Toribash
Re: Toribash 2.0 Pre Order
To those who are whining:

Nothing in life is free. hampa has created an amazing game that I truely enjoy, and I have no problem paying for the time and effort he has invested in it.
Preordered the minute i was able to!

This is well worth the money Hampa, and make sure you protect the codes, encode the transmissions, hide the packets, secure everything as much as possible to prevent piracy. Don't release the server source to anyone. Have a master server where you have to auth with a valid username/password. Please do everything in your power to prevent it from ending up on warez-monkey programs like "eMule" and "Limewire".
WHY SHAREWARE?? why?, buy it? why?, thats shiti....

In my opinion, this game is not developed far enough yet to merit spending money on it. You are charging the same amount for the pre-order as it would cost to buy Ragdoll Kung-Fu, for a game less visually appealing than RKF. Sure, it's a cool system, but I don't want to pay for a physics system. Also, there is not enough mass appeal yet to make this a good idea. Toribash will die unless it develops further and gains a more large and loyal fanbase before it even considers charging a fee.
Many points agreed, and even more disagreed.

Di4gram is right though, in my opinion(too) it's still very early phase, however no matter how early phase, it's still a mass amount of work needed for it.

Alot of people don't seem to realize just how much work this kind of project will require.
What what? In the butt.
I'm not being negative. I'm just pointing out that from what I've seen site donations take in more money, which can be used to make the game even better! I'f I could buy it I would though
Originally Posted by slainveteran
btw, just so you guys know, the servers cost $300 / month, so paying is the only way to keep Toribash going!

Solution: add windows server support instead of making a half-done game shareware...
Don't get me wrong, i like the game, but i'm not willing to pay money for a game that is far from finished.
Call me when it is and i'll be happy to spend some cash on it.
2 things:
Windows server support is great, but you still need some official servers incase no one decides to run a server. You could run a central database with a link to all these servers, but you still need to pay for that, and the Toribash website.

Donations do NOT work. I ran a webhost for 9 months. It became popular, and the donation system was well advertised. I recieved a total of $0.00 from the donation system. The only reason people say they work, is because they do not want to pay, and they are betting someone else will donate so they dont have to!
I has a flavour
Originally Posted by Skjef
To those who are whining:

Nothing in life is free. hampa has created an amazing game that I truely enjoy, and I have no problem paying for the time and effort he has invested in it.

Whining? I'm warning him about making a horrible mistake. If you expect to make a succesfull game, it requires investment. Every game is like that. Don't you think that Blizzard put alot of money in WoW before it brought any return? If you ever expect to support or even profit from a game, you're going to have to either pay to have it hyped or pay to have people get hooked on it.

And for the record, people can host servers on their own. To remedy the problem of a central database, a free IRC channel could be set up to arrange IP matches.
well i guess this is it for this game and all gamers who loved it i cant believe u'd make it shareware Hampa thats low i mean real low sure this game has high standards but u just had to make it shareware so srry bout this but i speak for all the gamers of this game by saying bye hampa