Toribash
Original Post
Hold versus Relax.
Hello there, I've come to ask the benefits of both hold and relax styles of fighting. I tend to use hold for more controlled movements and attacks, yet, some have called my movements "nooby". I don't see what the bad side is to using a simple move if the outcome is great (Hence, more damage). But people say it is more skillful to use relaxed styles. So I tried using relax and it was way more unbalanced and weak. Meaning, when I tried to get a hit with relax, using the same sort of movement as I would use with hold, it would cause less damage to the opponent. Can anyone fill in the benefits to both styles?\

Addition: The game mode I'm looking into is wushu.
Last edited by Gateway_old; Jun 23, 2010 at 05:30 AM.
Relaxing is just looked up upon by more users because it's more "pro" apparently from what I know. But I feel that also using hold isn't bad if you know how to do it right. It's still good to relax once you know how to properly do it, it's makes your tori move much faster than holding all and more momentum from speed can help putting more power into your attacks.
Originally Posted by Gbleek View Post
Relaxing is just looked up upon by more users because it's more "pro" apparently from what I know. But I feel that also using hold isn't bad if you know how to do it right. It's still good to relax once you know how to properly do it, it's makes your tori move much faster than holding all and more momentum from speed can help putting more power into your attacks.

I can move pretty quickly with hold. More so than relax in my case.
well this is how i see it, when i use relax to start a fight. it makes me more able to be reflexive and move out of the way of the other persons move and by the 2nd or 3rd frame just about all of my joints are ether contract or extend and it makes it just like i was holding to begin with but i used relax
relax allows you to flow more freely than hold
and relax (if using correctly) will inflict more force and damage
using hold on the other hand is stiff. when you get better at the game though you definatly want to relax a lot more than you hold
A dueler is only a good as his finest lift.

I love many people on this forum such as ...
Uric|Internet|Stellar|Wesley|Boonana|AJ|FireBolty|iRookie|Brucia|Kristis133|Liquidoom|Lightningkid
[type=noob]monk[noob]
I respect...
Originally Posted by Dr0pK1ck View Post
relax allows you to flow more freely than hold
and relax (if using correctly) will inflict more force and damage
using hold on the other hand is stiff. when you get better at the game though you definatly want to relax a lot more than you hold

Why's that? You can flow pretty well with hold. I'm not talking straight up hold, contract, extend. That would be dull. Relaxing some joints is still in the mix.
here are two replays both exactly the same joints clicked exactly the same settings the only differnce is clicking c at beggining and not

see how relax is faster and stronger
Attached Files
relaxed.rpl (11.0 KB, 18 views)
held.rpl (5.6 KB, 16 views)
A dueler is only a good as his finest lift.

I love many people on this forum such as ...
Uric|Internet|Stellar|Wesley|Boonana|AJ|FireBolty|iRookie|Brucia|Kristis133|Liquidoom|Lightningkid
[type=noob]monk[noob]
I respect...