Toribash
Original Post
Seems like a procrastination problem more than anything. I recommend the book "Getting things done" by David Allen. The premise is that you should use your mind to get things off your mind. It doesn't directly attack procrastination, but a clear mind is more motivated not to procrastinate, in my eyes.
oki, this is rare and epic!

first of all, what's the method of classes in your university? problem based learning or the classical one?

anyways, i just passed to my 4th year of medicine and well, i've failed once in my propaedeutic year due to procrastination lmao, and i had to add one more semester for that discipline *depressing vibes until now*

after that i still don't study a lot, i still watch animes and play games, but i haven't failed not even once since my prop year.. i've stepped up my game just enough to pass with above average grades with the minimum effort possible, cuz im lazy. Are you lazy?

what i'm trying to say is something you probably have heard a lot.

- "you have to study a lot, sacrifice a tons of bla bla".. smh, that's true.. every single guy will struggle in medicine in his first 2 years (hella of useless disciplines), if it ain't hard then you're doing something wrong.

to sum up, if you really want to get better, you have to be a little bit more creative in your studying methods and plan EVERYTHING.

my tips

1. read the recommended books - don't search your lessons on internet, only do that if you have read it in a book before

2. find your perfect time for studying - usually the time of the day were your mood is cool and no one will bother you

3. don't date highschool girls - seriously DON'T

4. ah, also study with pictures and real life models in case of human anatomy

6. get a life, have hobbies and whenever you get a new lesson kill that shit already or do a 2/1 hours session with small breaks when studying

7. don't get stressed when you're reading Robbins

8. or just bang your teachers and gg

the heck is sGPA and cGPA?
I'm a Verified Toricredits Seller & Marketeer!
Originally Posted by Dare View Post
I just finished my first semester as a freshman in Uni. I bombed my finals unfortunately.

You are literally 18 years old. You have another 7 semesters minimum before it's time to submit your final grades to med school, and the first one is easier than the rest. Just because its easier though doesn't mean you can't do better in the next ones.

Wait until Ochem and let us know if you still want to be a doctor after that. At uni there are weeder courses and they purposely make the average grade in those something like a C so that a majority of students fail or receive medschool destroying grades and are discouraged from continuing the premed track. Seriously at my university 25% failure rate for Ochem. That's every fourth kid.

I personally failed a class my first semester, and several more 2nd year and 3rd year but graduated in the end and got a job in the field I wanted which was aerospace engineering. My gpa was shit in the end and it really didn't matter because I didn't intend to do a masters or phd or med school. I only had to do 4 years and that was it. I can work in the field of my choice and my grades will be never be asked about again 3 years after university.

Anyways there are some 5000 premeds out of 20000 students at my university and a great majority of them switch because they don't make it. Don't forget once you finish your first 4 years you have another 8 after that. I had a friend that realized 9 more years of this shit in his 3rd year and had a mental breakdown switched to polisci and then his parents yelled at him until he switched back, and he decided to join a startup instead of med school after graduation. My brother switched from premed to speech therapy because its significantly easier and you're still in the medical field.

I also knew a dude that went to a top 3 Ivy league school got a 3.8 there and only got accepted to 2 of the 20 med schools he applied to. His sister went to UCLA got similar grades and didn't get into any med school.

If you're dead set on being a doctor there are always foreign universities which will accept you with shit tier grades but then getting a residency in the US will be a challenge.

Long story short, try your best, but chances are you won't make it if you already have to pull all nighters in your first semester and keep stressing it. If you do end up doing worse, switching out of premed is not the end of the world. It's never too late to join up engineering or any other major and save yourself some long term suffering lol.
🫷🦚🫸
Originally Posted by Dare View Post

I really dislike people like you with that negative attitude. You sound salty af. But thanks for your input. However, I do agree that I have 7 more semesters to improve.

1. Before you even try pre-med you should already know that it's a long road, if you don't know, than your not meant for medicine (As many people call it it's not a race it's a marathon)
2. I don't care about that ivy league student or UCLA sister. You obviously need good stats but that's not all there is to it. (mcat, volunteering, clinical exposure)
3. Many people get in with low stats. And even if you have everything perfect it just ends up being in having some luck in getting into any med school.
4. Why you so negative lmfao.

I agree there are weed out courses. My chem class I took first semester was one of them. My class went from 400 students to 75 students. I'm more than capable of getting good grades, I pulled all nighters and stressed out because I would study last second the night before the tests. Especially during finals week 5 exams, 5 all nighters studying all my subjects last second. My time management is terrible. But if fixed I would do a lot better and not choke on 3 of my finals. Like for instance, I taught one of my friends chemistry man finished with an A-. I finished with a lower grade since it was one of the classes i bombed the final on (tired af from all nighers).

