Toribash
Originally Posted by R0i View Post
I mean I did mention I was already working on a head or two with 512x512
Also, no complaints here, you more over just pointed out the fact I didn't use 1024x512 like how you told me to. Which I think is more of a preference thing really. Just cause it may fix some mapping glitches here and there doesn't mean EVERYONE should use them, and it's not like everyone does use it really. People here using 512x512 and still make great heads. If I want to make a head in 512x512 it shouldn't bother you, don't address it and maybe point something else out.

if you can't or don't want to get the mapping right is a glaring issue in what you do.

and if you don't want to address it - it's your problem. don't ask me to turn a blind eye on the most important aspect of texturing.

why do you even care what everyone/not everyone is doing? your mapping is WAY off. and instead of actually focusing on getting it right, you do whatever the hell you do and expect cnc on that? really?...

if this texture was for me i would have told you this: "redo it, make the mapping right and show again"

what's the point in shading/colours if you can't get the shape?

the most fundamental aspect of texturing is correct mapping, if you don't want to care about the mapping - don't do textures - do art.

for me as a reviewer i don' care how you do your textures 512x512 or 1024x512, only the end result matters, and the end result is the same as before

so far, you seem to be systematically unable to get the mapping correctly, which is the most fundamental part of texturing.
and worst of all, you are refusing to address it and ask us to turn a blind eye on it

i would have turned down this texture if it was for me, and told you to re-do it until the mapping is right, plain and simple,

if you are offended by people pointing out your weak sides, then don't ask for cnc,
if you don't want to be bothered with the mapping - don't do textures, do art

practice your mapping to get it right first, and only after mastering it, move on to colors/shading
again, nobody cares if you do it 1024 or 512, only the end result matters
Last edited by snake; Jan 22, 2018 at 09:11 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Originally Posted by snake View Post
if you can't or don't want to get the mapping right is a glaring issue in what you do.

and if you don't want to address it - it's your problem. don't ask me to turn a blind eye on the most important aspect of texturing.

why do you even care what everyone/not everyone is doing? your mapping is WAY off. and instead of actually focusing on getting it right, you do whatever the hell you do and expect cnc on that? really?...

if this texture was for me i would have told you this: "redo it, make the mapping right and show again"

the most fundamental aspect of texturing is correct mapping, if you don't want to care about the mapping - don't do textures - do art.

for me as a reviewer how you do your texture 512x512 or 1024x512 is the least concern, i don't care, only the end result matters,

so far, you seem to be systematically unable to get the mapping correctly, which is the most fundamental part of texturing.
and worst of all, you are refusing to address it and ask us to turn a blind eye on it

i would have turned down this texture if it was for me, and told you to re-do it until the mapping is right, plain and simple,

if you are offended by people pointing out your weak sides, then don't ask for cnc,

Like I said using a 1024x512 res is more over a thing of preference, meaning if people wanna use them, let them, and if they don't, let them.
Also don't go us, you're literally the fourth person till this day that has pointed it out to me, you wanna be bothered by something I prefer to use, so be it. It's not like I ignore all the cnc I get, but if it's personal preference then let me do what I wanna do in this, it's not like it's mandatory I use that resolution. I ask for cnc on multiple things not only on my thread, through discord, through TAU, and pm'ing good artists (that use 512x512 aswell fyi go scold them too). It's very rarely anyone ever addresses the resolution, and when they do they brush it off cause it's the art on it that matters the most, it's not like I mapped it entirely wrong and left his eyes at the wrong spot.
Although I've seen some pieces in 1024x512 I didn't really spot much of a difference, I agree on it fixing some bugs here and there 512x512 resolution heads have, it isn't all too different.
look, i really don't care what resolution do you use, the mapping is off, it needs to be fixed, how you do it - up to you.

heads are stretched, it's a fact, not a preference, if you don't see it or ignore it - it's on you. i see it - i tell it. that's cnc
Last edited by snake; Jan 22, 2018 at 09:30 PM.
tell me about aikido
~referencing Dark Souls in suicidal threads since 13/01/15
Hey flyingmonk 2.0, chill out.

