ES Recruitment Drive
every person who posted here about google rulez fails...

trust me.. stick to the old windows XP pro. and use Mozzila firefox for you're internet.

User infracted for minorly insulting other members~ Hyde
Last edited by Hyde; Dec 30, 2010 at 10:25 PM.
Originally Posted by Takkrala View Post

trust me.. stick to the old windows XP pro. and use Mozzila firefox for you're internet.

Have you used windows 7, or chrome? I used to use xp and firefox, but am perfectly happy with 7 and chrome, though I do sometimes miss firefox. 7 is pretty much alright by me though, not all THAT different really once you get used to it.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
Originally Posted by Onamist View Post
Isn't the idea that only programs and information that you decide is distributed over the network, and everything private is restricted only to your computer?

Some companys have expressed concerns over data security (some 'dodgey' people have cheerfully pointed out that a gaining a warrant for cloud data may be difficult), but modern encryption is very good, and as you say, private data is kept locally. However, for example, your emails would be on the cloud, as with Gmail, and your docs, as with Google Docs.

I havn't heard of anyone cracking Gmail or Google Docs (yes I know someone broke Mileys, but that was not cracking, they used the 'forgot password' feature)

Originally Posted by Takkrala View Post

> XP
> FF

Wow dude you are like 3 years behind.

XP is outdated, slow, incompatible, unable to run modern games, or modern computers.
FF is behind the curve, slow, bloated, not modern at all.
When I see you, my heart goes DOKI⑨DOKI
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
Some companys have expressed concerns over data security (some 'dodgey' people have cheerfully pointed out that a gaining a warrant for cloud data may be difficult), but modern encryption is very good, and as you say, private data is kept locally. However, for example, your emails would be on the cloud, as with Gmail, and your docs, as with Google Docs.

I havn't heard of anyone cracking Gmail or Google Docs (yes I know someone broke Mileys, but that was not cracking, they used the 'forgot password' feature)

> XP
> FF

Wow dude you are like 3 years behind.

XP is outdated, slow, incompatible, unable to run modern games, or modern computers.
FF is behind the curve, slow, bloated, not modern at all.

soo i'm 3 years behind too ....... i still use xp and firefox and it's good to me.
I think it would be safe to say that you have not experienced the alternatives.
Fish: "Gorman has been chosen for admin. After a lengthy discussion we've all decided that Gorman is the best choice for the next admin."
Google Chrome OS will never be of use to me.
Chrome OS relies on the concept of an unlimited internet connection, and the ability to access it anywhere.

I live in the middle of nowhere, and as such, I have satellite internet through Gotsky/WildBlue. It sucks, I won't lie, but there's nothing else to do here.
Basically, I have a download limit of 12gb over 30 rolling days.
Moreover, if bad weather hits, I lose my connection.

If my internet is down, I can't afford for my computers to become completely useless, if all of my applications are cloud-based. I also have issues with keeping everything on the cloud, because people *have* figured out ways of installing packages onto the underlying system of Chrome OS (Some *nix, iirc).

Chrome OS is a novel concept, but Google should look at their concept before thinking that it will work for even people who spend lots of time online.
<DjPz> I don't expect to have sex with the dolphins every time I visit them
The Chrome OS isn't geared towards the larger market like Windows 7 and OSX. It is tailored specifically for users who have constant high-speed internet access and who want to use an OS that is lightweight and in terms of that demographic it will most likely be very successful.
Most people in the city are on the web constantly. I have a computer hooked up 24 hours a day doing something on the web.

As Onamist says, COS is for users who want a light weight form factor that they can carry around, whilst still maintaining power and function.

With the development of LTE soon to come to the masses we will see speeds over 80mb/s with a coverage similar to 3g. This will allow us to easily use COS anywhere (note: Australia has 98% coverage by 3g).