Toribash
Original Post
Perspective
In perspective, our squabbles and our hardships are minute, while our victories and our accomplishments, in the same vein, are tremendous
I fucking love Carl Sagan, thanks for posting this bit of epic.
Organisation of Awesome: Member.
more serious than rapid threads i guess...

normally when i post stuff about carl sagan in other forums theres a umm a lot more religion-oriented bashing.

guess i underestimated the thinking here
With some luck, and within 5 years, we will be on Mars, within 100 years hopefully a lot more than that.

The future is very exciting, and unimaginable. I can't wait.
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post
With some luck, and within 5 years, we will be on Mars, within 100 years hopefully a lot more than that.

Dunno where you're getting that idea, but we're far, far away from getting men on Mars.

Unless you're talking about probes, which we've already done.
back from the dead
I love Sagan, but as others have pointed out: you haven't really outlined the topic to discuss.

We could talk about our current insignificance in the universe, but eh...no one can really dispute it without alluding to some wild unsupported hypotheses.
Originally Posted by Gorman View Post

The future is very exciting, and unimaginable. I can't wait.

And within two we'll be dead... That's if the Mayans were correct.

Or is Isaac Newton correct with 2060...

The human race is a stubborn one, I'd like to imagine that in five years time we could terraform Mars but that's far out of speculation. Maybe in 100 years.

Nuclear warfare here I come.

I love my insignificance on an insignificant speck in the insignificant galaxy in the all-mighty universe. Let's dwell upon the fact that we're alien to ourselves.
"We are the music-makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."
Arthur William Edgar O'Shaughnessy
Originally Posted by Oyster View Post
Dunno where you're getting that idea, but we're far, far away from getting men on Mars.

Unless you're talking about probes, which we've already done.

I mean manned missions. NASA has plans for a permanent base on mars by 2020, so I figure that they will want to send a manned mission before that...

Hopefully there will be a world war soon so we can get some faster tech, but whatever, Ill be happy if the US just buffs NASAs budget a little. I heard they have less than 60% of the budget needed to complete their prospective projects, laaame.

Originally Posted by Manxie View Post
I'd like to imagine that in five years time we could terraform Mars but that's far out of speculation. Maybe in 100 years.

We have the tech required to terraform, but I doubt we could pull it off on such a large scale without an insane amount of cash.