources please.

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
Originally Posted by Bavaros View Post
we don't have the tech to contain black matter....at this point in time)

We don't even have the tech to LOOK at the stuff, if there even is stuff. There is a bit of a debate on that specific fact.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That’'s how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.
wait...dark matter, black matter same thing, and we know it exists.... we have the tech to move particles like 2 feet by means of teleportation. In the future we will have the means to contain it. But didn't they also say nuclear energy was impossible to contain in the past. But besides all the specs and prove your point to be valid to an ever-growing industry based on new discoveries. The question was would people be stupid enough to use this energy as a weapon in the future.

http://www.engineering.com/Videos/Vi...arness-It.aspx
Good Renders Everyone's Emotional Doom.
"Come with me, and let's watch the world burn together"
Originally Posted by Bavaros View Post
The question was would people be stupid enough to use this energy as a weapon in the future.

We could do. From the discovery of the nucleus to humans being able to split it in nuclear bombs took less than 40 years. When something like this comes along, it becomes a matter of national security for countries to develop. Why? Because if you don't, your neighbour will (and what do you think would happen if your neighbour doesn't like you). Worse, nowadays in this globalised world, every country is our neighbour. In international relations, we call this the 'security dilemma'. It becomes an arms race and whoever develops the tech first wins.

If you look at nuclear weapons, what happened is Western states (since US developed nuclear weapons first) have banded together to prevent other (possibly destabilizing) states from being allowed to have nuclear weapons - We formalised this in an international treaty called the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Act (the only states who haven't signed the treaty are Israel, Pakista, India and South Sudan).

This is how we've managed to keep the lid on nuclear warfare since the end of WW2 - Only our side is allowed to have them. If other states attempt to obtain nuclear weapons, they become international pariahs and we enforce heavy economic sanctions on them (like we used to do with Iran (and may do again thanks to Trump)).

If weaponised dark matter eventually became feasible, then you can bet your ass that there'll be a bunch of countries saying 'DO NOT DEVELOP THIS TECH' publicly to one another and then, behind closed doors, be funnelling a fuckload of money into trying to develop the shit out of it. The West would probably win again though, since real smart science types tend to congregate more in democratic countries and places like San Fran, and usually don't like working under duress for dictators/kings.

Also, just as an interesting aside, this process will likely happen with AI too.
Last edited by Ele; Dec 18, 2016 at 05:03 AM.