Ranking
The worlds biggest problems is borders. Imagine if there were no borders...

All these problems with war and famine, they are all products of us creating boundaries and saying "this is us, and this is them".

I mean, pretty much every country is home to muslims, jews, christians, budists, <insert religion here>, and yet I don't see many countries bombing themselves. Same thing with famine, I think you will find most countries have some sort of gov't support for poor people.

If we no borders, we would have no reason not to really help each other.

I have corrected your spelling. Boarders refers to college student who are staying on campus, in boarding houses. Borders refers to hypothetical divisions between countries or states (much like that of land property). ~m0o

I wonder why my iPhone told me that wasn't a real word
inb4 conspiracy theories
Last edited by Gorman; May 25, 2010 at 05:26 PM.
Are you interested in my deactivated inventory?
Send a pm to Missuse for trade(NOT TO ME)
Originally Posted by H4rl3quin View Post
The sun will eventually explode causing the earth to be vaporised.

In like 5 billion years...

I'm thinking atm it's global trade policy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Originally Posted by IceShadow View Post
Overpopulation is the real issue. World hunger happens to be a result of the vast amount of people we have inhabiting this planet. If we were down to 500m-1b people it wouldn't be that much of a problem. Although I am not advocating swift population reduction in the form of death, I do advocate lowering the fertility rate of the world. World hunger may be the result of the planet reaching its carring compacity of humans, not just poeple being greedy and not handing over food to Lesser Developed Countries.

agreed, the earth is WAYY!! over populated due to humans discovering new technologies to live longer than ever before. the natural balance of life has been disturbed, the 'pop over time' graph, is a natural curve upwards until it reaches equilibrium we as humans have over shot the equilibrium.

Nearly all countries can barely sustain their own source of food, and many must import more than they export, There is not enough land on earth to feed all 4/5bill of us efficiently.

a huge pop. reduction is technically needed to sustain life over a long period, but like what is happening (about to happen) with the baby boomers, there will be a large quantity of older retired people and not enough younger people to support them all......

merely my opinion
I type as I speak, with several commas and run on sentences, dont be hatin'.
Originally Posted by IceShadow View Post
Overpopulation is the real issue.

Agreed. Personally I think there should be a limit put on breeding relative to a couples potential benefit to society (Lower Class would have their maximum number of legal children reduced, Citizens of High IQ would have them increased). With this, in theory, provided adequate education, we will have a stronger basis by which to start inhabiting other places like Mars.

World war would be a way in which we can promote economic growth and reduce the population, however I believe that limiting breeding would be a more effective path (as I do not condone the luck factor in surviving a world war, nor the reduction of a lifespan).

But then we get to Human Rights and Political Correctness. Bah
Originally Posted by m0o View Post
Agreed. Personally I think there should be a limit put on breeding relative to a couples potential benefit to society (Lower Class would have their maximum number of legal children reduced, Citizens of High IQ would have them increased). With this, in theory, provided adequate education, we will have a stronger basis by which to start inhabiting other places like Mars.

World war would be a way in which we can promote economic growth and reduce the population, however I believe that limiting breeding would be a more effective path (as I do not condone the luck factor in surviving a world war, nor the reduction of a lifespan).

I see your point but I don't agree with it. In Australia, we are suffering from an aging population and a skills shortage. Needless to say that in 2020 it's been estimated that every 2 people will pay for 1 persons welfare, whereas atm it's 5 to 1. In Australia we are lacking those who aren't highly skilled and of high intelligence. Although you may disagree and say that there are plenty of idiots out there, despite that, if we had only those of a high IQ then we would either have a massive decrease in trades and low to zero skill jobs or we would just have really intelligent people working in McDonalds.

How would a world war promote economic growth?
Exports would decrease, inflationary expectations would skyrocket, real wages would decrease along with productivity and efficiency. Employment would increase at the beginning due to an increase in enlistments but overall employment would also plummet. If I am wrong then feel free to correct me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
How would a world war promote economic growth?
Exports would decrease, inflationary expectations would skyrocket, real wages would decrease along with productivity and efficiency. Employment would increase at the beginning due to an increase in enlistments but overall employment would also plummet. If I am wrong then feel free to correct me.

