Toribash
Original Post
Money doesn't bring happiness?
Since long time ago, many people have been saying this statement, which is "money doesn't bring happiness", but is that really the case?

Most people that tend to say this usually have stable income that is above minimum wage, and their main argument is "there are many millionaires that are unhappy with their lives even with all that money", but does that prove anything?

In my opinion, money is not equal happiness, but without money obtaining happiness is much harder than with stable income. People who work from 9 to 5 every day usually can't be happy, because their main focus is work, which allows no time for such things as entertainment, relationship, etc.

Feel free to discuss this subject, I'm really curious as to what the rest of the community thinks about it.
Last edited by Smaguris; May 17, 2017 at 01:22 PM.
I think you have to understand that in life you have to take everything like a grain of sand. People try to take things all at once. Not having a stable income and not being happy are because of people being over burdened. You have to take things one step at a time. People try to take two steps at a time and slip and fall. Have to go one step and keep your footing and keep going. Money may make happiness easier, but the happiness you can buy with money is only temporary, since those come and go. Love is something that can stay, so getting a family that loves themselves, can work things out. Materialistic things don't last forever. A memory does. ^_^

If you pick a job you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life. If you honestly try, you can't go wrong. Even if you don't succeed, you have to keep trying. No matter how many times you try. Remember, most people give up right before they're almost there.

Also, optimism is finding what no one else can in a hard time, hope. I am a rather sanguine person myself I must admit.
Originally Posted by MrMiyagy View Post
I think you have to understand that in life you have to take everything like a grain of sand. People try to take things all at once. Not having a stable income and not being happy are because of people being over burdened. You have to take things one step at a time. People try to take two steps at a time and slip and fall. Have to go one step and keep your footing and keep going. Money may make happiness easier, but the happiness you can buy with money is only temporary, since those come and go. Love is something that can stay, so getting a family that loves themselves, can work things out. Materialistic things don't last forever. A memory does. ^_^

That's true for the most part, but who can find more time for family and love, a person that spends 70% of his day working or a person with 100k in his bank account?
When you take everything into account, being non-materialistic is almost impossible, and focusing entirely on happiness will only land you on the streets most of the time.

Originally Posted by MrMiyagy View Post
If you pick a job you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life. If you honestly try, you can't go wrong. Even if you don't succeed, you have to keep trying. No matter how many times you try. Remember, most people give up right before they're almost there.

This deserves a discussion on its own, but this statement is also not entirely true. You might love the field that you get into, but until you learn everything required for working in it, it will be very hard work, and only after years you can get to the point where you enjoy your work, because only then you have enough knowledge where you could find the work enjoying.
I'm not saying to be non-materialistic. Also, of you're working all the time that's fine. When it comes to family, the love doesn't really need to be worked on. Family should just love family, although it doesn't always happen like that, but still. Besides, having a family to support you, that supports you, you can't go wrong with that, but I see what your saying. With the learning. Learning can be boring, but if you enjoy it, maybe you'll like learning it.
Money is a tool that serves the purpose of exchanging wares more easily.
Money will not make you happy just as a screwdriver won't.

What you do with that screwdriver may make you or someone else happy though.
How are you?
I'm from a pretty wealthy family, and honestly money never brought any of us happiness. Sure, it makes our lives easier, but I know that having a bunch of zeroes in a bank, an absent family, and a big empty house never made me happier than my friends who, although not rich, can actually "live their lives", if that makes sense. You know, entertainment, relationships, spending time with your family...
Let's all be fucking real
Money can bring happiness

Dont act all nice and edgy
We all know that
-----
Oh and btw miyagy

"If you pick a job you enjoy, you'll never work a day in your life."

If you do something you enjoy for a living means you have to keep doing it for income
Which means you have to do it until you are satisfied with your money
And that is mostly a long time

Which means you will probably get bored of it someday
And it's a lot deeper if it's something like art or music or something along those lines
All those people saying "I love my job and I'll never get bored of it"
Is all edgy bullshit
Last edited by Sunther; May 20, 2017 at 03:12 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump

SOMTHING NEW SOMETHING NEW

Alright, here's the thing.
Money does buy happiness, but not the long-term contentedness that you'd expect. The only happiness you get is temporary.

Look into this. and this.

TLDR; Money does make you happy, but only to a point of diminishing returns.

One more thing. Let's say you buy a big house/great car.

For the few weeks, or even a month, you'll be ecstatic. After that? Not so much. Because it's become the new normal.
Depends on the kind of person you are.

The concept that money would buy you happiness comes from a need to have a lot of things. If you think that having whatever you want would make you happy, then sure.

Having enough money to live is one thing, but just being able to survive doesn't really make most people happy I'd say.

Been pretty successful so far, and since I have money I'm capable of getting equipment and tools for my art, and my art makes me happy.

So it's a little complicated, but I really don't think it's made me a happier person.

Also, in regards to Sunther's comment. Been practicing my art for about 14 years now, been doing it professionally for something like 5-6. Not tired of it yet, very much doubt I ever will be.

Not sure what you meant by art or music being deeper, but yeah.
if you get something you want , your happy
how did you get that thing? by using money

therefore
money=happiness