Ranking
Original Post
Detroit Cops shoot and kill seven year old in botched search for suspect
http://detnews.com/article/20100516/...n-house-search

I'm horrified that the cops here in my city would do something like this...
and No, this isn't a troll thread. The cops here in Detroit are a decent bunch, it's the few bad cops here that make me ill.
Last edited by JoshGrimes; May 19, 2010 at 06:23 PM.
It was obviously accident, do you know how highly strung you would be if you were searching a house?
You walk in to a house that you think contains a murderer, someone who has killed before. You are in completely unfamiliar territory, you have no idea where they are, what they are going to do, what they are armed with, or even who else is in the house.

The cops went in, a probably quite disorientated woman tried to take an officers gun (or just walked in to him), in the confusion a bullet went off, it hit the girl.
Obviously the cop wasn't trying to hit the girl, it was just really bad luck.

The family are trying to turn it in to a witch hunt when there really isn't anything.

Back luck can happen anywhere, even in your city...
They need mor e info before starting a raid, theres a high risk of an ambush or accident if theres no info, this is just my opinion
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Even so Gorman, the cop should still be tried for manslaughter.

I really think that is excessive. It is an accepted risk that someone could be shot by accident. I am sure that there is a precedent that would support this anyway, so the case would be thrown out.

Besides, the woman should be tried if anyone...
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
It is an accepted risk that someone could be shot by accident.

and who else accepted this risk(..a part you,i mean)?
Last edited by bRuCiA; May 19, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Are you interested in my deactivated inventory?
Send a pm to Missuse for trade(NOT TO ME)
I really think that is excessive. It is an accepted risk that someone could be shot by accident. I am sure that there is a precedent that would support this anyway, so the case would be thrown out.

Manslaughter is the unintentional murder of another human. That cop killed another human unintentionally. Whether or not it's an 'accepted risk', the law still applies.
[doc]

It's also excessive to shoot and kill an innocent 7 year old kid.
I agree with you that it is a risk, but still, cops shouldn't follow the "Shoot first, ask questions later" motto.
They should've at least looked before they shot.
Even if the cops responsible for this were not tried under federal law, they should be put under some program (Perhaps, Sensitivity Training?).
I personally think the policemen should be tried for manslaughter.
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
Even so Gorman, the cop should still be tried for manslaughter.

I agree
it is necessary to think what they must be feeling those police, a great remorse, the police are human beings comment errors,
-::Always will fight for you, I'll be a knight in the stars trust.

Originally Posted by SilentAssassin View Post
It's also excessive to shoot and kill an innocent 7 year old kid.
I agree with you that it is a risk, but still, cops shouldn't follow the "Shoot first, ask questions later" motto.
They should've at least looked before they shot.
Even if the cops responsible for this were not tried under federal law, they should be put under some program (Perhaps, Sensitivity Training?).
I personally think the policemen should be tried for manslaughter.

That's not what happened.
The gun went off by accident. The officer wasn't aiming at the child or whatsoever, if you'd have read the article you would've known that the gun 'fired' when the woman collided with, attacked or whatever it was, the officer.

I would hardly even call this manslaughter, from the article atleast, it seems that it's not even the officer's fault at all. If someone gets manslaughter charges it should be the woman, she's the one responsible for the whole incident in the end. If she wouldn't have 'confronted' (eh wrong word but cant think of a better word) the officer, the gun wouldn't have gone off.

EDIT: Also, even if the cop shot deliberately, I can imagine it's very easy to fire a weapon out of instincts, subconsciously, when something pops out from a corner or something. If you've played a game with shock effects, you'll know this. (and yes I know you're not supposed to hold your finger on the trigger at all times, to prevent things like that)

Eh, I don't really blame the officer for something that isn't his fault. Also, think of the emotional scars the man has now, I pity him. He'll probably get tons of serious, gov't-funded, therapy sessions as well. Atleast, that's what would happen here.
Last edited by Mapleleaf; May 19, 2010 at 04:49 PM.