Ranking
Original Post
A rather large CPU problem
So a while back i destroyed my processor by taking it out and accidentally bending the pins.
Long story short it's totaled and i took it to a pc repair shop, he told me what i already knew and said to go ahead and to try to find one online.

So i've been looking for the past 2 hours with no results. The main problem is my motherboard socket type is an AM2 and i cannot find a cpu that is socket type AM2. I can only find AM3's.

Now i have heard that AM# cpu's are backwards compatibly meaning that they can work on AM@ motherboards, thing is you need a BIOS update on your motherboard from it's manufacture for it to work.

So you can see i am in a bind and i don't know what to do. I have no clue where to find the BIOS updates or whether An AM3 cpu really does fit an AM2 motherboard.
I need some major help here because i really miss my pc :<

Specs:
motherboard: pegatron m2n78-la Socket AM2
CPU: AMD Athlon II x4 620 quad core Socket AM (i guess that's what it was, not sure)

Tl;dr
I can't find the right processor to fit my motherboard.
You could actually buy an AM2 Motherboard on a computer shop.
After that, you just put your CPU(Processor) in to the motherboard.
But if it doesn't work, you could download MOBO updates on their manufacturer website.
Definitely not Josh Lintag
It's the other way round GLaD0S, he needs a new CPU.

Doxxy, to be honest I think you should ditch the AM2 board, they are old and outdated, the longer you leave it the harder it will be to upgrade or repair (as you have discovered.) I would suggest you pick up a Gigabyte mobo for 100$, that should do everything you want. Then go grab a decent CPU (You could get the same one but AM3 for ~60$ if I remember correctly.) and put that in. It's not worth it in my opinion.
Originally Posted by sireal View Post
It's the other way round GLaD0S, he needs a new CPU.

Doxxy, to be honest I think you should ditch the AM2 board, they are old and outdated, the longer you leave it the harder it will be to upgrade or repair (as you have discovered.) I would suggest you pick up a Gigabyte mobo for 100$, that should do everything you want. Then go grab a decent CPU (You could get the same one but AM3 for ~60$ if I remember correctly.) and put that in. It's not worth it in my opinion.

Okay, but if i did that wouldn't it erase my hard drive? I have the product key for my os (which is windows 7), but i realllly don't want to lose whats on my hard drive.
AM2 is old tech, finding a AM2 would be difficult at best.
as for backwards compatability, im not sure, i thought an AM3 board could use an AM2 cpu, but not the other way round.
besides, a AM2 board would bottleneck an AM3 like crazy, wouldnt be worth it.

if you're considering getting a new board and cpu, you dont need to go AM3, just get what you can for your price range, 100$ for a board is mid range/new tech, pretty sure you could get a low spec AM3/i3 setup for a fair bit less than that.
but if you're running an AM2 setup atm, you might wanna considerslowly upgrading the bits and pieces, and a few extra $ on the motherboard might not hurt, onboard gfx cards are pretty decent nowday

you shouldnt need to format your hdd for a hardware change.
Last edited by BenDover; Apr 13, 2012 at 05:37 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
http://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=C...&q=amd+6000%2B

it's not hard to find you just have to know what to look for, instead of searching "am2 cpu" or something like that i searched for amd 6000+ because i knew it was an am2 processor.

i agree with bendover though in that you should switch to am3 for a more cost efficient upgrade
You don't say?