Most wars see great advances in technology and result in spending, which would promote economic growth and provide jobs (making weapons, filling in spots for those who are fighting, those who die). As part of the allied forces, it is unlikely that Australia would be defeated, and thus would be able to reap the rewards of the greater economies from the war.

Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
I see your point but I don't agree with it. In Australia, we are suffering from an aging population and a skills shortage. Needless to say that in 2020 it's been estimated that every 2 people will pay for 1 persons welfare, whereas atm it's 5 to 1. In Australia we are lacking those who aren't highly skilled and of high intelligence. Although you may disagree and say that there are plenty of idiots out there, despite that, if we had only those of a high IQ then we would either have a massive decrease in trades and low to zero skill jobs or we would just have really intelligent people working in McDonalds.

Australia is the exception rather than the rule, and is a hot place to immigrate to. By reducing the number of legal children worldwide, we will reduce the impact on crowding in australia based on immigration (which is a whole other issue all together).

Your point about trades is well made.

Nice post, brosef.
Most wars see great advances in technology and result in spending, which would promote economic growth and provide jobs (making weapons, filling in spots for those who are fighting, those who die).

Australia is the exception rather than the rule, and is a hot place to immigrate to. By reducing the number of legal children worldwide, we will reduce the impact on crowding in australia based on immigration (which is a whole other issue all together).

Your point about trades is well made.

Spending from consumers, investors or businesses?

The new technologies would only help after the war and in 2 ways:
1. If it was a fad technology i.e. iPods and other crazy new technologies that become almost worthless after a few years. This would increase spending etc.

2. If the new technology helped to increase efficiency then business costs would go down and thus prices would decrease, causing real wages to increase and standards of living to increase.

I think that even with a decrease in population, unless we wipe out 3rd world countries we will still have a huge problem.

China's average wages have increased dramatically, along with India's and so cheap labour will end up having to move to 3rd world countries, such as African countries, as China and India won't be able to produce at such a low cost and will probably have absolutely no absolute advantage and their exports will decrease dramatically. If we wipe out all of the African populous then there is more land and minerals available for the developed world. By this time we have hopefully fixed the climate, because who wants to go to the desert when it's like 3 degrees hotter than normal ALL THE TIME. I forgot where I was going with this but I don't want to delete it so yeah...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!

Gotta love unnecessary cockblocks that eventually just lead no-where productive.

The whole 'IQ life rank' thing is an interesting concept, but it would never work/isn't that great of a measurement. IQ isn't a literal measurement of how smart you are, but rather how fast you process information. I'm more leaning towards giving grants to those who contribute to society in a meaningful way, whether it be engineering of new space travel equipment, students studying fields such as astronomy/nanotechnology or chemistry. We've already filled up Earth, and there's no-where to go but up, so we need people who are trained in that field to progress society.

+2c
sugoi montogami, aniki.
Originally Posted by ZeroBeat View Post
Gotta love unnecessary cockblocks that eventually just lead no-where productive.

The whole 'IQ life rank' thing is an interesting concept, but it would never work/isn't that great of a measurement. IQ isn't a literal measurement of how smart you are, but rather how fast you process information. I'm more leaning towards giving grants to those who contribute to society in a meaningful way, whether it be engineering of new space travel equipment, students studying fields such as astronomy/nanotechnology or chemistry. We've already filled up Earth, and there's no-where to go but up, so we need people who are trained in that field to progress society.

+2c

You still fail to interpret what is meaningfully contributing to society. Nano-technicians are shit at building houses and I won't be asking the local chemist to fix my sink. You can't build an economy on highly educated and highly skilled people. This is partly why command economies just don't work. If there was a command economy that made all wages of all jobs the same then there would only be zero to low skilled workers. The same works in the opposite way to a highly educated and trained society in a market economy. In a market economy, those who are highly skilled tend to earn much more, but if everyone is of a high IQ and has the capabilities to become highly skilled and earn the highest wage then nobody will do the lower skilled jobs because they can achieve more, but we actually need those people. So culling the herd in order to have those who are of high intelligence is useless when there are no workers to build houses, do the plumbing, sweep the floors, do the gardening, take care of the elderly etc.

Also, progress society to what? How does one make society progress? Can society progress? If it can progress then what is the goal or overall outcome at the end?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!