Ranking
Originally Posted by NormalCitizen View Post
Just to prove a point.

Violent videogames make you desensitized to violence and death, and conditioned to brutally murdering another creature. Chances are, someone who plays gears of war all day is more likely to not be affected by the consequences of murder than someone who is a flower child.

And just because he feels his family is "consricting him" does not in any way give him the right to murder them in cold blood.

He murdered two innocent people, and you think he needs rehabilitation? For all we know, his mom told him to clean his room too many times, and that's what did it. The article says they were a very reknown and respected family. (They live in a damn gated community, he was not in a ghetto family abuse situation) If somebody walked into your house and killed your family, would you really want them to be "rehabilitated"?

People can snap at any time; just because he was normal, young, confused, and feels remorseful, that does not mean he is exempt for his crimes. I don't think you all understand the severity of capital murder. One of my friends had a friend, who always seemed normal, albeit a bit shy. One day he went to school with a magnum and shot 2 students (1 may have died I think). Just because somebody may have called him names.

I think the justice system is pathetic, I don't want a society of reformed criminals. It only sems fair that his life should end after ending the lives of a middle-aged woman and a young teenage girl. Eye for an eye policy.

Edit: Like I said before, the boy said "It didn't matter who I killed, I just felt like killing. Also because I hate the way people talk in negative tones" and "I didn't want them to feel pain, I wanted it to be over fast. It's like everything went wrong" He also said he shot his mom 4 times, and his sister twice.

Edit: Oh yeah, @Faint: If I didn't listen to the audio file, I wouldn't have commented.

No such studies exist which agree with your personal theory.

No one is saying he has the right to kill others.

Why shouldn't we help people rather than just locking them away forever? How does being in a ghetto family excuse murder?

People can't snap at any time. I have studied FACS enough to know that there are plenty of warning signs.

What country are you talking about? Eye for an eye is taking a 10,000 year step backwards.
Originally Posted by shooter190 View Post
http://soundcloud.com/christin-coyne...evans-911-call

What charges do you think he should face (If you believe that he SHOULD face charges at all)?

Do you think his actions were rational or irrational?

How do you think he feels now (Does he regret it or not)?

Or, you know, we could just talk about what we think as a total...

Spank his ass with a plank of nails and feed him to Siku. Little bastards. People will do anything these days. -.-
[10:19] <~Tim> Why the fuck not, I'm insane :D
[12:06] <~Tim> Frost-Dragon: I bet you're sexy
Originally Posted by Forgive View Post
But is it? I bet your answer would change on your life experiences. Seeing how you're a rehabilitation guy, I'd say nothing major has happened in your life where you'd want revenge. It's a blind guess really, but things might way in the favour of death penalty in your mind if say someone killed your family. A sisters boyfriend or what not. Would you still want this boy to get put in rehabilitation?

An eye for an eye would make everybody blind. Punishment serves no purposes except to enact revenge, a petty and base motivation. Rehabilitation is always the best solution. There's a stupid degeneration of the penal system where it has become less and less about rehabilitating criminals and more and more about punishing them. Punishment, even capital punishment, has been shown to be an ineffective deterrent for crime, and it serves absolutely no benefit, instead conditioning those punished into career criminals.

The average criminal will first check into prison in their teens and early 20s. Rehabilitation at this point is crucial, as the average individual in their early 20s does not have a fully developed brain. To punish them when they are not at their most stable mentally is just asking for future trouble from this individual. Instead, counselling and rehabilitation gives a chance at discovering why they made such a decision, and how to fix any mental or emotional trauma that may have caused such an action. A very small percentage of the population is a sociopath, the average criminal only has a slightly higher rate of sociopaths. The majority of them are forced into crime by desperation, or are mentally unstable in another way. And even then, sociopaths can be rehabilitated to become highly successful individuals. Some of the most successful individuals in business have a sociopathic personality.

Originally Posted by NormalCitizen View Post
Just to prove a point.

Violent videogames make you desensitized to violence and death, and conditioned to brutally murdering another creature. Chances are, someone who plays gears of war all day is more likely to not be affected by the consequences of murder than someone who is a flower child.

And just because he feels his family is "consricting him" does not in any way give him the right to murder them in cold blood.

He murdered two innocent people, and you think he needs rehabilitation? For all we know, his mom told him to clean his room too many times, and that's what did it. The article says they were a very reknown and respected family. (They live in a damn gated community, he was not in a ghetto family abuse situation) If somebody walked into your house and killed your family, would you really want them to be "rehabilitated"?