R0i, your mapping is alright. The eyes and face are well proportioned, but the wrinkles on the forehead were too straight and didn't feel like an old man. The skin still felt like plastic, you definitely need to bring more colour variants into your skin. Your robot part is really well done, and I can tell you're experienced at it. I highly suggest working with 1024x512. It'll really help with those horizontal lines. Good work my dude!
Originally Posted by snake View Post

for me as a reviewer i don' care how you do your textures 512x512 or 1024x512, only the end result matters, and the end result is the same as before

practice your mapping to get it right first, and only after mastering it, move on to colors/shading
again, nobody cares if you do it 1024 or 512, only the end result matters

hey uh... i think he has something against your mapping

i wish there was a rule for redundancy when criticizing. just a note for you snake: a reviewer is less credible when hes saying the same thing over and over. keep it to the point unless you have other things that irk you.

true, criticism doesnt mean a compliment, however remember it needs to be CONSTRUCTIVE. (heh, i did the caps thing like snake does to make it look really important). telling him he's doing something wrong is completely different than telling him how to fix it and how to avoid the mistake. saying "do 1024x512 to fix it" is not helpful.

anywho, since its the subject, im going to also address it. rumaging through everything that was said, i dont think anyone told you specifically what was wrong with your mapping.

theres a template for head textures that im sure you have. its labled front and back. typically the middle of the "front" circle will be your focal point. the horizontal perspective is spot on in my opinion, however i personally wouldve raised the face a smidgen, and then the entire head up. youll generally want a balance of space between the top and bottom of the texture

also

Originally Posted by Karbn
Hey flyingmonk 2.0

hes not flyingmonk 2.0 until he gets banned for something art related
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tsu tsu cuckoo
yo waddup, roi!

don't listen to snake because your mapping is fine. although, I advise using a 1024x512 template since its much easier to map and get certain details in.

even though it's hard, just try and try. I also started off 512x512 but after using 1024x512, I automatically switched to it.

about your head, mapping is fine but I'm 100% sure it'll be much better if you map it in a 1024x512. I really love the eyes and the skin shading/shadows. robot part has a nice design and glow to it. though, I feel weird about the top of the head though, looks like his forehead is the size of (insert something big here). maybe it's just me since I haven't seen a lot of bald textures.

overall, I really love your art (as always). keep improving man, I see a bright future ahead of you!

ps: just do 1024x512 ♥
Woot, alright well. I decided to try something different from my usual style

This gone be some non-toribash related stuff. I tried working on my shading, lighting, how I do hair overall.
This was the result and tbh I am proud of how it turned out, compared to my other non-tb related stuff, this is one hell of a step-up.

For any of y'all that do know a good bit about this stuff, hit me up with some cnc, there's gonna be a good bit of this put into this thread as I need a portfolio of these (around 10-20).

Portrait

Ps - My irl nickname is Wybie kcool

Also due to people saying that the previous head had a clash of style with the back not having any subtle glow, fixed that.

Flat

Preview

Also, next head will be 1024x512 k cool
Last edited by R0i; Jan 27, 2018 at 10:31 AM.
amazing quality, shading and color pallet but the sizing of the face doesn't fit the head whatsoever
you should try to make the face taller and just a tab bit wider
take some previous references from dengue who has made tons of humanoid textures

another thing that id say is that this concept has been redone and made well so many times it's become pretty bland
it doesn't take away too much from the quality, yet i'm sure you can get more creative
don't talk to me or my dudes ever again
Originally Posted by hobo View Post
amazing quality, shading and color pallet but the sizing of the face doesn't fit the head whatsoever
you should try to make the face taller and just a tab bit wider
take some previous references from dengue who has made tons of humanoid textures

another thing that id say is that this concept has been redone and made well so many times it's become pretty bland
it doesn't take away too much from the quality, yet i'm sure you can get more creative

Appreciate the criticism my guy. I will keep it in mind whenever I make a head similar to that, it's been sold anyway.
I will check out more of Dengue's stuff, from some artworks I've been seeing of his here and there especially with his set, I can tell he has a good bit experience.

Also, here's another portrait, non tb related stuff ofc:

Portrait thingy

Cnc is much appreciated
Only thing that bothers me is that the neck is ridiculously slim and disproportionate looking to me, idk why.

Hair is fabulously done and great color choice, overall the hair is the best part about it.

Lips/Eyes/Nose look really well, nose is a liiiitttle shiny at the tip imo.

The shirt or whatever to call it looks very weird in the middle where it looks kinda sharp and not as smooth or cloth/clothing alike as on the pier parts towards the shoulders, furthest point on the right has a little sharp edge thing, kinda makes it look like the shirt doesn't fold around on the backside and just covers the front, left side does it better, maybe wanna change that.

Good stuff overall
Jun 2, 2023 - .best. day. ever.