ES Recruitment Drive
Original Post
[REL] Solar temple parkour
My third parkour mod :

These three difficulties change the speed of the bridge. I recommend intermediate to anyone, but if you're knew, or up for a challenge, the two others are available too !

I apologize for the lack of athmosphere outside of the temple itself, but I wanted to give a feeling of 'another dimension', like if you just entered space or something. (I would've added some stars, or pretty effects, but I also ran out of objects ;_;). I recommend this mod for singleplayer as it might be hard to navigate on the bridge with 10 tf, but if you're patient enough it should work for mp too.

Description

Grab the gold block, turns out it's not what you expected. The wall crumbles in front of you, revealing another dimension, a sun floating in its middle. You gotta be quick doe, that bridge doesn't look very stable.

Make your plans today
'Fore the evening's on
Or you'll end up
Racing with the sun.

Screenshots

I need your help :

This might not be the end version, or perhaps it'll be one of them.

Problem is the bridge, I am not sure if I made it crumble too fast or not. If anyone ran the map, and would be kind enough to post the replay, or to give me his/her opinion on the matter, I'd really appreciate it !

I might make different 'difficulty levels' for it.
Last edited by DashSora; Mar 14, 2016 at 03:31 AM.
Finished Solar Parkour
LongChin LongChin LongChin Pahkoor :>
Attached Files
Solar Parkour 1 (3).rpl (1.57 MB, 54 views)
Cool stuff! Haven't tested it myself but it looks like fun.
I can tell from the screenshots you used color variation too which makes me happy(the pillars are different shades of grey).

Only complaint I have based on looking at the screenshots is the design of the structures. It doesn't look very solar based to be, more like an evil and dark kind of temple. I also would have opted for a much warmer kind of orange rather than that piss-yellow shade.

Neat!
Start kind of looks like raidchallenge but eh, this is really cool dude! I never knew you were into modding you >.>

But yeah, it's too dark to be a solar temple ^

just saw the gif and nice layout of the mod
aaaaAAaaAasaaadABabababalnandàas2
Currently on my phone but I'll do a quick run of it later. As for my opinions on the mod: everything Jisse said applies. Also when I run it I'll be doing TF 10 no resets so that I'll be giving you the MP verdict aswell. Cheers.
First of all let me say: very nice use of thrust and env_joints to create mechanics, always glad to see people go more in depth with their modding.

From just by looking at longchin's replay, the crumbling starts way too late. My estimate would be that the crumbling should star about 300-500 frames after the statue is taken (around the time when the player has passed the first fourth of the bridge) depending on just how difficult you want it.

After the collapse starts, you might want to slow down the rate that the parts fall at. You could also add some thrust to the bottom of the falling objects to make them stabler to run on (see my sky_island mod for an example of the concept).

All in all once you get the collapsing bridge part in order, you'll have a pretty solid mod in your hands. Right now it checks all but one of the boxes for a good parkour mod in my books:
-It introduces a mechanic that let's people do something they couldn't do in the game before.
-It has a well thought out layout where every object seems to have a purpose.
-It's environment makes somewhat sense and isn't awful to look at.
-It doesn't seem to have any game breaking glitches.
-And once you get some testing done and get the timing on the bridge down, it'll also be well tested and optimised for fun experience.

Nice work.

P.S. Only thing i could see keeping this mod from being playable in mp is the amount of frames it might take to finish. Otherwise I've seen people clear a lot more challenging obstacles in mp.

P.P.S. I thought I'd share you some tips I've found usefull in my days of modding:
1. Add someone good at parkour on your steam or skype. I don't think I could have ever made the raid mods, if I didn't have Swexx and Large test them for me at every step (or atleast I would have had to spend time to lean play myself :P).
2. It took me far too long to realise this but, if you're making an interior that isn't meant to be viewed from the outside, like this mod, make the walls to be atleast 100 thick. That way The camera won't pass through them and get blocked.
3. If you already haven't, learn how to make a mod on notepad from start to finish. Modmaker is very useful for getting visual feedback on what you're doing, but it can't do all of the things notepad can. For example in notepad you can add a third decimal to your digits, which allows you to move and scale objects by just 0.001 (I don't think I have to explain why that's useful). Also sometimes the modmaker adds somethings to the mod you don't want, like altering dm_threshold of individual joints.
4. I think you already have this one down, but enjoy the process. Best mods come out when people make them for pure fun of making a really good mod.
[The Team]
<largekilla> You are going to give me cancer
I'm not done with the replay, but i'm too lazy to fix it at the moment.

I liked the beginning, you could maybe add some ropes or blade that spin around in the first jump, and maybe more obstacles that you can jump on, that are hanging loose (don't know how to spell it).

Otherwise, I like it, but I only got to the door, it didn't want to go down.
Attached Files
Parkouring - 40 - Solar.rpl (823.6 KB, 13 views)
Necrobumping Elite Master - ps dont tell Fred
jag såg de där https://gyazo.com/2bb5d1c33d72abf6549b5558c54c9fa8
Thanks to every single one of you for your amazing feedback ! I am really happy that you guys enjoy it, and I can't wait to see more replays on it !

Here's a few comments I'd like to respond to :

It's very long doe, so I'll spoiler it

Once again, thanks to every single one of you !
Last edited by DashSora; Mar 10, 2016 at 05:17 AM.
I went through half of the mod, very amazing, friend. I will finish it later
I would recommend that you put some obstacle right at and after the fall. Some cube stones or planks would be nice
And by the way, the "stone gate" when it goes down, I can not quite get a good grip on it be cause it is kinda slippery
Attached Files
SOlar PK.rpl (500.4 KB, 9 views)
Last edited by Hasea; Mar 10, 2016 at 03:21 PM.