People can snap at any time; just because he was normal, young, confused, and feels remorseful, that does not mean he is exempt for his crimes. I don't think you all understand the severity of capital murder. One of my friends had a friend, who always seemed normal, albeit a bit shy. One day he went to school with a magnum and shot 2 students (1 may have died I think). Just because somebody may have called him names.

I think the justice system is pathetic, I don't want a society of reformed criminals. It only sems fair that his life should end after ending the lives of a middle-aged woman and a young teenage girl. Eye for an eye policy.

Edit: Like I said before, the boy said "It didn't matter who I killed, I just felt like killing. Also because I hate the way people talk in negative tones" and "I didn't want them to feel pain, I wanted it to be over fast. It's like everything went wrong" He also said he shot his mom 4 times, and his sister twice.

You're also desensitized to violence through violent movies, violent sports (i.e. the good ol' American past time, football), and violent actions in general.

And your statement is misleading. Is it violent video games increase a tendency towards violence, or is it people who have a tendency towards violence are attracted to violent video games. Or are the two correlated through a different variable not mentioned? Perhaps physical abuse is positively correlated with them. You can't claim causation without proof. There is certainly a correlation, but not so certainly causation. As an example, when a violent movie is released, violent crime actually decreased for when it's released and 3 hours afterwards. The reason being? Rather than violent movies causing violent action, which would cause a spike in violence after the movie ends and stayed consistent during the movies showing, violent movies took people who were predisposed to violent behavior off the streets to watch the movie. This explains the decrease in violent crime. There's also a decrease for 3 hours afterwards because not every violent person gets to see the movie upon release. Some have to wait for the second showing. After the 3 hours though, violent crime spikes again. Why? Because these people are now back on the street, and hyped up from the viewed violence, inspiring violent action. So rather than violent movies causing violent action among well adjusted individuals, it causes a spike in violent behavior among those predisposed to violent behavior.

I live in middle class, and I have absolutely nothing in my life to feel sad about. Yet I suffer from depression. It's not logical if you look at purely the environment. Instead, if you look at my genetics, my family is predisposed to anxiety disorders and substance abuse, which indicates a higher rate of depression in my family. He could very well have just been handed a poor set of genes which makes him predisposed to certain behaviors. Judging by his back and forth rhetoric between a need to kill, yet wanting it to be quick, with a perception of being constricted, he sounds mentally disturbed. This could have been caused by both environmental stressors, as he feels constricted, so something about his family's actions bothered him, and a possible gene mutation, which caused him to react and feel differently to how you might have reacted to the stimuli.

People don't snap. All evidence points towards a psychotic break being a gradual affair. In fact, almost all mental disorders are a gradual affair. Schizophrenia doesn't develop instantly, it happens gradually over years. The brain doesn't suddenly just change behaviors, it's a gradual change in the brain's structure which doesn't necessarily show outward signs of change until maybe months or years passed.

And again, an eye for an eye makes everybody blind.

And again, his recollection and reasoning for shooting indicates somebody who is mentally disturbed. He's not concrete with his reasoning, and he's clearly agitated.
nyan :3
Youtube Channel i sometimes post videos of other games
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post

I live in middle class, and I have absolutely nothing in my life to feel sad about. Yet I suffer from depression. It's not logical if you look at purely the environment. Instead, if you look at my genetics, my family is predisposed to anxiety disorders and substance abuse, which indicates a higher rate of depression in my family. He could very well have just been handed a poor set of genes which makes him predisposed to certain behaviors. Judging by his back and forth rhetoric between a need to kill, yet wanting it to be quick, with a perception of being constricted, he sounds mentally disturbed. This could have been caused by both environmental stressors, as he feels constricted, so something about his family's actions bothered him, and a possible gene mutation, which caused him to react and feel differently to how you might have reacted to the stimuli.

People don't snap. All evidence points towards a psychotic break being a gradual affair. In fact, almost all mental disorders are a gradual affair. Schizophrenia doesn't develop instantly, it happens gradually over years. The brain doesn't suddenly just change behaviors, it's a gradual change in the brain's structure which doesn't necessarily show outward signs of change until maybe months or years passed.

And again, an eye for an eye makes everybody blind.

And again, his recollection and reasoning for shooting indicates somebody who is mentally disturbed. He's not concrete with his reasoning, and he's clearly agitated.

