Ranking
Wushu has no dojo, no grabs, and low gravity. It's very easy to hit and run, and in a competition that would be especially frustrating. However, one very similar mod I think lends itself to competitions is boxshu. It's much harder to run in a fairly small confined space.

PS: I know this is somewhat off-topic but this dependence on points and the running it encourages in no-grab mods is also why I suggested alternative victory conditions here: http://forum.toribash.com/showthread.php?t=496127 Making it so you can't win unless you fracture/dismember your opponent would remove incentive to run.
Ye, I have also suggested something like that one in the mod section. In my version players have to reach a certain amount of points to win and the first who reaches wins the game.
But honestly I dont even dream on seeing something like these suggestions coming true in 5.0.
"Why?"
I won't dwell on it being not really competitive but just about everyone has already said that.

There are some variants which could be considered competitive like boxshu or just simply adding a dojo.

Rk-mma is sort of similar and considered a very competitive mod. Make some small tweaks to it and it can be very competitive.

But all mods have a learning curve, of course you need to beat the mod before you can beat your opponent. This is absolutely no different to say - aikido or judo. Wushu is just a mod.

So dwell on that, maybe make your own mod and try to make your own event - doesn't need to be huge but if you get even a few people interested in wushu isn't that a success you can build on? You can pm me for help with planning. I'd recommend Trello.com to put together a to-do list and challonge.com should you need a tournament bracket.
Last edited by Zelda; Apr 20, 2015 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Makes sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[4:37 PM] ponf: y'all might think i'm not wild enough to send dick pics over toribash
[4:37 PM] ponf: you'd be wrong
uwu i wuv you uwu
I play Wushu quite a lot. There should be more lobbies that include Wushu. I wouldn't say its the most popular mod. For Aikido and ABD are the most played mods (im pretty sure)

"Dear reader, I hope this email finds you before I do."
better try to promote score point based versions of wushu and other nograb mods, i have no energy for it these days
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by Uncas23 View Post
People on the forum and in community portals in general totally ignore wushu

What is your opinion about this topic?

The topic whether or not it's a competitive mod has been addressed quite well by users already, but there is one thing I can agree with in the original post, and it is that wushu pretty much has been pushed out of rotation as the ultimate rooms were removed.

As powas mentioned much of it's userbase back when we progressed from wushu_pro to brushu have left the community, and today the support for it seems to have been removed due to the lack of interest in the mod, and general decline of users overall.

However, as I have argued before, the best way to keep this segment of the game alive has always been and will always be the way of QI restriction, as this tends to sort out the new players from the experienced ones. Now why is this good? Comebacks. It takes time to master and adapt this aspect of wushu, and as seen in the public wushu rooms the frequency of hit and run, or hit and tripod, is much higher than we had in the 8th dan blackbelt rooms and higher as far as I remember.

EDIT: Tho', I would like to add; the hate we spewed towards openers were unjustified. Openers were as many of us have mentioned one of the best ways to get a hold of the mods that fall under the 50 frames based fraqfest category. A resurgence in popularity may arise with new generations, and if such a thing should come to true, the vast majority of the experienced players will have to accept the resurgence of openers as well. I find them impacting the higher levels of the mod in a negative way as it pretty much turns into a competition of making the best openers and studying your opponent, and also leads to people right-out copying each-others openers. But this has always been a fine line that the player-base have will have to accept.
Last edited by Smogard49; Apr 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Addition!
Now doing recoloring for people not in the clan as-well, PM for more info!
PROUD OWNER OF THORN'S GOOD ENOUGH WRITER AWARD!
Ahhhhhhh Wushu... it is and will always be my favorite mod, the freedom and possibilities are just endless. The only viable reproach I've read over the years on the forums is that it's way to easy to run from your opponent in a game played "for the win", and I do agree.

I've been hoping for a "first players to X points wins" -as Odlov suggested on the top of this page- for years, that would totally kill running since players would be forced to engage the fight to score and reach the goal.

But for now we don't have that feature, so it's up to us to shape the rules and meta-game of wushu to make running more difficult and turn the mod into something that's more "competition friendly". With that perspective, I recently made a mod called wushu_2015.tbm, featuring a dojo and a better distribution of points on the Toris.

