Toribash
Original Post
Flying Cars from Wipeout (Quantum levitation)

Your thoughts?
Will it be possible to drive things like these in near future?

Also vid, which explains more clearly, what quantum levitation is:

Well, as for the possibility of driving such cars in future, a few things come to mind:

1) The roads they travel on. According to the video, they require special magnet tracks to run. The act of magnetising/replacing the world's roads would be an enormous endeavour, and no doubt an expensive one. I believe this has been brought up before in a similar thread about flying cars.

2) I have no idea how expensive liquid nitrogen is, so there could be an issue with keeping the liquid nitrogen levels up as opposed to the cost. Also, are we going to be able to sit in the car with all this super cold liquid nitrogen spouting out everywhere?

3) Is the car being hollow and people-sized going to adversely affect the performance of the flying car? What about the added weight of the people inside coupled with the hollowed interior against the holding abilities of the magnet road + liquid nitrogen? Does the car have to be made of a specific material to work and is that material strong enough/not dangerous to be able to hold people?
Last edited by 4zb41; Jan 6, 2012 at 10:35 AM.
Still you have to admit its pretty cool
And liquid nitro cost less than gas for 2 reason
1 it's renewable (as far as I know )
2 the only pollution you get is water vapor

Also who said it all had to be done at once we can do certain roads at a time instead of all the time

And as for the rest it shouldn't change based on the wait as long as you have strong enough magnets hu derp
Lol I know Your jelly yeah........
Tbh, That looks fake on the first one. What kind of scientest can make a obsurd creation. Then make a game from it. (EXCLUDING GLADOS ._.)
Plus. That doesnt look like water vapor to me. It looks like a crappy motion effect with sony vegas.
"God praise your soul. <3"
~ZeToxiiK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~[Pain] is inevitable, whether you choose to suffer or preserve sooner or later, [Pain] will find you.~~

My Responce is in form of a picture

"God praise your soul. <3"
~ZeToxiiK
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~[Pain] is inevitable, whether you choose to suffer or preserve sooner or later, [Pain] will find you.~~
hmm
i think its fake
the toy car is too smooth
-----
in the sec vid
its not fake dude but why they use visual eff on first vid?
Last edited by dareflash; Jan 6, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: <24 hour edit/bump
Want some Head texture? PM ME
-SixPaths-
just as a warning, the next person who uses an imagemacro to get a point across gets a mighty hiney kicking

back to the topic
I believe this will be possible in the near future
the biggest obstacle is making room temperature super conductors.

I don't see why magnets on the road would be an issue. You just need very weak magnets since you have a superconductor in the car. They can just put the guiding magnets on the sides of the existing roads, or as bridges in the air.

They are using nitrogen to cool a conductor to get a superconductor. Like this it will not go far.
Nitrogen is 70% of air, so there is a lot of it, you take it, cool it and when you use it, it returns to air. But the cooling process of N2 to -200 degrees is very expensive, and can cause a lot of pollution. As any extreme cooling.
But than again they need not let it vaporize like that, they can make better insulation.

But room temperature super conductors are they way to go. But its hard, electrons tend to behave more random if the temperature is increased.
Last edited by missuse; Jan 6, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
wishful eyes deceive me
I suspect the first video is fake. It looks very CGI.

As mentioned the biggest issue is keeping the material below -185C. Apart from that the power consumption would be greatly reduced - all you need is a fan or jet engine. Needless to say without touching the ground the wear would be greatly reduced, no more tire replacements or road replacements.

Obviously it is a long way off for our bitchumen roads to be replaced with electro magnets, but for an alternate to maglev it is a possibility.

Static levitation is probably the more potent ability, in space it is a lot easier to keep things at low temperatures, and manipulating objects in this manner would be very desirable. I would say that considering our current maglev technology, and auto-mobile infrastructure; space and aeronautics are the first points of entry for this technology. Depending on the amount of power required to suspend a given mass, it may find its way in to the factory setting too.