At the end of the day I should just learn from what I did wrong and improve in the coming semesters. If you got any tips please post them, otherwise I find your post just useless...

No salt here, I graduated and got a job that I'm very happy with, I'm tellin you the way it is, a lot of people try their best and don't make it.Even people that seem like they should make it, which very well could be you. You need to keep yourself humble or college will do it for you. Ochem=/= regular chem. 1st semester=/= 5th semester. You don't have to believe me if you don't want to, its your life, and you'l see for your self a lot of people do not make it. It's negative but its also realistic. Maybe this post will scare you into trying harder or something idk. I'd love for you to prove me wrong, and for you to become a doctor. Lot's of people told me aerospace engineering wasn't for me and to give up, if you know what you want you'll do it regardless of what everyone thinks.

Here's my advice regarding classes that pretty much everyone will give you and nobody follows:

1. go to office hours suck up to your profs and do your homework
2. when I say do your homework I mean actually do it don't ask for answers don't look up answers don't bullshit the answers, do the problems learn and understand the material that way when it comes time for the exam you don't get fucked. I'm not sure how much memorization is required in your major but in mine it was almost none so this may be less applicable for those types of classes. In those you just memorize what needs to be memorized using whatever technique you need to use.
3. you clearly already do step 2 else you wouldn't have passed all your midterms. Just keep doing whatever you did for the midterms and you'll be fine. Get more sleep for your finals and don't cram it all in for the final. If you learned the material for the midterm, all finals I've ever taken have been cumulative, so its just the midterms plus a bit more. Usually 2 to 3 weeks of studying 2 hours a night before per class is enough. It's pretty hard to get those hours in towards the end though, so spread them out through the semester. If you can't and you have to cram, set it up so your cramming ends 8 hours before your exam and you get some sleep before the exam.
4. Go to any and all reviews hosted by your TA's and profs
5. Check the prereqs for med school and make sure you meet all of them, just because it says premed track at your school doesn't mean all your med schools will need just those classes, several require a couple additional ones. I know at my school anatomy isn't offered as part of the regular curriculum and you have to take it elsewhere online.
6. make meaningful connections with your fellow classmates. If you don't have friends a lot of classes become a lot more difficult then they need to be, sometimes you just can't do everything at once and you'll appreciate having someone you can lean on for help when you really need it.
7. You already said it do extra currics, you know whats good.

You already know all this shit though because you clearly read this stuff on other websites, got into uni and did fine in your classes. 3.5 is not a bad gpa just probably a bit lower than where you want to be for med school. Without
connections in life like being the nephew of the dean or a son of a big donor to the uni, you'll have to really receive top scores to get where you want to be. Those people are guaranteed a spot no matter what they do and you'll have to compete with everyone else for the remaining couple hundred slots.

you can also read this pessimistic article from Stanford to really let you know I ain't exaggerating:
https://www.stanforddaily.com/2017/0...-med-drop-out/

Originally Posted by url above
Go to any “What are my chances?” section on an online pre-medical forum and you’ll see these components ranked, bargained over and passive-aggressively displayed like MMORPG stats.

In spite of all this, there is still the very real possibility of rejection from every med school you spent $160 plus $38/school (not including the $0-150 secondary fees, and the $310 MCAT registration fee — of note, the AAMC recommends that you “maintain strong credit as you begin the medical school application process”) to apply for."

🫷🦚🫸
I graduated last year.

Can't give you specific advice on the pre-med ways, since in Europe we generally get into medical school when we're 18 and the course lasts for 6 years instead of the 4 in the US.

Exercise. Eat well. Stay healthy. This will seem all too obvious and hence easy to ignore until you're in the shitter, so make it a habit while things are still great.

If pre-med is anything like med school it's 100% about discipline and dedication.
Don't pull all nighters. The sheer number of hours you can sit down completely focused every single day will make it or break it.
Consistently work harder than everyone else, that's the deciding factor and it all boils down to it. Unfortunately there's no magic formula other than that.
We're still kids in buses longing to be free.
Fantastic job my dude. Chemistry wasn't easy for me, Microbiology was even harder. I don't envy anyway who has to look forward to taking o-chem. Let me know if you run into some patho questions that trip you up, I may be of help. Same with pharm.
Need help?
Creati0n says: still my favorite. <3
I sacrificed my firstborn for this great human being to join (M) ~R
Just Use Thunder!