Toribash
Original Post
Multiplayer single person games
So when I collab with friends, it's always a pain to send back and forth, back and forth. So, I thought there should be an option for all players except one be spectated in a game, and that one person fights uke (like singleplayer). But the difference is that people can talk and CnC while the replay is being made.

Also, people in the spectator chat could request to do a part of the replay, and the person that was previously playing gets a notification, and can accept or deny it, and if accepted, gets put in spectate.

Good or bad idea? Let me know!
Last edited by Spirals; Oct 11, 2014 at 07:56 AM.
Also known as CombatBot
It might be cool if betting, tc, qi, duels and a ton of features were disabled to prevent exploits.

It would be easier to just send the replay to a friend and have them watch via stream/skype, then tell them which frame to continue from, multiplayer was meant for player vs player matches.
the only issue with the stream/skype communication is that there's usually quite a bit of lag on skype and a lot of people dont have computers capable of streaming at least 30fps video while running the game
Your thinking well it could work except for one major thing

No one not even saintowar, leilak or numbers makes a complete replay on their first try, they need to do a lot of editing. Showing the editing stage would be nigh impossible and I honestly don't think someone would want to watch that part

There is also the matter if turnframes, turn frames are default for any multiplayer server
oxisudofrenohypoglycemolicodin
Originally Posted by d3noth View Post

No one not even saintowar, leilak or numbers makes a complete replay on their first try, they need to do a lot of editing. Showing the editing stage would be nigh impossible and I honestly don't think someone would want to watch that part

There is also the matter if turnframes, turn frames are default for any multiplayer server

Have you actually talked to any of them about that or is it a guess?
I don't like military time, I prefer metric or imperial.
So, essentially, you want a command or game mode where you can play single player, but also have people in the room with you, watching. They'd send you a request that you can accept, and then they can play.

I like this idea, but I have some suggestions.

Make it so that when you give someone control of the replay, you set how long they can do it for (for example, 200 frames), or whenever the original replay maker wants them to stop. After the person meets the 200 frames, the original replay maker is given a notification that asks if they want to begin editing again. They can either extend the period upon request of the other person, or accept the replay back and continue. This way, you won't end up giving somebody 100 frames, only for them to complete the next 600.

Then, would you be able to go back and edit the end of your partners section to fit your needs? That question needs to be answered.

Originally Posted by thebaddas View Post
Have you actually talked to any of them about that or is it a guess?

Editing would need to be a part of this feature. I have never made a replay without editing. It might be a guess, but it's probably the most accurate guess ever made in Toribash.

I've never done a collab before, and I wouldn't personally use this feature, but I know that there's plenty of people who would want it implemented.
Co-leader of Nitro | Replays
Originally Posted by d3noth View Post

People make replays on their first try, it's simply very rare because a lot of people aim for perfection which takes time.

Either way, if you want to make a good collab replay, you wouldn't force the other person to stream while making it which could make them lag and impede their performance.
It's not that annoying to send a replay back and forth a couple times unless your internet up/dl speed is riduclously low. It's not like your going to be sending them back and forth every 10 frames are you?
another thing, sp replay making has a large amount of editing most of the time, and takes a long time. Syncing the constant changes would be very laggy because that means updating the replay live. Downloading the constantly changing replay would be a strain on some people's internets, not to mention, the part where you could possibly be sending that replay to 20 different people all at the same time depending on server size. What's wrong with using skype and talking to them while making it, or using a dropbox.

Also, explain how you would fix lag, seeing as how this would be a whorehouse for lag.
Originally Posted by Trollzor99 View Post
People make replays on their first try, it's simply very rare because a lot of people aim for perfection which takes time.

Either way, if you want to make a good collab replay, you wouldn't force the other person to stream while making it which could make them lag and impede their performance.
It's not that annoying to send a replay back and forth a couple times unless your internet up/dl speed is riduclously low. It's not like your going to be sending them back and forth every 10 frames are you?
another thing, sp replay making has a large amount of editing most of the time, and takes a long time. Syncing the constant changes would be very laggy because that means updating the replay live. Downloading the constantly changing replay would be a strain on some people's internets, not to mention, the part where you could possibly be sending that replay to 20 different people all at the same time depending on server size. What's wrong with using skype and talking to them while making it, or using a dropbox.

Also, explain how you would fix lag, seeing as how this would be a whorehouse for lag.

I you choose to use this you shouldn't have alot of lag because you would know it wouldnt work well for you
I don't like military time, I prefer metric or imperial.
That'd be a cool way to collab on a replay, nice idea.
The past makes you wanna die out of regret, and future makes you depressed out of anxiety. So by elimination, the present is likely the happiest time.
Originally Posted by thebaddas View Post
I you choose to use this you shouldn't have alot of lag because you would know it wouldnt work well for you

Not at all.
Lag would vary depending on how many people were spectating the match.
You've essentially created metaphorical waves.