I agree that there is probably something with his brain.He might have been abused by his parents, but I don't have information about that.He just said "I don't like how people talk to each other" or something like that.Maybe he was in a bad mental state too.I'm not against his rehabilitation, everything can be fixed to a certain point.But one begs the question.Would you ever trust him enough to fully release him out of jail?His life is changed no matter what the actions, I doubt anyone would trust him after this incident which kinda of sucks.
Your messed up world enthrills me
Killing his sister and mother and then calling the police sounding so calm.. Where'd he get the .22 revolver anyways?
Originally Posted by Faint View Post
I agree with you completely. He doesn't need to be thrown into the prison life or anything like that, he needs psychological rehabilitation and a lot of mental help.

I agree, throwing him in prison wouldn't be the right thing to do. He obviously has mental issues because nobody would kill their family like he did. It's quite obvious that he regrets doing what he did due to the fact that he was in a shocked state (you could tell he was if you listened to his tone of voice during the conversation). Definatley not a death penalty, lol.
I think it's punishment enough the consequences of the killing, because it wasn't his fault. He was not sane.
oh yeah
Originally Posted by Forgive View Post
I cannot argue with the first bit, pitting opinion against opinion is senseless. I do however, have a unpopular opinion in the sense why not just kill off all of those mentally ill? Sure it's inhumane to kill (by law) but why shouldn't we be able to make our community stronger, more intelligent? I don't want a spiel about morals, or how it makes the world a more enriched place, so to speak. Why not kill this boy, who apparently to most seem to suffer from some kind of illness? Be it age? By 17 you should know your rights from wrong.

Because we're trying our best to be humans. The community would not get stronger, nor more intelligent. The mentally ill aren't exactly stupid, their brain just doesn't function exactly as it should. John Forbes Nash being my main example. I'd also argue Einstein was autistic based on several facts about his childhood. The mentally ill aren't exactly bad people, nor are they stupid, in fact, i'm pretty sure every savant is much more intelligent than you can ever hope to be.

Ever heard of Kim Peek?

Leslie Lemke?

Think I've proved my point. Everyone has something to offer to society, and killing people IS wrong because ethics and morals are involved in society no matter how much you like to think they're relative. In order to prevent what'll be a bad argument against this, please read the following:

List o' fallacies.

Avoid making fallacies.
Hoss.
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Because we're trying our best to be humans. The community would not get stronger, nor more intelligent. The mentally ill aren't exactly stupid, their brain just doesn't function exactly as it should. John Forbes Nash being my main example. I'd also argue Einstein was autistic based on several facts about his childhood. The mentally ill aren't exactly bad people, nor are they stupid, in fact, i'm pretty sure every savant is much more intelligent than you can ever hope to be.

Ever heard of Kim Peek?

Leslie Lemke?

Think I've proved my point. Everyone has something to offer to society, and killing people IS wrong because ethics and morals are involved in society no matter how much you like to think they're relative. In order to prevent what'll be a bad argument against this, please read the following:

List o' fallacies.

Avoid making fallacies.

You forgot the obvious one! Stephen Hawking! The Spartans would have left him out to die at birth.

I guess it all depends what you value in society.

Killing everyone under mean intelligence would raise the average intelligence - by definition.
Last edited by ImmortalCow; Oct 9, 2012 at 06:08 PM.
@Oracle: I didn't say violent media caused violence, I said it desensitizes us. Same with watching snuff films; it tends to desenstize the "Horrible" feelings of violence. I didn't say it makes you act more violent. Let's say this kid did have major mental problems or a bad set of genes; if he ever thought "What would it be like to kill?" and watched snuff films all day, it would make him more numb to the horrible anxiety of killing an innocent.

And about my last statement: I honestly do not want to live in a society where a decent percent of the population has been convicted of capital murder. This kid is so insignificant, his life has no value to a starving child in africa. (Neither does ours, unless we donate or help them in some way) Killing him or locking him up forever only seems fair. A lot of killers feel remorseful after they kill (Not the crazy ones, just the violent ones) He may have had bad genes and/or a brain disorder, but that doesn't make it okay. He wasn't retarded, he wasn't handicapped, and he didn't have a logical reason to kill. He does not deserve to get off easy; he was not a scared 6-year-old child, he was 17, and fully aware of the consequences of murder before he attemped it. (Maybe not during it, but he should be smarter than that)

I don't want him getting out of prison and living next door to me. He should face at ABSOLUTE LEAST 15 years just to teach him that nobody condones his crimes.

One more thing: If he killed you, and your family member, would you really want him to get off easy because "oh he was sooo scared and he feels bad OMG poor baby! D:"
Last edited by NormalCitizen; Oct 9, 2012 at 06:23 PM.