Adding a dojo is something that has been controversial inside the wushu community ; some people think it removes some of the "freedom" that defines wushu. I personnaly think it's a mandatory evolution if we ever want to see Wushu played more often in events and competition.
Why ?
It keeps people from running in a straight line, and makes running more dangerous as getting closer from the edge of the dojo gives the possibility to your opponent to push you out more easily. Players tend to percieve space differently with the dojo, trying to stay in the center to avoid uncomfortable positions, which generally tends to give some more "action packed" fights with more encounters/hits than what we can see in wushu without dojo.
It also requires the players to be more subtle to deal with the light gravity : pushing too hard on a comeback or hitting with mindless force and no good rooting might send you out, it puts an emphasis on the control needed to play the mod, when those bad mistakes just went unpunished without dojo.

Now the points... I've been witnessing some pretty random and weird stuff when it comes to scoring points in wushu (wrist glitch, ultra high damage limb hits and such...), so I tried to fix it the hard way. I've modified the distribution of points to emphasise the need to aim certain parts of the body to score a meaningful amount of points and lowered the damage inflicted to limbs and extremities by A LOT. See that picture.
Players need to aim for the central line and its extremities to score high, they can also use their limbs more effectively to defend their central line.
Wrist, Ankles and Forearms do not receive points anymore, just like fists/feet/elbows/knees always have. It makes blocking with your arm a bit easier and it prevents getting a foot stuck in the wirst/ankles scoring insane points.
Overhaul, the "crabbing" playstyle (camping with contracted knee and waiting for your adversary) gets some serious nerf as putting your groin first is dangerous and crab attacks are very likely to touch the other player's legs and score very low points. Also, blocking becomes a more viable options with elbow/forearms/wrists/fists, it encourages the players to try something else than camping with their legs in front of them and dare some movement.

I've asked some GM to use the mod for official wushu rooms, but no answer yet, I don't think they care anyway D:

I encourage everyone with any interest in wushu to try it, we've been playing it with some oldies and I think I can speak for everyone I've played with and say it's been enjoyable.

__________________________________________________ ____

To get back on the dojo. I do like boxshu as it's fun to play, but skill wise it's worse than the dojo as it does not penalize mistakes at all, walls are like a safety net that keeps players from paying for their mistakes. It creates some pretty fun replays tho.

Edit : some replays, cause wushu is fackin beautiful and replays speak louder than words. I've hundreds where they came from, I poop wushu sexyness erifukinday.
Attached Files
04 18 2.rpl (85.7 KB, 11 views)
04 19 2.rpl (125.7 KB, 7 views)
odlov 1.rpl (88.2 KB, 10 views)
04 12 2 .rpl (116.4 KB, 7 views)
coll 04 10 6.rpl (143.5 KB, 8 views)
Last edited by deprav; Apr 23, 2015 at 05:55 PM.
Nice mod and nice replays. As i saw with this dojo there were also some nice buzzer moments dancing near the edge. Which is another good thing that no dojo wushu kinda lacked (?).
"Why?"
I think that it is because some players can't control their direction
This waste time and it turn to be boring also.
And other players use rushes and just go away to win.
-------------------------
Fire Fire !!!!!!!!!! Burn it up!
Ignorance is more like not knowing of something rather then not publicizing something. And it's obvious that people know about wushu, because so many people play it. I feel that it should stay as more of a leasure mod simply due to the fact that the gameplay is - not necessarily unpredictable but - one sided. Any mod that allows you to completely destroy an opponent with one move has no place in competitive events. Unlike other mods such as aikido and tk, wushu is no were near as complex and strategic. A noob can literally demolish a skilled veteran by button smashing (something I see a lot of), which shows that there's very few chances to turn the tide or actually implement any sort of strategy at all. Personally, I don't want my money and reputation in the hands of two turns and an opener. Just want to let you know that I'm not here to make you feel stupid. As you asked, this is my opinion on said topic.
Last edited by BeanSprout; May 15, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
...Surely you have more productive things to do then read my stupid signature...[TA]|[TF]