ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
Internet Persona
I've recently been thinking about the people that I meet online, whether it be from the Toribash forums, a game of some sort or even on Facebook and have wondered whether these people act the same in their everyday lives and whether they are as out going or as cool as I find them to bee online. Perhaps they are shy, but become more relaxed when they talk from the protection of their home and computer.

I want to know whether you think that people and more so yourselves, display an online persona that is different to their or your own personality that is displayed in real life encounters.

I also would like to know whether you think that if you met some of your online friends in real life that you would find them to be different or seemingly out of character in comparison to their online persona. Those who have met or do personally know people that are also members here or at another forum would have a greater insight into this matter and thus your input will be greatly appreciated.

I personally am unsure about certain individuals, thinking them to be shy or socially awkward in real life but because of the silly nature of most conversations that I seem to find myself in when online, their awkwardness or inappropriateness is hidden as my remarks are also ridiculous.

There are some though that I feel would be similar if not the same in real life and thus feel that I would get along with these people in real life encounters.

I do feel however that I myself portray a somewhat 'exaggerated' persona when online. I know that I feel more confident in my comments and opinions and that regardless of the outcome of any encounter when online, that I will be safe and unharmed as soon as I leave the computer. This being said, my online persona is not different in comparison to my actual persona, just magnified in some, maybe most instances.

What do you think?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
You do find a fair few people who quite on obviously put on a persona, often seemingly for the sake of looking cool. I'll never forget a kid trying to convince me that he was having sex whilst playing toribash. There does seem to be a need by people to try and be sonme supercool person online.

Personally I don't think I do. I type how I talk in general, I do tend to be quite an eccentric guy and I'm happy with that, so why change it online?
Welcome to an Infernity of pain
Proud VorteXian
Originally Posted by Infernity View Post
Personally I don't think I do. I type how I talk in general, I do tend to be quite an eccentric guy and I'm happy with that, so why change it online?

You may not feel the need to but others may. I don't feel the need to but I have noticed that I may say things that I generally would have re-worded or not said at all in real life.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
But then is that really a persona? Rewording things? I mean it sounds like you're still being you in essence.
Welcome to an Infernity of pain
Proud VorteXian
Originally Posted by Infernity View Post
But then is that really a persona? Rewording things? I mean it sounds like you're still being you in essence.

Well I am, but in some cases I feel as though I am expressing myself more confidently or in an exaggerated sense.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
im pretty much the same irl...
maybe a little quieter, but ofcourse i cant shout at nubs for not tagging threads properly IRL...

but some people express themselves alot better through online mediums.
my buddies when chatting over msn/facebook or whatever, are alot more confident than they would be IRL.

its just... easier
Last edited by BenDover; Jun 9, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
-=Art is never finished, only abandoned=-
Originally Posted by BenDover View Post
im pretty much the same irl...
maybe a little quieter, but ofcourse i cant shout at nubs for not tagging threads properly IRL...

but some people express themselves alot better through online mediums.
my buddies when chatting over msn/facebook or whatever, are alot more confident than they would be IRL.

its just... easier

Yeah, I get that from a lot of people I know. And people that I don't talk with at school I will talk to online through Facebook.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ALL HAIL THE METAPHOR!!
No one is the same online as offline, two very different environments.
Meeting people irl that you know from online = fail, try not to do it :L
id say that my online/offline personalitys are about the same, a little exaggerated sometimes in my opinions, and i have less inhibitions about voicing my thoughts since i dont really care what you internet people think about me. actually now that i think about it i tend to find that i bullshit more IRL than i do online.
Originally Posted by Murmayder View Post
I've recently been thinking about the people that I meet online, whether it be from the Toribash forums, a game of some sort or even on Facebook and have wondered whether these people act the same in their everyday lives and whether they are as out going or as cool as I find them to bee online. Perhaps they are shy, but become more relaxed when they talk from the protection of their home and computer.

I think you hit the nail on the head. For the most part alot of the people who post on forums have an awkward social status in school or in the workplace and make up for it by making friends over the internet. They dont have any of the insecurities that hamper them from making tons of friends in there normal environment when they're posting on the internet, nobody can tell how confident you are, how attractive attractive you might be, or how much you weigh over the internet. So you could be the most shy dude on the earth and when you go home and post on the internet be a total d-bag.
Technical Old School. - It exists.