Ranking
Original Post
Is feminism important?
I am not going to give a specific definition of that I mean by "feminism" because feminism covers such a large range of campaigns and ideologies that it would be impractical or inaccurate to do so. However, in general it is the ideological movement for the social equality of the sexes and stuff like that.

Please feel free to talk about specific feminist campaigns and ideologies and whether you think they are addressing a legitimate problem or just making a fuss about irrelevant stuff. The point of this thread is not to work out whether feminism is justifiable as a whole, individual aspects of feminism being legitimate or illegitimate makes very little, if any, difference to the legitimacy of the overall ideology of feminism.

Also feel free to talk about what you think constitutes as sexist or detrimental to gender equality as a whole. For example whether not hitting a girl simply because she is a girl is sexist or just good manners, and whether adverts with sexualised women actually promote objectification of women. Whether there is a level of objectification which is acceptable on a logical level.

I think that just about covers it. Please don't argue about what feminism means, just make everyone's lives easier and state what branch or ideology of feminism you are referring to in your post.

If you feel that I should add anything to this thread starter post then just PM me or express your concerns in your posts here.

Thank you for reading, I look forward to hearing what you guys think.
Good morning sweet princess
I find it quite annoying how you don't hear so much about masculism as you do feminism.
I feel like each sex has their good points and bad points, this is one of those things that is hugely bias.
I do hate how Tumblr has changed the meaning of feminism and how it literally promotes feminism to be hateful towards males when in-fact feminism is more of looking for equality.

Here's a few examples

Good feminism, supports both sides

Bad feminism, aka feminazi

Life's not a waste of time and time's not a waste of life so let's stop wasting time, get wasted and have the time of our lives - Mr Worldwide 3:18
tumblr ruins everything

feminism is obsolete. It's ideals have been totally corrupted by feminazism and tumblr. It has no meaning in society. Standing up for your rights when you were being totally objectified and treated like trash makes sense. Women are now for the most part treated equally, what purpose does it serve to argue we want to be equal now?
Women aren't allowed to be paid less b/c of their sex, among other things. The whole movement now about women wanting to be equal is purely people living 20 years in the past when this was a thing. It's less of a movement and more of a cult imo.

Also, sexism has really switched around. While men are bullied for sexualizing women, women sexualize themselves and men and no one gives a rats ass. Obviously not all women, but the vast majority of them do.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
|Replay|ORMO|
I think that gender equality (true feminism) is being mistaken for female domination ("feminazi").
Originally Posted by Dscigs View Post
tumblr ruins everything

feminism is obsolete. It's ideals have been totally corrupted by feminazism and tumblr. It has no meaning in society. Standing up for your rights when you were being totally objectified and treated like trash makes sense. Women are now for the most part treated equally, what purpose does it serve to argue we want to be equal now?
Women aren't allowed to be paid less b/c of their sex, among other things. The whole movement now about women wanting to be equal is purely people living 20 years in the past when this was a thing. It's less of a movement and more of a cult imo.

Also, sexism has really switched around. While men are bullied for sexualizing women, women sexualize themselves and men and no one gives a rats ass. Obviously not all women, but the vast majority of them do.

So you think feminism as a movement for gender equality is a good idea but that it has achieved it aim and is now useless. Despite the existence of infanticide of baby girls in developing countries because of the belief that girls are less sussesful, you think the world has no need for a movement to try to stop sexism?

I agree that a lot of people brand themselves as feminist as an excuse to rant about stupid stuff and as an excuse to hate men but feminism as a ideology, in my opinion, is not outdated.
-----
Also, enough about feminazis, we know they are pretty annoying and/or completely deluded, please don't mention them unless you have anything valid and new to add to this idea.
Last edited by Zelda; Jan 26, 2015 at 09:47 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Good morning sweet princess
I think feminism isn't useless, what i believe is that when ppl take it too far it's just the opposite of feminism true goal. But being realistic, there is still a lot of homophobic shit going on... So i think there is point in being feminist.
No.

Advocating for only 1 side was never a good way to solve problems, but feminism was a necessary vehicle to quickly achieve specific goals in the past, but it is no longer useful. Once equality was achieved, it became an aimless movement filled with extremists.

Bringing up such issues as "Despite the existence of infanticide of baby girls in developing countries because of the belief that girls are less sussesful, you think the world has no need for a movement to try to stop sexism?" is meaningless. This is not an issue that feminism can solve, nor is it an issue that feminism is equipped to solve. This is a deep eastern cultural issue. Besides that, it has nothing to do with perceived success.

If you want to claim that feminism is not outdated then you should first define it, since first/second wave feminism is literally obsolete, and third wave has no quantifiable goals.

Originally Posted by ichasseur View Post
I think feminism isn't useless, what i believe is that when ppl take it too far it's just the opposite of feminism true goal. But being realistic, there is still a lot of homophobic shit going on... So i think there is point in being feminist.

Here is a classic example of "changing the definition of feminism to fit the argument". Homophobia has NOTHING to do with feminism. There are no stated goals or aims relating to feminism, and support of LGBTQIA+ agenda by feminists is purely incidental. People who include non-feminist issues in feminism to try and gain a situational advantage are simply manipulative. Another good example is Watson's speech where she tries to claim that feminism is somehow a movement that advocates for men (I guess she doesn't realize what organization she is giving the speech for!).

In this way feminism attempts to remain relevant and avoid criticism by being practically without definition, without goals, and without any metric to deduce who is a feminist.
Last edited by ImmortalPig; Jan 26, 2015 at 10:22 PM.
<Faint> the rules have been stated quite clearly 3 times now from high staff
I believe feminism, as in feminism by its actual definition - of having equal rights for both genders - is extremely important, why shouldn't women have the same opportunities as men, especially at a time where females are starting to get higher grades then males (although that is in correlation with the restructuring of exams compared to coursework, but that is a different discussion).

However feminism as it is seen by society such as the second video from redpanda I believe is bad as why should women get better rights than men? I do dislike the overzealous induction of feminism in carrerrs however such as the proposition that by their own rules labour were thinking of making it compulsory to have at least 50% female MPs "to ensure equality of the workplace", and after that I cry myself to sleep because those are the people who want to run my country and are one of the most likely sets of people to be able to.
There are biological differences between sexes, and there are double standards for both sexes. Total equality would be irrelevant so long as both sexes have equal opportunities.

(Men and women should have varied opportunities of equal importance, not based really on gender but on there capabilities).
I think feminism is just plain reasonable, I'm not going to harp on about all of the idiots who are advocating misandry in the name of feminism because everyone knows what it's really about. I think it's important, but it's just been ruined by militant men-haters and by those who literally don't understand it and what it aims to achieve. It's not obselete in the slightest but thanks to these kind of people it well could become just that because they can't take it seriously.

Originally Posted by ImmortalPig View Post
Advocating for only 1 side was never a good way to solve problems.

As for this, feminism does not have just focus on females you should know this if you're going to discuss the subject. Granted that a faction of whiney women might make you think it's all female focused because they never seem to mention how it is also good for men.
〈---[℘iℜatez]---[NO⍉T]---[⍉shi]---〉